Draft Review 2005 - Redo the 2005 Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Looking purely at stats, Murphy gets better numbers across his career than Deledio. This is while getting tagged in pretty much every game he's ever played.

The other Essendon poster also seems to point out that Richmond being a top 8 team at the moment impacts this discussion, if so, it must be said that across their careers Carlton has played more finals (including winning some).

Hit search, look up Matthew Lloyd with me as the poster.

Then come back.

And I could care less what another Essendon poster has to say.

Except he wasn't.

Luke Hodge is a three time premiership captain, duel Norm Smith Medallist.

Nick Riewoldt is a five time All Australian, and one of the best CHFs in the games history.

Adam Cooney was a Brownlow medallist.

Brendon Goddard was arguably the best player in the league for three years.

Murphy is not a spud, but he is far from a great.
You just don't quit do you, i've explained myself, you're an idiot.

AND
Adam Cooney would be redraft below Waters, Mundy and arguably Jed Adcock, i.e Murphy is a better return for pick 1 than him.
Luke Hodge would be redrafted below Chris Judd and probably Sam Mitchell, then you could also mount cases for the likes of Steve Johnson, Dane Swan and Jimmy Bartel (norm smith medalists, brownlow medalists in there) so Murphy is the same if not better return for pick 1.
And you've conveniently dropped Deledio off your list who was also shown to be a lesser return than Murphy

Again, i'm not comparing players. I'm comparing draft value and who got value for draft picks. Murphy is an example of a good return on a number one pick. So are all the players you mentioned. However this trend has not continued in RECENT years (as per my original post) as all of Gibbs, Kreuzer, Watts, Scully and Swallow have clearly been shown not to be in the top 3-5 range (Gibbs very close) which the five or six years up until Murphys draft consistently were. And that's without passing judgement on the younger number ones like Boyd, Patton, Whitfield and McCartin, who look to be continuing the recent trend in not being in the very top tier of players from their draft pool.

Marc Murphy is a clear number 2 in this draft behind Pendles anyone who disagrees either cant get past the carlton hate or haven't paid much attention to afl since the 2006 season. 2006 aflpa best first year player he also would have won the rising star if not for missing the last half of the season with injury, AFLCA player of the year 2011 an extremely difficult award to win, 6 times he has finished top 3 in the best and fairest, in 2012 a season he missed the top 3 in the BnF he was equal favorite for the brownlow when he injured his shoulder and was a major reason our season was derailed that year, if it wasn't for competing against C.Judd and missing games last year he would have 4 or 5 BnF awards, only pendles has been as consistently good over their careers, he has also been a fantastic finals player in the 6 finals he has played in and was getting tagged in his first season, some people like to down play the smaller type mids in Murphy and cotchin but the facts are they both have been getting tagged since their first seasons that says something about how good they have been for a long time.

[he is also an Anzac day medalist, essendon and Collingwood supporters seem to put so much importance on this achievement so I might as well put it in here as well]

Not one person would pick Murphy over Kennedy, unless they are a Carlton fan. I have defended Murphy in this thread too, before you call me a hater or biased.

Not one person would pick Murphy over Kennedy, unless they are a Carlton fan. I have defended Murphy in this thread too, before you call me a hater or biased.

I agree that kennedy now would be picked ahead of Murphy right now, to build a side I would take him in front of pendlebury also but pendles and murphy have been more consistently good over their career, murphy since his first season and pendles from his second , its not easy to come in and perform from day one in the middle, Ablett took 5 or 6 years to become a star in the middle jobe watsons first 5 or 6 years were so bad he was almost traded and he is supposed to be essendon royalty.

AND
Adam Cooney would be redraft below Waters, Mundy and arguably Jed Adcock, i.e Murphy is a better return for pick 1 than him.
Luke Hodge would be redrafted below Chris Judd and probably Sam Mitchell, then you could also mount cases for the likes of Steve Johnson, Dane Swan and Jimmy Bartel (norm smith medalists, brownlow medalists in there) so Murphy is the same if not better return for pick 1.
And you've conveniently dropped Deledio off your list who was also shown to be a lesser return than Murphy

Absolutely ridiculous argument.

Marc murphy is perhaps at Cooney level post cooney's injury but doesn't hold a candle to some of the others.

Just because there are a couple of players better than the #1 pick in their draft it does not alter their value up against a disappointing murphy

Absolutely ridiculous argument.

Marc murphy is perhaps at Cooney level post cooney's injury but doesn't hold a candle to some of the others.

Just because there are a couple of players better than the #1 pick in their draft it does not alter their value up against a disappointing murphy
I'm not going to respond to a post that has so grossly misinterpreted my post.

I'm not going to respond to a post that has so grossly misinterpreted my post.

That's fine. Your comfortable with murphy's mediocrity because there aren't too many people better in his draft class. Lofty expectations there

That's fine. Your comfortable with murphy's mediocrity because there aren't too many people better in his draft class. Lofty expectations there
Only a bulldogs player would think Cooney is a better player than Murphy.
Cooney has been a hack for the majority of his career now.

What a waste of a pick.

Only a bulldogs player would think Cooney is a better player than Murphy.
Cooney has been a hack for the majority of his career now.

What a waste of a pick.

Essendon supporter right here.

Cooney was better.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep, i dont follow any Essendon supporters opinion on football.

Course not.

I mean you've had multiple people from multiple teams laugh at your assertions re: Murphy.

But we're all wrong, and you're right.

Marc Murphy 94 career Brownlow Votes
Adam Cooneu 82 career Brownlow Votes

And Cooney even won one one year haha, Cooney had a couple of good seasons..Murphy has been consisently good his entire career.

Murphy has also played 30 less elligible games, and therefore averages almost 0.1 more brownlow votes per game almost half a vote per game, as opposed to Cooney at 0.37.

Again, not going to respond to posters who cant comprehend posts.

Murphy is a solid player no one says he isn't.

But he's a long way from elite, and if not for the fact that Melbourne and Carlton combined to give us a slew of poor number one picks, he may actually have been close to the poorest number one pick taken in the last fifteen years.

It's funny how desperate Essendon supporters become trying to talk up Adam Cooney when their clubs doping regime leaves him, decrepit, poor skills and all as one of their premier midfielders.
Um, no. Jade was merely making the point that Cooney's best before his knees were shot was far better than Murphy's.

Um, no. Jade was merely making the point that Cooney's best before his knees were shot was far better than Murphy's.
1. Disagree it was far better. Cooneys best season or two may be slightly better than Murphys but only just
2. Who said we're talking about best seasons, thats certainly not what we're talking about in ranking these players over the course of their career. We're cearly talking about bodies of work. And because of Cooney's body, his body of work is very poor. As he hasnt been a premier player for half a decade now.

Lol, let's see how that works out for you. haha

Sure.... I think most people are morbidly curious to see if our sub standard AFL side can beat the Blues.

The 2 biggest basket cases slugging it out!!! This is an epic cripple fight....

Who you backing?

The team missing most of its talent? Or the team that had little to begin with?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back