1986 State of Origin-WA v Victoria

Remove this Banner Ad

Pardon??

Are you disagreeing with me on this point??

Well then....what proportion of the WCE squad, up until the mid 90's ,would not have walked into the state squad??

Haven't been able to find the teams, but from memory in 1991 we had around 15 players in the side that played Victoria at the WACA.

That was at the time when the Eagles had won 13 games in a row and were dominating the competition.

So less than half our squad walked into a state team at our peak and the state team still had around a third of its numbers from outside the Eagles.

Obviously, we had a very strong WA representation in the early years and the majority of WA players were in fact with the Eagles.

But when you say that the Eagles were a state side in early 90's it overlooks the fact there were still several other very good WA players running around in the AFL in colours other than blue and gold.

Haven't been able to find the teams, but from memory in 1991 we had around 15 players in the side that played Victoria at the WACA.

That was at the time when the Eagles had won 13 games in a row and were dominating the competition.

So less than half our squad walked into a state team at our peak and the state team still had around a third of its numbers from outside the Eagles.

Obviously, we had a very strong WA representation in the early years and the majority of WA players were in fact with the Eagles.

But when you say that the Eagles were a state side in early 90's it overlooks the fact there were still several other very good WA players running around in the AFL in colours other than blue and gold.

Keyser, you really should try to moderate the amount of arse smoke that you blow at times:thumbsu::);

15 of your players out of the 20...or was it 22 back then, walked into the actual state team.:eek:

Play all the semantics that you like my friend, but there is no denying that you were basically fielding the WA State Team.:thumbsu:

I doubt that any other team in the history of Footy could claim 75% of a State team at any given time.:)

I recall WA was quite ordinary in the mid 80's actually ;) I think SA beat them by 15 goals at the WACA in 85.

Keyser, you really should try to moderate the amount of arse smoke that you blow at times:thumbsu::);

15 of your players out of the 20...or was it 22 back then, walked into the actual state team.:eek:

Play all the semantics that you like my friend, but there is no denying that you were basically fielding the WA State Team.:thumbsu:

I doubt that any other team in the history of Footy could claim 75% of a State team at any given time.:)

:)

Nearly a state team.

The nucleus of a state team.

That would be fair enough to say.

If I was missing an arm I would have 75% of my limbs, but would not be a whole.

The Eagles were a state argument also ignores that many of our players were available to the other clubs but were overlooked in favour of lesser players.

I recall WA was quite ordinary in the mid 80's actually ;) I think SA beat them by 15 goals at the WACA in 85.

They did indeed.

HOWEVER, WA in the "mid 80's" won the State of Origin Carnivals on 3 occassions. (1983, 1984 and 1986). So whilst in your eyes that makes them "quite ordinary" I shudder to think what the SA sides of those years would be classed as;).

They did indeed.

HOWEVER, WA in the "mid 80's" won the State of Origin Carnivals on 3 occassions. (1983, 1984 and 1986). So whilst in your eyes that makes them "quite ordinary" I shudder to think what the SA sides of those years would be classed as;).

A team capable of beating the "champions" by 15 goals ;)

Here is my quote that you took exception to.:thumbsu:

They were pretty much a state squad up until the mid '90's.

Hardly fair, one would think.

And here is your latest reply:)

:)

Nearly a state team.

The nucleus of a state team.

That would be fair enough to say.

Hmmmm.....nucleus!!

I have a fair bit to do in the field of Biology....and I reckon you might want to rephrase that bit.:thumbsu:

In football terms, it really doesn't cut it when 75% of the embryo is made up of the same DNA.

If I was missing an arm I would have 75% of my limbs, but would not be a whole.

If you were 75% pregnant, would it count???

The Eagles were a state argument also ignores that many of our players were available to the other clubs but were overlooked in favour of lesser players.

I grant you that picking on Victoria is an obligation in WA!!

But please don't use it to back up your sorrowful WCE defence.:)

Watching that game on DVD-the 1986 WA v Vic State of Origin-still has me on the edge of my seat, especially the last quarter. First 3 quarters, A-OK, but the last....seen to be believed. If you ask any of the players who played in that game-whether it was Brereton, Peake, Salmon, Rioli, Williams, Glendinning-they'll rate that game as one of the highlights of their careers. No other State of Origin game-apart from the SA-Vic games at Football Park in the mid 1980's-has been spoken about in revered tones 24 years on, the 1986 State of Origin match between WA and Victoria. A game for the ages, and one of those games you say to the grandchildren all these years later 'I was there.'

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Watching that game on DVD-the 1986 WA v Vic State of Origin-still has me on the edge of my seat, especially the last quarter. First 3 quarters, A-OK, but the last....seen to be believed. If you ask any of the players who played in that game-whether it was Brereton, Peake, Salmon, Rioli, Williams, Glendinning-they'll rate that game as one of the highlights of their careers. No other State of Origin game-apart from the SA-Vic games at Football Park in the mid 1980's-has been spoken about in revered tones 24 years on, the 1986 State of Origin match between WA and Victoria. A game for the ages, and one of those games you say to the grandchildren all these years later 'I was there.'

Amen:thumbsu::)

Oh. BTW, you'll be interested to know who was one of the water carriers for WA in that game. None other than the late Chris Mainwaring.

Oh. BTW, you'll be interested to know who was one of the water carriers for WA in that game. None other than the late Chris Mainwaring.

Well bugger me....I didn't know that.

Thank you.

What a sad story that turned out to be.:(

Great game . We bought a box , fired up the TV and had the rest of the day (IIRC it was a Tuesday) off.

A measure of how strong the WAFL was in 1986 was that there were only eight players recalled from the VFL for the WA team.

WC picked up 4 AA's from that carnival in there initial squad IIRC.

1991 - Western Australia 19.13 (127) d. Victoria 7.9 (51) at the WACA was the best game ever.

That was my first live game of football (that wasn't WAFL), as a 8 Y.O. I still remember Bewicks bannana kick for goal like it was yesterday...

IMO, if that game doesn't make it into the top 2 or 3 games of an 'all-time best games in Australian Football'-whether it's 50 or 100 games listed or what level if it's AFL or grassroots footy-then I reckon the guy who penned the list (hopefully it's not Mike Sheahan) knows nothing about footy. I have a book at home called The Greatest Games We Ever Played featuring Australia's greatest sporting moments & contests (ie 1960 Tied Test, Newcombe winning 1975 Australian Open). The AFL is represented in the book with the 1970 Grand Final (Carlton v Collingwood), 1945 Grand Final (Carlton v South Melbourne), 1966 Grand Final (St Kilda v Collingwood) & the 1989 Grand Final (Hawthorn v Geelong), yet from some strange reason the 1986 State of Origin between Western Australia & Victoria is overlooked. And that's a shame because I reckon the WA-Vic '86 match deserved to be listed as not just one of the all-time great Australian Rules matches, but a game that should go down in Australian sports history.

BTW, this is what the then editor of Inside Football Tony Greenberg said about the 1986 State of Origin match between WA and Victoria:

"Western Australia proudly wears the crown as Australia's Football Champion following its thrilling victory over Victoria in an epic State of Origin clash at Subiaco Oval."

"..But it was our great national game which was the real winner. The capacity crowd who crammed into the ground, plus the many fans watching it on television were treated to a superb spectacle."

..."All the skills of Australian Football were on display and it must rate as one of the finest matches seen for many years."

Hey Bushie, Where did you get that match on DVD? Im chasing it for my old man. Have tried Sports Delivered ( Name a game ) but no luck...

Great game . We bought a box , fired up the TV and had the rest of the day (IIRC it was a Tuesday) off.

A measure of how strong the WAFL was in 1986 was that there were only eight players recalled from the VFL for the WA team.

WC picked up 4 AA's from that carnival in there initial squad IIRC.
4 players hey.

1987 inaugural team a virtual state squad indeed..........

Remove this Banner Ad

Back