2009 Draftees First Year in Review

Remove this Banner Ad

swans4eva

Premiership Player
Oct 1, 2008
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Thought I'd start a thread where we can review our 5 first year draftees and review their progress in the first year.

Gary Rohan: Gary looks exciting. He has already shown off his pace and flare when he gets the ball. At times hasn't got enough of the ball and probably isn't in the Swans best 22 but for an 18 year old, his first year has been good progress. 8/10

Lewis Jetta: Most well-known because of his unbelievable behind streak but if you look further than that, he has had a very solid first year. He provides run and carry which he has used to his ability as his confidence has grown throughout the year and also has very elite foot skills. Needs to find more ball though, however this will come with experience. A good option in my opinion to draft a mature-aged recruit who can have an immediate impact. 8.5/10

Sam Reid: To me, he has had the best debut season out of all the draftees. The fact that he debuted last night when he is a key-position player and the youngest on the Swans list shows a lot to me. Has been consistently in the best for the Swans reserves and will be a revelation for us in future years down back or possibly up forward. 9/10

Byron Sumner: We've heard the least about Byron out of all the draftees. He seems to have been strolling along playing consistenly well but hasn't produced anything special to date. 6.5/10

Trent Dennis-Lane: The Pick #55 mature-aged recruit has filled a role that needed to be filled well. He is in the current best 22 and does the job week in week out consistently contributing 2-4 goals. Started off in the game against Carlton very nervous but he has gradually gained confidence. Will look forward to see him improve in future years and become more dangerous. 8.5/10

At this stage we have 4 keepers out of 5, so that's a very successful draft at this early stage.

Hard for me to rate them because I have only seen one reserves game this season. TDL looks being the most important for finals so maybe that shows how far he has come.

remember how everyone was saying that this was a weak draft? we certainly proved them wrong with those picks. outstanding!

just thinking back, it was reported during trade week that roos offered our first 2 picks to richmond for pick 3. which works out as rohan + jetta for dustin martin.

would anyone make that trade today? no disrespect for martin but id keep our two fo sho.

just thinking back, it was reported during trade week that roos offered our first 2 picks to richmond for pick 3. which works out as rohan + jetta for dustin martin.

would anyone make that trade today? no disrespect for martin but id keep our two fo sho.

Still line ball on that one.

Both Rohan and Jetta are going to be great exicting players, but you can build a premiership winning side around someone like Dustin Martin.

Imagine a midfield of Martin, Jack, Hannaberry, Bird and Tom Mitchell going around in a couple of years.

DST

You posted this on the Dreamteam board a while back swans4eva.;)

Anyway we have done very well and have 4 out 5 keepers and we are yet to find out what Sumner is made of though.

It all depends on how Rohan will turn out... he has a lot of potential and I'd say he'd at worst be a best 22 good contributor. Martin will win a brownlow in my opinion. He would have the rising star wrapped up if he was eligible... the kid is a gun. Martin is a very good footballer, but does he bring crowds to watch the footy? Not really. Does Lewis Jetta? Most definitely. Jetta is a real excitement machine with his pace which gets bums on seats. From what I have seen of Rohan both this year and in U18's, he is similar in his flare and pace.

God damn... Whenever I think about Dustin Martin, I think about what could have been. I remember reading an article that said he was playing in the Sydney comp a couple of years back, and one of our recruiters spotted him. They thought they'd found themselves a bargain pick up that nobody knew about. Then they realised he was a month or two too young, so they figured they'd sign him up to a NSW scholarship quick smart. Then they realised he hadn't been living in NSW for long enough for that.

Sure enough, next season he moves back to Victoria, plays for Vic country, and all the recruiters notice him, he goes at pick 3. Christ, imagine if we'd been able to nab Martin under the NSW scholarship scheme!

Still line ball on that one.

Both Rohan and Jetta are going to be great exicting players, but you can build a premiership winning side around someone like Dustin Martin.

Imagine a midfield of Martin, Jack, Hannaberry, Bird and Tom Mitchell going around in a couple of years.

DST

Agreed. I'd still swap Jetta and Rohan for Martin.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nah - I'm happy with our two. Would have been more than happy to get Dustin but so be it. I wouldn't change anything now. Tell you one thing, Dustin needs to curb the amount of frees he gives away. Waaaay too many.

Dustin Martin will be an A grade midfielder, i have no doubt. He will be one of the 5-10 best midfielders in the comp but i wouldn't swap him for the Jetta/Rohan package. As AG said, Rohan could be absolutely anything with his physical attributes, speed, courage, tackling ability and what i rate as underrated by others about him, his kicking skills (they seem very polished for someone who seems to be rated more for his freakish athleticism and pace). He could explode and be one of the better players in this comp and Jetta has the ability to be a top shelf wingman with his speed, direct play and kicking.

Very happy with the 2 we have Martin will be very good but is similar to other midfielders we have and Jetta and Rohan are exactly what we need.

Pace unpredictability and they do the impossible, the type of players fans go to games to watch putting us in a better position with the 2 new teams entering the market.

Agreed. I'd still swap Jetta and Rohan for Martin.

Utter insanity. Rohan's as tough as Martin, and from what little I've seen has similar attributes, as well as being taller and maybe faster.

Jetta's an excitement machine.

Martin will be heavily tagged from here on; will be interesting to see if he has the temperament to cope, especially if the team continues to struggle.

No way in the world would I give up either one of our pair for Martin.

I really like TDL.He has to work on his defensive pressure but he looks the goods to me.At the moment our younger blokes are getting little respect from the opposition although this may change on Sunday.I'm not sold on Jetta but I think Rohan has a future.Sam Reid will be the most valuable player in the long run as young KPP are hard to come by.I imagine he'll be spending alot of the summer in the gym.
Kennnedy and McGlynn have also been great pick ups whilst Bradshaw has been disappointing due to injuries.
The future is looking good!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright, let's give this one a crack

Pick #6 - Gary Rohan

Liked what I've seen from this kid, but he does tend to disappear/ get shut out from the game. Probably another year or two away from being a staple of the 22. Can find the sticks well and take contested grabs against guys who have been playing a while. Had an ankle injury but I still think his development is well on track, probably even above average considering he hasn't even played half the season in the seniors. 6/10

Pick #14 - Lewis Jetta

Is getting better and more confident fast. That's only been in the last month or so, however. His first couple weeks were amazingly brilliant with how he played (My dad remarked on how sublime his disposal was during the crows game) but he seemed to drop off after that. Is having ups and downs but that's to be expected from a first year player. I'd say he's not extremely polished for a mature aged recruit like a Michael Barlow, but he in the last month he is showing why he was so coveted. If he continues on his current confidence and growth within the last month, I'd say we're going to have a real weapon. 7/10

Pick #38 - Sam Reid

Only had the one game to evaluate him, so I'm not going overboard and calling him the second coming of Tony Lockett or anything like that. That being said he looks the goods. Well ahead of development schedule (debuting at 18) and looks extremely confident playing with the big boys. Well ahead of development, being mentored by Craig Bolton. Like Rohan, I'd give him a year or two to be a full time regular in the 22. Possibly as a tall utility (while Gaz is the 'short' utility). 8/10

Pick #54 - Byron Sumner

No games at all to evaluate him on. That's okay, because to be perfectly honest I wasn't expecting him to crack the 22 at all yet anyway. Byron is a little small so being patient with him makes perfect sense. I'd trial him for a few games next year and see how we go with Jets on one wing and Uncle Byron on the other. From ressies reports; disposal, running and tackling are all good. At the moment I'd give him a 6.5/10. Expect him to crack the 22, even if only for a 2 game stint, next season.

Pick #55 Trent Dennis-Lane

To say we are impressed is to put it mildly. Has easily cracked our 22 as a lead-up forward pocket, and its paying off in spades. Looked expectantly nervous the first couple of games, but has really settled in and found his niche. Needs better pressure on opposing teams, but his goal kicking is looking perfect. For a mid-4th rounder, that's excellent news. At the moment, I'd say a conservative 8/10. Defensive pressure needs to be worked on, but he's kicking some good goals regardless

aaah swans4eva u make a very strong argument. i agree with all these judgements. my only slight worry is sumner but 4/5 success stories for one draft campaign...sorta ****in NARLED the draft then ay? i look forward to more posts from u of the utmost finest quality.

Alright, let's give this one a crack

Pick #6 - Gary Rohan

Liked what I've seen from this kid, but he does tend to disappear/ get shut out from the game. Probably another year or two away from being a staple of the 22. Can find the sticks well and take contested grabs against guys who have been playing a while. Had an ankle injury but I still think his development is well on track, probably even above average considering he hasn't even played half the season in the seniors. 6/10

Pick #14 - Lewis Jetta

Is getting better and more confident fast. That's only been in the last month or so, however. His first couple weeks were amazingly brilliant with how he played (My dad remarked on how sublime his disposal was during the crows game) but he seemed to drop off after that. Is having ups and downs but that's to be expected from a first year player. I'd say he's not extremely polished for a mature aged recruit like a Michael Barlow, but he in the last month he is showing why he was so coveted. If he continues on his current confidence and growth within the last month, I'd say we're going to have a real weapon. 7/10

Pick #38 - Sam Reid

Only had the one game to evaluate him, so I'm not going overboard and calling him the second coming of Tony Lockett or anything like that. That being said he looks the goods. Well ahead of development schedule (debuting at 18) and looks extremely confident playing with the big boys. Well ahead of development, being mentored by Craig Bolton. Like Rohan, I'd give him a year or two to be a full time regular in the 22. Possibly as a tall utility (while Gaz is the 'short' utility). 8/10

Pick #54 - Byron Sumner

No games at all to evaluate him on. That's okay, because to be perfectly honest I wasn't expecting him to crack the 22 at all yet anyway. Byron is a little small so being patient with him makes perfect sense. I'd trial him for a few games next year and see how we go with Jets on one wing and Uncle Byron on the other. From ressies reports; disposal, running and tackling are all good. At the moment I'd give him a 6.5/10. Expect him to crack the 22, even if only for a 2 game stint, next season.

Pick #55 Trent Dennis-Lane

To say we are impressed is to put it mildly. Has easily cracked our 22 as a lead-up forward pocket, and its paying off in spades. Looked expectantly nervous the first couple of games, but has really settled in and found his niche. Needs better pressure on opposing teams, but his goal kicking is looking perfect. For a mid-4th rounder, that's excellent news. At the moment, I'd say a conservative 8/10. Defensive pressure needs to be worked on, but he's kicking some good goals regardless

How can Reid outscore Rohan and Jetta after playing just the one game, I know he is ahead of schedule but seriously.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back