AFL Player # 2: Sam Draper

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm beginning to think he may not be the Matthew Lloyd replacement we thought he would be.

Jokes aside as an actual ruckman and in terms of impact around the clearances he's coming along really well.
In the offseason if he can work on his set shot ball drop so that maybe he can nail some of those 30m or less kicks that will be a huge bonus.

He made one very stupid error at one point, with the game in the balance, which tells me he’s still got a lot of work to do on his footy smarts/awareness. With all of our centre square midfielders on the offensive side of him, and as the ball came loose toward him, he ran past the ball to make contact with the oncoming North player which simply opened up the corridor for the North players behind him. A goal resulted from memory. He had to take possession in that situation and keep our midfielders in the contest.

Arguably still BOG despite 7 straight probably be the single biggest factor in the win.

Absolutely torched English which was the way the midfield got on top (because it was otherwise getting belted head to head).

My favourite bit of play was when he gave away a free kick in the second. We had the ball going our way from a centre bounce and he ran with one of their mids, flew past a few players, and smashed that Dog giving away the free. Then there was a similar incident when he hustled English in the third.

Big game and a really good gauge of how he is tracking given he is the same age as English with about 30% of the games.

Big game and a really good gauge of how he is tracking given he is the same age as English with about 30% of the games.
A matchup you'd expect Draper to do well from though, in that English has about as much mongrel as a wet paper bag.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The connection he had with Shiel, thumping the ball forward when he had the mismatch in the ruck was fantastic.

Just wish Shiel kicked the ball better into F50.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back