Player Watch #2: Jaidyn Stephenson - dropped vs Geelong & misses out again vs Hawthorn

Remove this Banner Ad

Interesting when asked who he had met, Taylor Garner in today doing some work, nice one

There also has to be some easing of expectations though.

I highly doubt he ever becomes a center square mid at AFL level.

AFL level clearance work isn't the TAC Cup, your regular AFL clearance player is generally 6"3 and 90kg's or a Cunnington/Neale nuggetty physical animal.

Transitioning to a wing is more realistic.

I think when you watch players like Shai Bolton, players that aren't big bodies are fine if they can stand contact and have the tricks.

Ban the media from him.

He's answered enough of Pies related crap.

Yep. He's done enough for now. He's a North player but the heat is on the Pies. The "I can't wait to play them" stuff sounds great but, as good a get as he is, he hasn't backed up any talk for the past two years. Chances are a few of the Collingwood blokes are pretty keen to play against him too.

Putting added pressure on himself IMO.

Agree.

He's young & his head is spinning a bit now, so that's okay.

The footy dept will get him properly focused in good time.

Hiring a PT for pre season training...yes. I get the feeling that he will be a fantastic player for us, and this kick up the arse is better for him than any coach.

Agree.

He's young & his head is spinning a bit now, so that's okay.

The footy dept will get him properly focused in good time.
i find it disconcerting than an NMFC media person wouldn’t brief the media along the lines of “This Jaidyn’s first day as a North player and we won’t be fielding any questions on Buckley and Collingwood“. Simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They’d still ask.
Not if they were forewarned firmly. Would also give JS the opportunity to bat it away as he’s been given permission by the club.
Kids been whacked a bit by Collingwood, his head‘s spinning. I just don’t want it to be the whole narrative of this kid’s first season. Just play mate.

A North Melbourne player from Ferntree Gully.

Must make you smile and think of Larkin, Lisle, Holt, Crocker and Passmore.

I was born in Ferntree Gully. Looking at that list, some of the finest intellects to represent the club, so it makes sense.

Last edited:
Not if they were forewarned firmly. Would also give JS the opportunity to bat it away as he’s been given permission by the club.
Kids been whacked a bit by Collingwood, his head‘s spinning. I just don’t want it to be the whole narrative of this kid’s first season. Just play mate.

I don’t know enough about how far the journalists would be willing to push so fair enough. I didn’t like it either tbh. Just trying to figure out why our media team would do it. Not only was he put up, it seemed he leaned into it a bit by kicking off the presser with the talk of our facilities.

He just has to go and get a kick now. No talk. Just get it done on the field.

Hiring a PT for pre season training...yes. I get the feeling that he will be a fantastic player for us, and this kick up the arse is better for him than any coach.
I watched him squat the other day those little legs can lift ahahah few 20s from what I saw

It would just make them ask more persistently.

Seriously, you're having a crack at him for answering those questions? Rather players be honest in the media than cliched crap.
It's fair of him to be asked and answer questions re Buckley given Buckley was SEN giving his version of events this morning as to what happened.
If they keep bringing it up again at future pressers then quite rightly he or club could shut it down as "I've moved on", but I think it was relevant he was asked given Buckley's comments in the morning.

Seriously, you're having a crack at him for answering those questions? Rather players be honest in the media than cliched crap.
It's fair of him to be asked and answer questions re Buckley given Buckley was SEN giving his version of events this morning as to what happened.
If they keep bringing it up again at future pressers then quite rightly he or club could shut it down as "I've moved on", but I think it was relevant he was asked given Buckley's comments in the morning.
Yeah fair enough. I wasn’t “having a crack at him” BTW, I feel for the kid. Just don’t like the added pressure this could put on him. There’s already questions about his commitment at the contest and his work ethic, plus I feel he’s answered all the Buckley stuff, but now it’s become a Jaiydn V Buckley thing. Want it to go away.

Needs some media training. Most of those questions could have been answered lot better. Hopefully that’s the last time we hear those shitting questions no one gives a fu** about buck$
Respectfully disagree, having fronted up to media packs, been a recipient of media training, trained and prepare others for media etc I think he did a great job up against press pack that big. I've been impressed with most of his interviews has come across pretty mature for his age.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back