Discussion 1st Qualifying Final - St Kilda vs Geelong

Remove this Banner Ad

Does anyone think we may be light on in regard to Ruck resources especially on the big ground with Kingy?.

If Kosi is used at CHF or FF and then Ruck this could cause issues.

I realise we can throw in Blake but just think another full time ruckman on the bench would have been good.

Maybe, but you'd have to think Kingy will be up for the task.

Kosi has been struggling as a permanent forward, so needs the stints in the ruck.

Unfortunately Macca and Woody just aren't ready yet to provide consistent forward line / ruck support, and Gardi's just coming back into the Casey line-up.

Does anyone think we may be light on in regard to Ruck resources especially on the big ground with Kingy?.

I realise we can throw in Blake but just think another full time ruckman on the bench would have been good.

We probably are not worse off than the Cats and unfortunately neither Rix or Gardner can do as much between clearances as our regular midfielders and we will need all we have got in this area. Now if we had gotten the other ruck from west coast.....

We probably are not worse off than the Cats and unfortunately neither Rix or Gardner can do as much between clearances as our regular midfielders and we will need all we have got in this area. Now if we had gotten the other ruck from west coast.....

I will not be surprised to see King v Ottens most of the game - with an eye of using Blake v Blake... Our Blake will smash this hack once the ball hits the ground. He will effectively be a 4th mid (lesser skilled I know, however bigger tank than most of our other mids).

Also hoping X will play back flank in Dempsters role... Slipping into the middle if required... And Raph... Well... Keep it up son and you will be whorshipped :thumbsu:

Not at all mate. Kingy was sublime on the G against the Blues.

Anyone get a load of Sam Newman's 'four boundary umpire' theory last night on TFS? If not, he reckons that with the extra umpire they'll have less ground to cover individually, and therefore more energy for ball-ups or throw-ins.

As a former ruckman he reckons that a throw-in that goes two metres further due to re-energised umpires will benefit the Saints more than anyone, since you blokes lead the pack when it comes to goals from stoppages.

Any truth to it?

Not at all mate. Kingy was sublime on the G against the Blues.

Yeah but he made the game played on his terms - this week they will rotate 2 big men off him and may run him down by half time.

Anyway, just my observation - I just wish we had a 22-23 yo ruckman with a few games under his belt to work off Kingy for game requirement and experience.

I only hope that if we win this week, or indeed, win a flag in the near future, we never become such rude, arrogant trolls as most of the Geelong posters who have smeared their faeces across our board this week.

You're dreaming if you think it won't happen to you. For the most part Cats supporters have been pretty good. Seen lots of comments how other posters say we're a lot better than West Coast in late 2006. It's the minority that taints your reputation.

However, I see barely any difference between Cats supporters saying we're going to smash them and Saints supporters saying the same thing. Both are arrogant and if I was being honest, Saints supporters saying that are even more arrogant than their Cats counterparts as their team haven't had the success to back it up. Granted that you don't like to see it on your own board.

Here's hoping for a great game on Sunday.

For the most part Cats supporters have been pretty good.

Yeah, well you're not one of them.

Ottens "came to us through gritted teeth" - what a load of tripe.

The door is that way ->

X's first final other than the one he played 5 minutes in.

He's a big factor in this game for mine.

Hopefully doesn't get sniped off the ball :)

Yeah, well you're not one of them.

Ottens "came to us through gritted teeth" - what a load of tripe.

The door is that way ->

Actually, I am one of them. Go look at my history and you won't see any postings where I degrade a team. What you have done is called transference Squizzy. I am pretty sure if I looked at your history I would see the exact opposite.

If you knew anything about Geelong (obviously you don't because what you quoted shows you don't), you would know that the Cats were desperate for a key forward and Ottens was on the market after failed attempts at getting Rawlings and Bradshaw. As I stated earlier, Thompson prefers trade picks rather than trading a player to the club and our playing list reflects that. However necessity demanded a trade so "through gritted teeth" he accepted that's what he had to do. He would have preferred to use the two first round picks for young players. It's not that hard to follow Squizzy.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I grit my teeth every time these turkeys come onto our board. Thought we had limited the damage to only two arseclowns (couple of decent Cats fans had levelled things out), but as we have seen there is always room for one more.

. As I stated earlier, Thompson prefers trade picks rather than trading a player to the club and our playing list reflects that. However necessity demanded a trade so "through gritted teeth" he accepted that's what he had to do. He would have preferred to use the two first round picks for young players. It's not that hard to follow Squizzy.....

Yeh great Cats man that Thompson...geeze it seems like yesterday that he was playing for the Cats...;)

Great that the Cats developed one of their own as a coach....he is an ex-Cat right???? Or was that just more "gritted teeth"?

Great also that the Cats developed one of their own as their Captain. I mean Harley never played for another AFL Club did he?? What more "gritted teeth"????

Don't kid yourself...if the Cats had not been blessed with an over abundance of father sons...they would have been trading more too.

Speaking of father sons....tell me that Gablett's daddy only ever played for the Cats???? What more "gritted teeth"....

Geeze you Cats must be a gummy jawed lot with all that "gritting of teeths" you must have clean gritted them away by now!!!!

We simply cannot allow the run and carry out of the backline. We need to play a structure that will keep players behind the ball and force Geelong to kick to a target. There is only so many contested marks even Geelong can take. That is how Collingwood ripped them apart. Ottens will be the difference. Somebody needs to beat him in the contest and we will win.

It's going to be sweet if Lenny Hayes has the measure of G Ablett. If he can take him down the rest of the team will follow. The best midfield tackle in the game this year.

How good would it be if we won and stuck it up all those journalists and media who presumed we get rolled. Already they're talking up Saints vs Collingwood Semi. The game hasn't even begun FFS, you never know what could happen. Geelong could have an off day, we could play a blinder.
Ok fair enough they think the Cats will romp it home, but nothing is ever guaranteed in football.

I reckon we could beat Geelong 1-2 times outta 10.

So if we beat them today, we'll have a very small chance of beating them in the Granny.

But if we lose we have a much tougher run. Collingwood, then Hawks.

Funny that 2,3,6,7 was the easier side of the draw when we all thought it was the other way around.

This game is now massively important with all the other results. If we won an Hawks played the Cats in a prelim, who knows?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back