Delisted #20: Jackson Merrett - not offered a contract for 2019 - 22/8

Remove this Banner Ad

Greens a heaps better forward and a heaps better player at AFL level.

Not so sure, Merrett has never played in Greens last man in the line position at AFL level, it's what he was doing at VFL level when he was playing so well at the end. Merrett was generally hit up forward at AFL level.

Lol Port get rid of reasonable depth players and then go after Thomas, Jackson Merrett and Mullett. They are better off getting kids or state league stars.

Have tried with eddy and kane mitchell in the past look where that ended up :(

Whats the knock on jackson? And what are his strengths? Never heard or seen him play much

Have tried with eddy and kane mitchell in the past look where that ended up :(

Whats the knock on jackson? And what are his strengths? Never heard or seen him play much

He doesn’t impact the game enough. He has OK speed, shot at goal, endurance etc. He is more of an outside player but can go unsighted for large periods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Not so sure, Merrett has never played in Greens last man in the line position at AFL level, it's what he was doing at VFL level when he was playing so well at the end. Merrett was generally hit up forward at AFL level.
He wasn't good enough pre injury to knock him out of the 22. He's 24 and has hardly looked up to it. List clogger and we should move on

He wasn't good enough pre injury to knock him out of the 22. He's 24 and has hardly looked up to it. List clogger and we should move on

He would/should have the week of. Green was getting much worse as the year rolled on.

Hardly looked up to it is a bit much, let's not forget Merrett had a really good patch a few years ago on playing a high half forward role. Even polled Brownlow votes something Green has never done.

I have no issue with Jackson being on the list in a "break glass in case of emergency" capacity.

Who is he preventing from getting a game in the 22? Nobody.

Is it worth keeping him as someone who could fill a need if required rather than take a speculative pick in a weak draft? Possibly.

Would I be disappointed if we did let him go? No.

Good luck to him. I think that there could be a player there but he has swung from one extreme to the other with us. Largely ineffective defensive forward to completely outside running player with no physical presence. Doubt that he'll amount to much with us, struggling for game time in 2016 demonstrated Worsfold's feelings, but he might still be able to eek out a career.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Our planning will be in shambles if both Morgan and Merrett find new homes. You don't want tò many picks in this draft. Possibly we could go 38 and 6.
Why? Can grab DFA, State league players or promote rookies to the senior list.
Better off giving other players a chance rather than stick with Morgan and Jackson Merrett. If they can get better offers elsewhere they should take it. Best for both players and Essendon.
Next years 'super draft' Essendon doesn't have a third rd pick so should be able to easily free up enough list spots.

Would of kept him around to keep Zach happy but other than that, I would of delisted/ traded him 2 years ago.

Would of kept him around to keep Zach happy but other than that, I would of delisted/ traded him 2 years ago.
It's s**t like this that makes me perplexed. 2 years ago he was a 22 year old forward/mid who had shown that he could make a step up to AFL level. Since then he has stagnated.

Somewhere inside the body of Jackson is an AFL player with lots of mongrel and aggression. We need to find away of letting him out....

His skills are pretty good, his running isn't bad. But he fades in&out of games and doesn't have the coaches support.

Is he being played in the wrong position? Could he be re trained to play back pocket perhaps ?

Personally think that he suffers from being compared with his superstar brother. It's like we all want him to be that guy, when he isn't that guy.

Reminds me a lot of Ricky Dyson.Good kick, but soft as a pussy.

That said, he has all the tools is young enough and could become a servicable role player.

Premiership teams need guys foot soldiers as well.
Low risk in keeping him. I say re train him as a back pocket player and make him learn how to wrestle and box toughen him up.

Why? Can grab DFA, State league players or promote rookies to the senior list.
Better off giving other players a chance rather than stick with Morgan and Jackson Merrett. If they can get better offers elsewhere they should take it. Best for both players and Essendon.
Next years 'super draft' Essendon doesn't have a third rd pick so should be able to easily free up enough list spots.

You are not a strategist. YOU don't want many late or rookie picks in the 2017 draft. Seriously 2018 is a good draft and pick 50 in 2018 is probably worth pick 30 in 2017.And there is little point grabbing a DAD.

You are not a strategist. YOU don't want many late or rookie picks in the 2017 draft. Seriously 2018 is a good draft and pick 50 in 2018 is probably worth pick 30 in 2017.And there is little point grabbing a DAD.
lol Jackson Merrett and Morgan are known quantities as both couldn't get a senior game in 2017. If your 'strategy' is simply to hold them so they are to be delisted to free up more lists spots for the 2018 draft that is very conservative.
Can easily grab 2 delisted free agents (on the same money) from other clubs on 1 year contracts and see if they can turn their careers around and if they don't still have the same result as holding Jackson Merrett and Morgan. So my strategy has zero risk with potentially greater rewards.

It's s**t like this that makes me perplexed. 2 years ago he was a 22 year old forward/mid who had shown that he could make a step up to AFL level. Since then he has stagnated.
Um no, 2 years ago he was coming in to a season where he was unlikely to get games in a side full of state league fill ins. Go back 3 years and your comment is fair.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back