AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

How many to advantage? Because the eye test had draper holding his own.
Specsavers%20Logo-page-001.jpg

:)
Was at the game and watched the replay twice. My view is he got done.
ROB 15
Sam 7
2MP 2

Specsavers%20Logo-page-001.jpg

:)
Was at the game and watched the replay twice. My view is he got done.
ROB 15
Sam 7
2MP 2

Thanks for providing that, because stating "hit outs" shows us nothing.

Anyway as mentioned earlier Draper had over 20% less gametime than ROB and also I'd argue had more influence on the contest with his 6 clearances to 1. I know he's a ruckman, but judging a players game based on hitouts is short sighted especially when it comes to a player like Draper who's strength I feel is being able to affect the play after the ruck contest.

Nah, he wasn't great.

He still needs a year or so.

I didn't say he was great, I said he held his own. Don't think ROB had an overwelming influence on the game to say that Draper got "done". Clearly draper needs more years and preseasons as he's still playing low gametime. Clearly runs out of puff.

Thanks for providing that, because stating "hit outs" shows us nothing.

Anyway as mentioned earlier Draper had over 20% less gametime than ROB and also I'd argue had more influence on the contest with his 6 clearances to 1. I know he's a ruckman, but judging a players game based on hitouts is short sighted especially when it comes to a player like Draper who's strength I feel is being able to affect the play after the ruck contest.

Well it was a reply to a comment that ROB had most of his hit outs against a tired Draper and Wright in the second half so quoting the first half hit outs was appropriate. Not sure how that is short sighted. Maybe posters need to read the conversations !

Well it was a reply to a comment that ROB had most of his hit outs against a tired Draper and Wright in the second half so quoting the first half hit outs was appropriate. Not sure how that is short sighted. Maybe posters need to read the conversations !

Even ignoring that conversation, your post saying that draper got pantsed is the statement I'm talking about. Even accounting for the fact draper had 24% less TOG, he still managed to put up very similar numbers (not including hitouts), but in return he had 6 clearances to 1. I'd say he very much held his own.

Even ignoring that conversation, your post saying that draper got pantsed is the statement I'm talking about. Even accounting for the fact draper had 24% less TOG, he still managed to put up very similar numbers (not including hitouts), but in return he had 6 clearances to 1. I'd say he very much held his own.

Stop making up facts.
I said he got done and he got his pants pulled down referring to the hit out comment. He did.
Never said punished or smashed or anything like that.
Number 1 job of the ruck is to win the hit outs. Sam will be a great player. Right now he is struggling a bit.

Stop making up facts.
I said he got done and he got his pants pulled down referring to the hit out comment. He did.
Never said punished or smashed or anything like that.
Number 1 job of the ruck is to win the hit outs. Sam will be a great player. Right now he is struggling a bit.

If your post was referring specifically to hitouts then it's a misunderstanding and I apologise for that, but I read it differently. You said he got pansted and that a few things he did made people have the blinkers on. If you were still talking about hitouts then thats whatever- don't really care about who wins hitouts, I care about how that translates into the play.

If your post was referring specifically to hitouts then it's a misunderstanding and I apologise for that, but I read it differently. You said he got pansted and that a few things he did made people have the blinkers on. If you were still talking about hitouts then thats whatever- don't really care about who wins hitouts, I care about how that translates into the play.

It certainly was directed to hit outs given that was the of the conversation.

Can not agree on your hit out comment. Adelaide may not have had the midfield to make use of them but as I said the number one job of the ruck is win the hit outs and have the most hit outs to advantage. What happens after that is not under his control. The rucks bread and butter is hit outs. If it was not then you would just plonk anyone in the ruck.

It certainly was directed to hit outs given that was the of the conversation.

Can not agree on your hit out comment. Adelaide may not have had the midfield to make use of them but as I said the number one job of the ruck is win the hit outs and have the most hit outs to advantage. What happens after that is not under his control. The rucks bread and butter is hit outs. If it was not then you would just plonk anyone in the ruck.

To be fair plonking anyone in the ruck has worked in recent times :p

Fair point, I put alot of value in rucks that take contested marks, kick goals, get clearances ect. Doesn't make hit outs a non factor but as you said it also requires your midfield to be competent enough to take advantage of it, so therefor I prefer to look at other factors.

To be fair plonking anyone in the ruck has worked in recent times :p

Fair point, I put alot of value in rucks that take contested marks, kick goals, get clearances ect. Doesn't make hit outs a non factor but as you said it also requires your midfield to be competent enough to take advantage of it, so therefor I prefer to look at other factors.
Plonking anyone in as second ruck has worked a bit but it has worked based on the number 1 ruck playing 80 - 90 percent of the ruck time.
It is not the rucks fault the midfielder or the rest of the side is not much chop. He can win his position as the better ruck. A good midfield can suffer from having a poor ruck.
At the end of the Day Sam was better with his clearances , even with possessions , just better in tackles and a long way back in hit outs.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yes he’s the number one but he’s also still very much a raw project, learning on the job and all that. Shows glimpses to indicate he’ll be a good tap ruck and a great up the line target but I reckon we’re expecting too much of him.

ROB had 24 hit outs in the first half. Sam had 11 and and 2MP had 4.
Sam got his pants pulled down but a mark and a bit of a dash and a bounce seem to blind a lot of people.
If you look through the involvement clips on the afl app you'll see half of ROB's hitouts in the first half came from contests against Wright, Hooker or even Jones. By my count it was 11 but I'm giving myself a margin of error of one either way since I'm tired and only scanned it in a few mins.

Don't think Draper dominated by any stretch but pants pulled down is an overexaggeration.

Edit: I'll also add that of ROB's overall H2As, 8/15 came against rucks that weren't Draper.

All of Draper's 7 H2As came against ROB.

Last edited:
If you look through the involvement clips on the afl app you'll see half of ROB's hitouts in the first half came from contests against Wright, Hooker or even Jones. By my count it was 11 but I'm giving myself a margin of error of one either way since I'm tired and only scanned it in a few mins.

Don't think Draper dominated by any stretch but pants pulled down is an overexaggeration.

Edit: I'll also add that of ROB's overall H2As, 8/15 came against rucks that weren't Draper.

… so Draper and ROB were even for H2A, head to head? Interdasting

Looks great. But I refuse to get excited until he can stay on the park. Emotionally I can’t handle all these injuries our star players get.

One thing I'll say about Draper is he's definitely a big, physical presence out there. I reckon he'll be the type that makes our other players stand a bit taller. A bit like how GWS always played better with Mumford out there. Not necessarily because he dominated the actual ruck either but just his general physicality that he brought to the contest. Draper could be that for us.

He will need some continuity with his fitness though and some games of experience.

One thing I'll say about Draper is he's definitely a big, physical presence out there. I reckon he'll be the type that makes our other players stand a bit taller. A bit like how GWS always played better with Mumford out there. Not necessarily because he dominated the actual ruck either but just his general physicality that he brought to the contest. Draper could be that for us.

He will need some continuity with his fitness though and some games of experience.
Hopefully without be a professional dirty clutz.

Yes he’s the number one but he’s also still very much a raw project, learning on the job and all that. Shows glimpses to indicate he’ll be a good tap ruck and a great up the line target but I reckon we’re expecting too much of him.

Stadium would have exploded had he kicked that.

Gotta say, this is what I thought I saw.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back