Toast 1993 Pretenders no more

Remove this Banner Ad

I smile when he's never included in the discussions around the greatest mark ever.

I was at the MCG on the first level of the old Western Stand directly behind him when he took that mark against Collingwood.

I swear I looked up at him he was that high.

The existing footage doesn't do justice to it.
Wasn’t it Gavin Crosisca that he used as a step ladder? I think he was around 6’4” or something, so it was fair leap to land cleanly on his shoulders

Wasn’t it Gavin Crosisca that he used as a step ladder? I think he was around 6’4” or something, so it was fair leap to land cleanly on his shoulders
I was behind the goals at that end and gav pushed up instead of crumbling. Seemed like he was on his shoulders for a week.

Found this photo and article on Fruity and his mark.

There is only a slight bend in his knees otherwise he is upright.
EEIxRUqU4AQAwdF

FVbC6jvUcAEeZEv

Last edited:

Believe it or not I saw it for the first time last week, up one night enjoying insomnia.

I'd hear the occasional disclaimer that he was "a cat" etc over the years. Watching him with fresh eyes (and I only ever saw his 1993 after the fact) he would be even more of a gun now. Could get the ball so many ways and kick goals so many ways and was elite at getting into position for "easy" goals.

As good as our 90s were when you compare to Hawks 80s, Geelong 00s+, Hawks 2008-15, Richmond 2010s - we didn't just come up 1 short - we were probably 2 short. 4 flags across 1993-2003 would've been appropriate recognition of our side.

If McAdam had stuck at it, the outcome could've been off the chart.

Adrian got on the wrong side of Dennis. Not a place you want to be.

That Friday night win over the red and black filth was a great night.
The Essendon win in 93 was huge.

dean wallis never had to shower friday nights as Carey gave him a bath every time we played
We had overseas visitors who wanted to see an AFL game and the hawk game just happened to be it. We sat on the fence to get immersed in the action and I have to say that I made a complete idiot of myself - I couldn't talk for days due to straining my vocal chords from giving it to them and their supporters.

Even in the Pagan era, umpires were our sworn enemies. North players seemed to have a thing about abusing umps and they copped hell in return. My umpire mates (from my work and my wife's as well) used to mention how the Geesh hated North and how the treatment umps paid out was deserved. Carey especially, even though a couple of them said when they were doing goals at North games they'd have been happy to do it for free as they had the best seat in the house.
The Friday night game where we took essendon apart is still an all time favorite.

Still see the Fridge charging though the middle of the ground, several bounces, a huge shepherd from Ishchenko and a long bomb to Carey.
It was magical stuff.

The key 15 minutes or so from the last quarter... Cracking footy:

Last edited:
I smile when he's never included in the discussions around the greatest mark ever.

I was at the MCG on the first level of the old Western Stand directly behind him when he took that mark against Collingwood.

I swear I looked up at him he was that high.

The existing footage doesn't do justice to it.
I reckon I was there or thereabouts as well, kinda near the unwashed cheer squad. There were 3 of us that stood up with our arms up when he took that hanger, amongst that part of the crowd.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back