Senior 20. Elijah Hollands

Remove this Banner Ad

Adding a few things.

While addressing a need, Hollands wouldn't have been the type I would have targeted as a priority, as I think we lack speed/xfactor in the forward half and midfield

What he does have, fits our list well

Has elite vision/decision making, penetrating off both sides, strong overhead, hard at the contest and elite runner

Adding a few things.

While addressing a need, Hollands wouldn't have been the type I would have targeted as a priority, as I think we lack speed/xfactor in the forward half and midfield

What he does have, fits our list well

Has elite vision/decision making, penetrating off both sides, strong overhead, hard at the contest and elite runner
Got some mutha *en swagger as well.

Dow is 24 and has played 73 games. Has exposed form and his flaws are pretty clear at AFL level including a lack of versatility.

E Hollands is 21 coming off an ACL in his draft year and part of the drafts that were impacted by COVID. Has played 14 games and mostly for some unknown reason as a wing, when he was a HF/mid as a junior.

Dow is what he is, E Hollands hasn't been given the exposure or development to find his ceiling.

Comparing the two is nuts imo.
On the other hand, as of now, they are both Former high draft peaks who aren’t best 22 at their current teams. You also could just as easily argue that the greater certainty around Dow pushes his value higher.

In terms of market value, I reckon they are very comparable.

On the other hand, as of now, they are both Former high draft peaks who aren’t best 22 at their current teams. You also could just as easily argue that the greater certainty around Dow pushes his value higher.

Certainty in what his limitations are pushes his value higher than a kid who hasn't even played 20 games and was recovering from an ACL in his first season?

Makes perfect sense.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Elijah was projected to go number 1 in his draft year before he did his ACL

Many opposition supporters were shocked/rather annoyed we got D2 very cheaply.

I sincerely hope Dow kicks on at St Kilda, but for our club and our list demographic and chemistry, Elijah definitely strikes me as the better fit for us

Time will tell, it always does.

He's a good size too, 189cm and 80+ kg, in that tallish but not too tall Judd type midfielder size.

It's refreshing looking he and his brother up on Footywire and seeing that Elijah is not yet 22 and Ollie is still only 19 and 9mths! Funny thing is Ollie has played a few more games than Elijah.

All I'm seeing is massive upside.

Certainty in what his limitations are pushes his value higher than a kid who hasn't even played 20 games and was recovering from an ACL in his first season?

Makes perfect sense.....
I mean…that’s right. Dow is clearly an AFL standard player, but with some clear limitations. Hollands a complete unknown, who could be better or worse than Dow. Some might favour the certainty, some the gamble. We can afford to gamble, others might not want to. just cause you value the upside higher, doesn’t mean the market does. I think their values are pretty comparable insofar as the trade market is concerned.

Potential is just academic until it’s realised. And there have clearly been question marks over Hollands application, whatever the reason for that might be.

I’m much prefer Hollands for us than Fow, but probably don’t agree that we got him for way unders

Last edited:
I mean…that’s right. Dow is clearly an AFL standard player, but with some clear limitations. Hollands a complete unknown, who could be better or worse than Dow. Some might favour the certainty, some the gamble. We can afford to gamble, others might not want to. just cause you value the upside higher, doesn’t mean the market does. I think their values are pretty comparable insofar as the trade market is concerned.

Potential is just academic until it’s realised. And there have clearly been question marks over Hollands application, whatever the reason for that might be.

Far from a complete unknown.

His skill set (both sides, long kick, creative and clever ball user, likes a snag) are well known as is his running ability.

Just needs game time now.

Far from a complete unknown.

His skill set (both sides, long kick, creative and clever ball user, likes a snag) are well known as is his running ability.

Just needs game time now.
If you judged Dow solely on VFL form, you’d come up with a promising report and say he just needs to play. The difference is we know he has his limits at the next level because he’s actually played. We just don’t know about Hollands and I think it’s weird to suggest otherwise, no matter how optimistic we might be. Particularly given the reported attitude stuff.

I’m much prefer Hollands for us than Fow, but probably don’t agree that we got him for way unders

A complete unknown....

This conversation is a complete waste of time.

Enjoy

The photographs your mob have of some important person at Gold Coast must be truly heinous. Unbelievable trade.
They do it every year. They are a joke of a club and even the players couldn’t take their club seriously after the Bowes trade last year.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back