AFLW #2: Libby Birch - North trade R1P(19) and receive Birch+R2P(35) - Welcome Libby!

Remove this Banner Ad

Hopefully with the return of Vicki Wall (after she has been reprogrammed from her recent Gaelic and Rugby stints), plus "our girl" Libby, will help us take one further step next year.

An interesting side issue. Both Libby and Emma Kearney write regularly for the Age. I wonder what will happen with those roles now that they are (again) teammates?

Hopefully with the return of Vicki Wall (after she has been reprogrammed from her recent Gaelic and Rugby stints), plus "our girl" Libby, will help us take one further step next year.

An interesting side issue. Both Libby and Emma Kearney write regularly for the Age. I wonder what will happen with those roles now that they are (again) teammates?
I don’t think the Age/Fairfax/Nine ethics committee meets very often so they should be fine.

If they make it impossible for us to improve through the draft, we absolutely should use those late picks for great trades like this.
Agree, but bargains can be found in the draft, but it can be a little harder to spot them in women's game because of some of unique rules within the draft.

We picked up Gatt with pick 28 (2022), Wright with 32 (2019) and Ferguson with 51 (2021).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For some reason that’s our R1 pick, Collingwood had two before our first one. Ongoing mystery.
It was announced a couple of months ago that some clubs will receive compensation picks for players lost to the four most recent expansion clubs before the start of the Season 7 in late 2022.

WHAT COMPENSATION?​

ClubPlayer lostNew clubBandDraft round
AdelaideAshleigh SaintPort AdelaideFourEnd of Second Round (40)
BrisbaneEmily BatesHawthornOneMid First Round (11/12)
Greta BodeyHawthornThreeMid Second Round (32)
CarltonLucy McEvoySydneyTwoEnd of First Round (21)
CollingwoodChloe MolloySydneyOneMid First Round (11/12)
FremantleJanelle CuthbertsonPort AdelaideFiveMid Third Round (51/52)
North MelbourneBrooke BrownEssendonFiveMid Third Round (51/52)

It was announced a couple of months ago that some clubs will receive compensation picks for players lost to the four most recent expansion clubs before the start of the Season 7 in late 2022.
Oh thank you, I’d forgotten. Not great compensation for Molloy or Bates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back