AFL Player #20: Peter "Litre" Wright 🏅 - Pleads guilty at tribunal, 4 week suspension - 26/3

Remove this Banner Ad

In theory our delivery into the fwd line where we kick it high on top of our forwards heads should suit 2MP.
I can just see it now......all of our fwd entries will now involve kicking at players ankles.

It's okay. Tippa will clean up. We should have been kicking to his ankles all along. The guy is a wizard with ground balls.

Seems to be have stagnated from being a highly touted junior, but might be from limited opportunity and Stewie Dew playing favourites. Almost a free hit from draft perspective, probably going to play a Mason Cox type role and instructed to ensure he brings the ball to ground for the smalls up forward

Wright has a stack of things that cannot be taught.

Great mobility, athleticism, coordination and kicking action for a man of 203cm (to my eye the size of a big ruckman without being an absolute giant). He's a natural in many ways which is clearly why he was such a high pick back in 2014.

Obviously he has his flaws, that's why he's just been salary dumped for a 4th round pick.

The jury is out on how effectively stronger marking and intensity, which would be the main things that have held him back (forward craft is hard to judge in the basket case sides he has played in), can be taught. We've had some pretty good recent results. In any event, I don't think it's particularly relevant as his record stacks up as good enough to be a stop gap for an immediate benefit (he wasn't playing because of the quality of the 3 talls at GC he was competing with). Even if he did not improve he instantly slots in as a forward target and gives Draper ruck relief as a genuine second ruck (as someone who has always rucked and has some of the craft). He splits the focus on Stewart and should ensure Stringer is on a third tall. While not how I would have seen things a few years ago it's a solid enough combination. If this is his limit he could be overtaken in 3 to 5 years (depending on when we find the next guy and how ready he is).

The interesting thing about Wright, and obvious source of appeal and controversy, is whether we can round out the development of the former top 10 pick to get him to realise his potential. I look at him as a very similar prospect to Stewart with many of the same flaws, albeit it Wright starts from a higher base (reflecting more potential). I'm pretty confident he will get better. If he could match the level of improvement Stewart has made he could lead the forward line for 150 games.

It's a good signing to which I see no downside.

Last edited:
Is he an upgrade on McKernan?
This is where I look at it. He does not have to be great. All he needs to do is provide us with a bit of ruck and a bit of forward.

Is he an upgrade on McKernan?

Both SMACK & 2 meter Peter have pretty similar stats really - SMACK averaged more hitouts but has spent more time in the ruck than Peter, peter has a decent 1.3 goal average per game.

SMACK
games - 83, ave disposals - 11.3, marks - 3.9, tackles - 1.7, hitouts - 9.2, goals - 0.8

2 meter Peter
games - 66, ave disposals - 11.6, marks - 5, tackles - 1.7, hitouts - 5, goals - 1.3

Plenty more upside with 2 meter Peter

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Stoked! Fantastic get at the price and fills a desperate need. Big bloke that can clunk it up forward and kick straight as well as being a decent chop out in the ruck. Still scope for improvement too.

Even those who don't rate him can surely agree, at the very least he's a huge upgrade on McKernan.

Both SMACK & 2 meter Peter have pretty similar stats really - SMACK averaged more hitouts but has spent more time in the ruck than Peter, peter has a decent 1.3 goal average per game.

SMACK
games - 83, ave disposals - 11.3, marks - 3.9, tackles - 1.7, hitouts - 9.2, goals - 0.8

2 meter Peter
games - 66, ave disposals - 11.6, marks - 5, tackles - 1.7, hitouts - 5, goals - 1.3

Plenty more upside with 2 meter Peter
I was alarmed at how comparable 2MP was to Charlie Dixon prior to moving across to Port Adelaide. No one expected Charlie to become the dominant forward he is but the stats of both are also pretty similar.

I was alarmed at how comparable 2MP was to Charlie Dixon prior to moving across to Port Adelaide. No one expected Charlie to become the dominant forward he is but the stats of both are also pretty similar.
Dixon had plenty of injuries at GCoast, plenty, it’s as if a magic wand has been waved over him at Port

Happy to have Pete here. I preferred him over Brown and Hogan. I just think he is primed to be a solid player for us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back