Universal Love #2 Nathan Jones - Retired. Thank you Chunk

Remove this Banner Ad

:hearts: u Naffffff

How he wasn't made captain sooner ill never know. Guess it only took a coach with a brain to realise it. ;)

Its a testament to the man that he is admired by all other teams supporters, haven't met an opposition fan who doesn't rate him or love the way he plays. Club legend no doubt, has done the #2 so proud that i reckon its almost now our clubs most famous number following on from Robbie Flower (and Stephen Tingay lovers like me :p )
Tingers <3

It's a real toss-up between #2 and #11.

He'll never get an AA. :'( I still think he's a better player than Jnr even though he got one.
Hopefully he goes one better.
RHiGgpXaTei8TOUf4Fbc_Nathan%20Jones%20cup.JPG

When I look back over Jones' career (not that it's over yet) the one thing that stands out the most is that he never gives up.

It takes courage to give it everything you have through times of adversity, especially when those around you have dropped their heads.

We're on the way up now and he deserves every moment going forward.

Congratulations on 250 Chunk and keep it going.

Here to pay my respects.

Pups like Trac, Brayshaw and Oliver would have little idea of the s**t Jonesy has had to wade through just to get to where we find ourselves today. They owe it to him to play their guts out against the dogs next week and every week for the rest of the year. And we as supporters owe it Nate to get out to etihad next week and show our respect for this legend of our club. MUCH LOVE No.2

Still a weapon and hopefully will continue to be as he has to carry less and less of the inside midfield load. Surely will transition beautifully to the Lewis/Vince role.

I love how even when he happens to be in some space these days, his muscle memory (from years of having 4 blokes hanging off him with every disposal) still makes him get rid of it in a split second. And still hits the target 9 times out of 10.

Love even more that in the last quarter over the last couple of weeks you see him shoot into screen to celebrate someone else's goal with just a massive smile on his face. Is absolutely loving it.

If we did manage to snare a flag while he was still here it would be one of the better footy stories. At the very least, I hope he gets the chance to make noise in a couple of Finals series before he hangs them up. What a champion.

wont happen, but I hope Melbourne supporters turn up to Etihad in their droves to pay homage to the great man
Hope the club really puts the call out to the fans to come down to see him play this weekend. Never a better opportunity to get a decent dees crowd to Marvel. Hoodoo is well and truly gone, we are absolutely flying on field coming against a struggling opposition. Would be embarrassing if we didn't turn up with a strong contingent.

Got a little emotional thinking about his 250th. I genuinely think if Jones hadn't been at Melbourne or had left in 2012 the club may not have survived. I one day would like to shake his hands look him in the eye and say thanks. :melbourne:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Got a little emotional thinking about his 250th. I genuinely think if Jones hadn't been at Melbourne or had left in 2012 the club may not have survived. I one day would like to shake his hands look him in the eye and say thanks. :melbourne:
inb4 it turns out he’s at the centre of a doping scandal

So much love for the great man. I'm so stoked that we have now really turned the corner with him still playing great footy. Finally getting some reward for years of being the only competent/senior player in the team. Really hope he gets the fairytale finish - it's got a lot of Flower/Bob Murphy about it.

So much love for the great man. I'm so stoked that we have now really turned the corner with him still playing great footy. Finally getting some reward for years of being the only competent/senior player in the team. Really hope he gets the fairytale finish - it's got a lot of Flower/Bob Murphy about it.
Flower, yes. I think he’s the only modernish precedent for Jones’ career, really. Bob at least played in three prelim finals between 2008-2010 (mid career) and 10 finals total in his career. Played alongside plenty of star players too, in Grant, Johnson, Cooney, Boyd, and a few others. Jones has played most of his career as the lonehand, and only played finals at the start (and hopefully the end). Hope he kicks on to 300, too

I farking love Jonesy. It actually shits me that the footy club seems to regularly refer to Viney as 'the captain' and that he gets more airplay - I'm still in the camp that wanted Jonesy to be the solo captain as long as he loves it.

Remember how poor his kicking was when he first came through? He just worked and worked and worked and turned himself into an outstanding footy player when barely any of his teammates were able to improve under the same coaching staff.

Bails was great for Jonesy.

Is in my favourite 3 MFC players of all time with Yze and Jakovich.

Last edited:
Definitely do that. Word of advice - don’t do it drunk. You’ll tear up, get all expansive and spill your drink with extravagant gestures, wont make any sense and will generally embarrass yourself and anyone within earshot.

Never mind how I know this.

Remember how poor his kicking was when he first came through? He just worked and worked and worked and turned himself into an outstanding footy player when barely any of his teammates were able to improve under the same coaching staff.
I watched much of the Swans game on the weekend and watching Zak Jones kick (like a mule) was a great reminder of how far Nathan has come. Deserves huge credit for working so hard to improve his kicking from wild to reliable. Perhaps he can give Hunt some lessons?

Just thinking, and had to make a note during the celebration week. Up until last year when he got injured we often marvelled at Jones's ability to consistently get up every game. Strung along heaps of games and remarkably kept injury free. But he's hardly ever been suspended, i can't even recall if he ever has or when it last was. Outstanding to think that someone who plays the game with aggression in the midfield for the majority of his career could avoid injury and suspension.

I honestly think his ability to play with the right aggression but maintain a cool head is testament to his character and leadership

Just thinking, and had to make a note during the celebration week. Up until last year when he got injured we often marvelled at Jones's ability to consistently get up every game. Strung along heaps of games and remarkably kept injury free. But he's hardly ever been suspended, i can't even recall if he ever has or when it last was. Outstanding to think that someone who plays the game with aggression in the midfield for the majority of his career could avoid injury and suspension.

I honestly think his ability to play with the right aggression but maintain a cool head is testament to his character and leadership

He always seems to pick one bloke out chokehold them on the ground for a minute and avoid a wrestling fine.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back