2012 Draft Discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

Especially with Free agency now in play I think there will be a bit more of a trend of drafting best available over purely needs given it is now a bit easier to get in players to fill a need than maybe it once was.

For key forward prospects in 3 years time we really only have 4/5 even now.

Close
Paperone
Michael
Lisle
Martin (hard to tell whether he will play permanently forward)

all the rest are more mid size players who will fill that 3rd tall/utility role. Had we not picked up Paparone and Close we would have only had 2-3 which is certainly not enough. Had we had a dead set certainty come in then it may have been different and we could have only picked one tall forward but all the above are very unknown still. Unfortunately the last few years have been a bit poor for tall forwards. There's one next year in Boyd but he wont be around when it comes our time to pick.

Compare that to our half back position in 3 years we will have

Docherty
Harwood
Adcock
Golby
Yeo (will probably end up in the middle on a wing)
Hanley (same as Yeo)

Then I think we are ok for that position for the future.

Key defenders is still a bit of a concern though with only McKeever and Clarke the long term prospects, although admittedly our current backs have a few more years left in them then Brown does up forward.

Overall I would have like another key defender in there but it is possible we see one of the key forwards as having the ability to go back in the future.

I reckon there is a tendency for people to look at our current 22 and say "what do we need right now" and expect us to draft accordingly. But that is flawed. Trade period is for addressing urgent needs. Drafting is for what you need in 3 to 7 years time.
Which makes me think that the club has the idea of turning at least one of our recent additions into a backman and that Martin isn't going to spend too much time forward of centre nor in the starting 22 for the next few years.

I was emailing a Carlton supporter yesterday and had to come up with a comparison that he might know (I thought Lisle first off but he probably hadn't seen much of him). The guy I came up with was Henderson.

FWIW I know a lot of you are liking the aggression of Close. Personally I do not see that in fact I see him as definately needing to add a physical aspect to his game much as Lisle does. He is not a pack crashing KPF like we need. He might develop into that but at the moment that is not his style.

I was not that enthused with the Close pick. Didn't hate it but just a little disappointed we didn't end up with other guys I rated higher. A lot of the guys I was hoping for went just before him so I realise we couldn't have taken them but didn't stop me being a little put out. I do like a lot of the tools that Close has (good height, endurance and kicking) and think there is potential there and he does seem to fit in with our recruiting focus.

I think most of us are getting our "aggressive" impressions from the highlights films which do feature some pretty good attacks on the ball and other players. I'm guessing you've watched more of him on tape or live - are the highlights a pretty unrepresentative sample?

I am a little concerned about Close's agility. Seems to have the turning circle of a freighter. Then again, that sounds familiar...

Fair to say that any key forward taken in the thirties has some deficiencies.

Considering we took Retzlaff at 84, It would seem they are alot more confident with Close performing the role wth less of those deficiencies...Im hopefully he can turn into a good prospect despite any areas he might be lacking in.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Which makes me think that the club has the idea of turning at least one of our recent additions into a backman and that Martin isn't going to spend too much time forward of centre nor in the starting 22 for the next few years.
In a recent interview on SEN and on then on the Lions site Stef mentioned that Vossy had told him to prepare for the ruck/forward role, and also seemed to give the impression that he would be in our best 22 for the majority of the time. Could just be bluster, though. I agree that one of thise forwards could end up swinging back though. Maybe Lisle?

I think most of us are getting our "aggressive" impressions from the highlights films which do feature some pretty good attacks on the ball and other players. I'm guessing you've watched more of him on tape or live - are the highlights a pretty unrepresentative sample?

I would say like Lisle he is capable of taking a contested mark I just think he is not the kind of guy who will crash through players to do it. There are exceptions but really he does not attack the ball as much as I would want.

There's something about Michael Close that is eerily similar to someone else, but I can't work who it is.

Grant Hackett? That's who he reminds me of.

I Have full faith in Kerr and co and look forward to seeing how all our new draftees develop in the next few years. Mayes will be a star.

Grant Hackett? That's who he reminds me of.

I Have full faith in Kerr and co and look forward to seeing how all our new draftees develop in the next few years. Mayes will be a star.
Fair call!

CLOSE-Michael-2012.jpg
Hackett_09051980_BANNER.jpg

Everyone read your post mate. No need for the defensive aggro. I think it's pretty reasonable to ask if you want to protest club decisions that you offer reasoned alternatives.

Which I did.

Not much point offering up an alternative that wasn't available (that by definition was not an alternaive).

And you didn't notice my 'acknowledgment' in that regard.

Hrovat was clearly not the next best available and not worth pick 8.

In your opinion, not mine. I reasoned what type of player I thought was more beneficial, yet you spout 'I think it's pretty reasonable to ask if you want to protest club decisions that you offer reasoned alternatives'. I'm even more confused now considering I provided a reasoned alternative. Oh wait, my reasoned alternative wasn't to your liking, so therefore I didn't offer one.

Ah, that old chestnut. I think anyone considering that situation rationally can see that Fev was a gamble, but considering where the team was at, it was a worthwhile one. The results of the first 4 rounds that had us on top of the ladder suggests the worth of the gamble. That the gamble failed in retrospect does not discount the reasoning behind it. Lose some of the anger mate, not just at other posters but more importantly at the club. We're actually on the same team.;)

Why that old chestnut? Someone makes a comment that one person is a complete and utter failure on many levels (Wallace) which I diagree with entirely, although I acknowledge, like Wallace does, that he did bugger up in the past, like I have, yet I submit a valid failure on Voss's part, and you defend it as if he should be immune as an 'old chestnut'. I'm sure Voss recognises he stuffed up that one, and I think he may even have gone on the recored in that regard. But to even suggest that the Fevola gamble failed in retrospect is absurd. There were enough people around here who knew it would fail before it even started.

In your opinion, not mine. I reasoned what type of player I thought was more beneficial, yet you spout 'I think it's pretty reasonable to ask if you want to protest club decisions that you offer reasoned alternatives'. I'm even more confused now considering I provided a reasoned alternative. Oh wait, my reasoned alternative wasn't to your liking, so therefore I didn't offer one.

Why that old chestnut? Someone makes a comment that one person is a complete and utter failure on many levels (Wallace) which I diagree with entirely, although I acknowledge, like Wallace does, that he did bugger up in the past, like I have, yet I submit a valid failure on Voss's part, and you defend it as if he should be immune as an 'old chestnut'. I'm sure Voss recognises he stuffed up that one, and I think he may even have gone on the recored in that regard. But to even suggest that the Fevola gamble failed in retrospect is absurd. There were enough people around here who knew it would fail before it even started.
OK. I think we have differing ideas on what "reasoned" means. In regard to Hrovat you said "To be honest, I would have rathered a guy like Hrovat over Mayes.," That's it. That's all. Where is the reason in that? All you have said there is 'I would have prefered player B over player A.' Why? How is he a more appropriate choice over the ones made? That's not a reasoned anything.

On the point of Voss' "failure" in recruiting Fev, again we will have to agree to disagree. I don't see it as Voss' failure at all. Clearly it was Fevola's failure. Voss didn't stuff things up. He may like to take some blame in the club not offering more support or keeping Fev's leash shorter, but I don't hold Voss responsible for that. The turkey from Carlton must accept full responsibility for his own failure.
And no-one here knew it would fail. Monday's experts always knew everything. Plenty were against it and plenty more would have been nervous about it but no-one knew. It was a gamble and things could easily have gone differently. And anyway, why wouldn't I defend Voss? He has more than earned my total respect, gratitude and loyalty.:thumbsu:
Look, the bottom line is IMO (and apparently that of others) you have come across a bit strong and reactionary, whilst bagging our club (not just on this topic or in this thread) and when questioned, come back full of aggro and insults. Just chill a bit and maybe try to explain your thoughts a bit further is all that is being asked.:)

I never knew lions supporters to be such nit pickers.

Can we talk football instead of pulling apart every word and phrase the other people post

Remove this Banner Ad

Back