Toast 1993 Pretenders no more

Remove this Banner Ad

Life was much simpler Gaso 🙂

Lots of memories from that year but the fact that * won the flag v Carltank after our injury riddled end to the year still grates.

If Charlie Comben turns into Carey we might give it a good shake. Pieces are in place.
. Coach
. Players
. President
. CEO

Think we are all ready for another ride.

Start of the era.

30 years ago in a few weeks.

What are your memories?

Wasn't into the footy back then. Who do you barrack for? "North". That was about it.

In 1993-94 North it got to a point you couldn't avoid the energy. Out at parties etc, you'd meet supporters coming back from Friday night games. Or see scarfs hanging out cars and ask what had happened (eg 1994 - excited bunch of blokes yelling about beating Hawthorn by 100+, Carey, Longmire, McAdam going nuts) and sensing "something is going here".

Then one day while delivering newspapers - that very front page "Pretenders No More" caught my eye. I nicked purchased a copy from my employer and the seed was sewn.

1994 was when it really kicked off for me but that initial spark in 1993 was sweet, like the first time I really connected to our fortunes.

Life was much simpler Gaso 🙂

Lots of memories from that year but the fact that * won the flag v Carltank after our injury riddled end to the year still grates.

I hated the way the "Baby Bombers" narrative stuck to that year as though it was something people were talking about all year. It's bullshit. All of the attention was on North Melbourne, the team that came from the clouds, and the amazing three-pronged attack that was tearing opponents apart. If we hadn't suffered late season injuries, the phrase "Baby Bombers" would never have been heard since.

Easily the most exciting year I’ve witnessed. I assume that ‘73 was up there, but I was only 2. 1996 was more expectation and ‘99 was an angsty season after the previous year, the slow start, and the tight finishes.

As soon as Denis was appointed you could sense the change in vibe. Even though he didn’t have Barassi’s or Clarkson’s senior resume, he still had a messiah feel.

Right from the first practice match against Geelong in Tatura (we lost), it was different. I recall we played Collingwood at Arden St later on in the pre season and Tony Shaw was taken aback at how aggressive we were.

I hated the way the "Baby Bombers" narrative stuck to that year as though it was something people were talking about all year. It's bullshit. All of the attention was on North Melbourne, the team that came from the clouds, and the amazing three-pronged attack that was tearing opponents apart. If we hadn't suffered late season injuries, the phrase "Baby Bombers" would never have been heard since.
That Friday night win over the red and black filth was a great night.

Wasn't into the footy back then. Who do you barrack for? "North". That was about it.

In 1993-94 North it got to a point you couldn't avoid the energy. Out at parties etc, you'd meet supporters coming back from Friday night games. Or see scarfs hanging out cars and ask what had happened (eg 1994 - excited bunch of blokes yelling about beating Hawthorn by 100+, Carey, Longmire, McAdam going nuts) and sensing "something is going here".

Then one day while delivering newspapers - that very front page "Pretenders No More" caught my eye. I nicked purchased a copy from my employer and the seed was sewn.

1994 was when it really kicked off for me but that initial spark in 1993 was sweet, like the first time I really connected to our fortunes.
The 94 prelim was tough to take. So close and we would have been the more deserving winners.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Similar. Moved down from NSW (where footy supporters are, or were, mostly in name only, rarely attend games and even more rarely become members), had kind of picked North as my team but not convincingly, and only really started paying attention in 1993 when the combination of changing to a new job where I was around dedicated club members and the massive buzz around the team saw me commit, start watching more regularly, and go to my first ever game.

I was a 13 year old in tears asking my dad why do we always lose ? Why are we so bad ? after we were destroyed by Adelaide in the pre season.

He told me not to be upset , that this happens to all sides and not to worry and have a little patience because the tide will turn . Well I didn’t have to be patient much longer .

The best fun i ever I had at the footy was not when we won premiership’s , because at that point I was expecting us to win and it felt more like relief … But those seasons in 93-94 were just awesome . I can’t even explain it .

Last edited:
Start of the era.

What are your memories?

Was living overseas, had been away since 91 and I first recollection was in an outdoor spa in California with these dodgy dudes doing speed. ( 91)
It was a Saturday night and we'd got beat again. I'd left home without high expectations of what was to come.

Roll onto 93 and I was in London, and I'd get the Southern cross mag every Wednesday or Thursday. And to my surprise we'd beat the Tigers and this dude A McAdam kicked 7.
I'd go grab the mag and just check the scores first thing and then I dared to dream, we were 9/2 from 11. And this name Mcadam kept showing up. I was imaging this chiselled 6ft 4 dude probably someone like Robbie Tarrant.

Then when I finally saw him, I thought oh ok- Always found him funny and he can kick goals, Adrian was so unassuming. Cleary he was carving s**t up.

1670807000845.png

Returned home in 1994 3 days before the final against the Hawks at Waverly, my first game live in over 3 years. Then I near lost my s**t the following week against the Cat. I don't think I'll ever get over that game. Blatant cheating by the umpires.

oh well indeed.

I was a 13 year old in tears asking my dad why do we always lose ? Why are we so bad ? after we were destroyed by Adelaide in the pre season.

He told me not to be upset , that this happens to all sides and not to worry and have a little patience because the tide will turn . Well I didn’t have to be patient much longer .

The best fun i ever I had at the footy was not when we won premiership’s , because at that point I was expecting us to win and it felt more like relief … But those seasons in 93-94 were just awesome . I can’t even explain it .

It's an interesting point - at the moment, we are going to games with no expectation of a win. It's almost difficult to remember a time when we'd go to a game with a sense of anxiety that we might lose. Football is more fun when it involves a lot of winning but doesn't come with a side order of stress about maybe losing.

Start of the era.

What are your memories?
1993 is the season I enjoyed the most because it was so unexpected, there wouldn't have been a single NM supporter who would have foreseen the turnaround we saw under DP, especially after that 147 defeat in the pre-season, and the "high tempo, full on attack" football we played was the most exhilarating I've ever seen.

Some of my highlights include:
  • McAdam's 7 goal debut against Richmond
  • The McAdam (10 goals) and Longmire (9 goals) show against Sydney
  • McAdam's 9 goals at Victoria Park
  • The West Coast game at the WACA, and Archer's 5 goals
  • The come from behind win against Essendon, the fourth quarter is the best quarter of football I have ever seen.

93 saw 3 players kick 60+. This is a pretty rare feat (without checking).

Sides would get no where near it now days you’d think.
It's the only time it's ever happened, and in 1993 we only played 20 games not the regular 22.

93 was special. Didn't expect it at all. There's an interview with Fruity somewhere on the internet at the end of '91 where Barassi is asking straight up why North were not playing to it's talent.....enter Pagan.

So many mental hurdles jumped in 93 and 94 that put the belief in later teams that knew they were still in it 6 goals down during a 3rd quarter.

The Essendon win in 93 was huge, but the one for me was over the Hawks in 94. I think they'd beaten is about 47 times straight, getting over them at the G made me think big things were ahead.

Also, * the baby bombers and * the 94 preliminary umps.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back