2009 Big Footy Official Phantom Draft- The Real Deal (Discussion thread)

Remove this Banner Ad

Bit of a surpise with Carslie at 9. Thought Richmond would get him at 19, If he is this good to go pick 9 in this draft im really hoping Richmond can get him with 19 in the real deal.

I don't think he is the 9th best player availible at all. I think its the strategic picks from Freo and WCE that have forced up his value. Some great mids are on the slide... Looking forward to see if the Dees go tall or steal a mid.

The fact that I have another pick at #16 heavily influenced my decision to take him there as well - He's the best KP on the board, and I felt that there was only 2-3 KPs left that I'd take in the first round, whereas there's still another 4-5 midfielders that I'd take at #16, and I'm pretty sure that my first choice of them will still be on the board.

Pick 10 Essendon Gary Rohan Geelong Falcons 186cm 79kg Midfield/Utility

I am surprised that Rohan fell here and he is too good a player to pass up here. Rohan's strengths are his speed, his ability to break lines in a game to create scoring opportunities and his versatility. He is able to play midfield, he is dangerous as a leading forward and he is very damaging playing off half back. Rohan's kicking has been questioned and though he won the kicking test at draft camp I believe he does need to work on his kicking when he is running at full speed. Rohan suits Essendon's game plan perfectly and if he continues to develop he could be an A grade player- something Essendon has a severe lack of at the present time.

Other considerations: Andrew Moore- On pure ability I rate Moore third in this draft however ther is a distance between his best and worst and I hope to pick up a similar player to him later on.
Jake Melksham- the best midfielder left and a class act. Agile, talented and genuinely good player.

Strategy moving forward is simply best player available- many holes in our list.

Will be very interesting so see who the Swannies go for at Pick 14 after Talia and Carlisle going early with a KP each you would expect to be drafted by Carlton and Melbourne respectively... Swans might have to stick to another midfielder!

This is shaping up to be a decent draft. Some surprises early with Butcher, Talia and Carlisle. The selections of Butcher and Talia were very good ones in my opinion, and I understand the reasoning behind the Carlisle selection.

The first and second rounds, in regards to positioning, are going to be quite different to what is generally expected...

Rohan going to Essendon is going to piss off that bloke who is always bagging him. Well done, foj1. It will be fun to watch.

Pick 11 – Melbourne - Aaron Black (Peel/WA) – 192cm, 82kg – 29 Nov 90

Tough choice between 2 players (Jetta the other) - lent more towards needs in the end, as I’m quite confident this fella wouldn’t have got past RE at 17 at the latest.

Pick 12 - Carlton - Lewis Jetta (Swan Districts/WA) - 181.4cm, 68.8kg - 04/05/89

Went into the draft hoping one of Melksham or Jetta would be available, fortunately they both were. These were the only two i consider and it wasn't a very tough decision in the end because not only was Jetta best available for me but he fits into the Blues needs category also.

Lewis is a blistering wingman that will bring a tremendous excitement factor to the Blues midfield. He ran a 2.95 at the draft camp and really does make the use of this speed on the field. He is very bold and loves to break the lines to either create scoring opportunities or goals for himself. He is very smooth with clean hands below his knees. His kicking skills are a delight to watch, one of the best in the draft in my view. He manages to hit targets regularly over many distances. Capable of pulling a kick at the last minute, spear passes or weights them perfectly for a team mate. Also seems to be able to hit targets basically at full speed which is a hard skills to master, just ask Rohan. Vision is very good also which adds to his kicking skills, catches things from the corner of his eye and able to dispose the ball accordingly, very effective players. He averaged 16 touches and 4 marks a game playing for Swan Districts in the WAFL. He seems to have a very impressive knowledge of the game and gets himself in the right position especially considering he really doesn't have a great tank on him at the moment. Finished with a time of 11:20 for the 3km run at the DC which didn't sit too well with regards to everyone else. Athletically he is very sounds, fantastic leap on him, 69 vertical and 78 running jump on his right, both ranked very highly at the camp.

There is some issues with regards to him like every prospect because lets face it, there is really no perfect player. He can be a little timid at time, can back off on a contest that normally would result in strong contact. There could be a connection between that and his light frame because not many players would go throwing their bodies around with that frame. He'll never be a Cunnington/Martin but he is also pretty much purely an outside player so the contact shouldn't be a great deal of an issue. Going on from that, he seems to be purely an outside midfield at this stage anyway due to the above statement. Not a huge issue though because with his skill set is best utilized in space. He also doesn't have a great tank as i said earlier, this is something that can be worked on though during preseason so not a major issue. While he can apply defensive pressure, i still think he can work on it a little more, seems to be a little more one-way at this stage but again, this is probably intertwined with his somewhat lack of a tank.

There is plenty of room for improvement in my view, get him in the weights room and throw him into the Walker/Judd group during pre-season and he will be a force and a mighty effective player for the Blues through the midfield. His length of kicking should improve and his ability to spin/break tackles may also improve.

As i said earlier, i think not only was he best available but he fits our needs perfectly. Speed and footskills is something we could really use, especially through the midfield. We do lack those pacey midfielders that break the lines, put him on the wing and i think he'll prosper without much attention as Gibbs, Murphy and Judd will attract the majority of it. Quick, goal kicking midfielders with quality footskills are hard to find, very pleased to get him at this pick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Adelaide Pick #13 Jake Melksham

Did not think he would still be here and am stoked! Wanted Jetta but certainly not fussed with Melksham, he is all class and is going to be a fantastic footballer.

Melksham is what I describe as a well balanced midfielder who ticks most boxes when one is looking to recruit a 10+ year player. Is blessed with both good ability on the inside when winning the ball in tight and then quickly turning it to attacking thrusts on the outside, mainly attained by his excellent evasive skills, he is definitely one of the better weavers and baulkers in the draft and gets around opponents with ease, often at an accelerating pace. Speaking of pace, he has plenty, and although he is not lightning fast, he is still definitely much quicker than your average midfielder. All the above combined with his good decision making mould a player who would be a fine asset to the crows who still IMO need a lot more PACE in the guts to challenge speedy sides such as Geelong, St.Kilda and the dogs. I really think he has a massive upside, with his skinny frame looking like it can be bulked up quite a bit. I do not think it will affect his pace, but merely give him more one on one strength to mix it with the bigger bodies at AFL level. Is not quite what you would call 'ready-made' but certainly may play up to 5 games next year and then after that play close to 22 games.

His kicking can be a little dicey at times, often due to the fact he tries to do things too quickly sometimes and shanks it with a fairly ungamely kicking action. But I think this flaw is minor and definitely fixable. Also one other concern is his defensive pressure, he sometimes can be a little unaccountable for his direct opponent but when he does tackle, he does have a fairly decent technique so under Neil Craig, I think he would turn into a good tackler. Craig turned Doughty from a butter soft outside wingman to a hard nut defensive/attacking half back so I wouldn't worry here.

All in all a steal at #13, currently have him at around #7 on my overall list (subject to further change).

Pick 10 Essendon Gary Rohan Geelong Falcons 186cm 79kg Midfield/Utility

I am surprised that Rohan fell here and he is too good a player to pass up here. Rohan's strengths are his speed, his ability to break lines in a game to create scoring opportunities and his versatility. He is able to play midfield, he is dangerous as a leading forward and he is very damaging playing off half back. Rohan's kicking has been questioned and though he won the kicking test at draft camp I believe he does need to work on his kicking when he is running at full speed. Rohan suits Essendon's game plan perfectly and if he continues to develop he could be an A grade player- something Essendon has a severe lack of at the present time.

Other considerations: Andrew Moore- On pure ability I rate Moore third in this draft however ther is a distance between his best and worst and I hope to pick up a similar player to him later on.
Jake Melksham- the best midfielder left and a class act. Agile, talented and genuinely good player.

Strategy moving forward is simply best player available- many holes in our list.
Nice pick mate. He's a gun and like you mentioned, definitely suits Essendon's game plan. :thumbsu:

Pick 11 – Melbourne - Aaron Black (Peel/WA) – 192cm, 82kg – 29 Nov 90

Tough choice between 2 players (Jetta the other) - lent more towards needs in the end, as I’m quite confident this fella wouldn’t have got past RE at 17 at the latest.

Your right there TBU I would of jumped on him there.

If I was Swannies I would of very very strongly considered him at 7.

I don't know if it's the right place (if it isn't sorry and ah, delete it I guess) but I have two questions:

1. It seems that Vardy and Griffiths are seen as the best ruck prospects. If all of Butcher, Talia, Carlisle, Black and Panos were gone, which seem to be the best KPP prospects, how do these two fair as possible key forward prospects a la say a Brad Ottens who would often play both forward and ruck duties?

2. It seems that there are a number of tiers for midfielders, first group: Scully, Trengove, Martin, Moratibo and Cunnington are the top five, second group: Rohan and Lucas float between Sydney's pick areas, third group: Tapscott, Stevens and Melksham seem to float between the tens to teens, while the forth group: players like Bastinax, Gysberts, Christensen and others float 16+. Are there really clear tiers of quality difference (tough question I admit)? My main query is say the level of difference between Melksham and Bastinac, who seem to inhibit two tiers. Basically, is there a sharp drop off in midfielder quality.

Talia to the Eagles makes no sense unless you are convinced he can make the move forward. Mitch Brown is our CHB and he has done an excellent job. We also have Eric Mackenzie and have just re-signed Will Schofield. Wilkes and Jordan Jones also wait in the wings. We are absolutely stacked with young KP defenders. If we go tall we will take a forward IMO, maybe Black or Butcher if he is available.

Talia to the Eagles makes no sense unless you are convinced he can make the move forward. Mitch Brown is our CHB and he has done an excellent job. We also have Eric Mackenzie and have just re-signed Will Schofield. Wilkes and Jordan Jones also wait in the wings. We are absolutely stacked with young KP defenders. If we go tall we will take a forward IMO, maybe Black or Butcher if he is available.

Talia can play as a KPF. He's probably more suited to defense but he definetly has the ability to be a very good forward. He probably has the scope to move into the midfield at some point later in his career.

Prefer Brown as a forward personally, though I'm pretty sure the club sees it differently.

Schofield isn't going to be a key defender, same with Jones. They're both moe suited to taking the third tall.

Wilkes isn't a long-term option. He's a capable backup at best.

Glassy is 28. Talia would be a good replacement for him in a couple of years.

I wouldn't have picked Talia myself but there is some logic to it.

Oh, while I think about it - if we do end up drafting Talia his nickname has to be Jenny. Just has to be.

I think, without knowing a great deal about the Eagles list it is a smart move by swannies. Personally i don't rate Talia as a top 7 pick though due to the Eagles having picks 22 and 23, there is a very good chance two nice midfielders will be available. Talls are really at a premium this year and Talia is definitely one of the better ones. He's seemingly looked at the draft at a whole and tried to benefit from that. (just my observation, could be totally wrong). Personally I'd rather take the best available (within reason) but there are more than one way to skin a cat...

Prefer Brown as a forward personally, though I'm pretty sure the club sees it differently.

Schofield isn't going to be a key defender, same with Jones. They're both moe suited to taking the third tall.

Wilkes isn't a long-term option. He's a capable backup at best.

Glassy is 28. Talia would be a good replacement for him in a couple of years.

I wouldn't have picked Talia myself but there is some logic to it.

Oh, while I think about it - if we do end up drafting Talia his nickname has to be Jenny. Just has to be.

Yep Brown will stay in defense because of the knee injury. So even when Glass retires we still have Mackenzie FB and Brown CHB with Jones and Schofield to fight it out for the third tall position. Talia is just gravy at that point when we are crying out for another gun midfielder, a forward crumber and a FF.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back