Opinion 2013 Fixture

Remove this Banner Ad

Dec 19, 2010
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
The fixture will be announced in approximately two weeks. What has Richmond requested from next year's draw? Will we get the horrible run like last year in the beginning? Will the AFL give us any expansion teams twice?

For me,

We'll play Collingwood, Carlton, Essendon, Port Adelaide and Melbourne twice.

The first three, we'll play in the opening rounds, and in those opening 6-8 games, we'll get a GCS or GWS, unlike last year.

What do you all expect?

Collingwood will get their usual armchair ride, anything else I wouldn't have a clue...but the new clubs will be somehow pampered aswell. I just hope we get a heap of saturday arvo games at home (the MCG, not that other joint near the water), other than than that I don't waste too much energy thinking about the draw. No point coz the draw is never fair anyway, and it never will be under Demetriou's oppressive regime.

I'd like to see the AFL lean towards getting teams to twice play those around them on the ladder at the end of the previous season. Which should mean that we should play Freo, North, StKilda, Carlton & Essendon twice next year.
Given you play 5 teams twice, if they split the ladder into 3 groups of 6 then that leaves 5 teams for you to play twice the next season.

That being said, I'd like us to play Hawks & Swans twice next year, given our good results against them last year and being tested against the two best sides from 2012. Also while I don't want an armchair ride, we do need the ledger balanced up a bit for us to be able to play one or both of GWS & GCS twice. (cue a predictable joke about the GCS losses)

I'd like to see the AFL lean towards getting teams to twice play those around them on the ladder at the end of the previous season. Which should mean that we should play Freo, North, StKilda, Carlton & Essendon twice next year.
Given you play 5 teams twice, if they split the ladder into 3 groups of 6 then that leaves 5 teams for you to play twice the next season.

Oh god no. No more handicapping.

Well we always have Carlton twice dont we? And we have since requested to get Collingwood twice. We normally play Essendon twice but that could be a coincidence rather than any special deal. That leaves 2 other teams to play again. Probably lower teams to balance the fact that atm Carlton/Pies and maybe Essendon are top 8 sides but who knows. Probably doesnt really matter too much.

Yeah GWS twice, and Gold Coast once.

Won't play two games against them in QLD, can't play them here.

Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood, GWS and Melbourne twice.

I see a minimum 7 wins there :thumbsu:

Yeah GWS twice, and Gold Coast once.

Won't play two games against them in QLD, can't play them here.

Carlton, Essendon, Collingwood, GWS and Melbourne twice.

I'd say we're locks for the first 4 on your list. Melbourne's the only one up in the air for mine.

EXTREMELY happy the Bombers play the Crows in the first game on the Friday and we wait until the following Thursday to play the Tankers:thumbsu:

It will take the traditional heat of being first up away from us and we can settle and concentrate on the game. Best news i have heard in weeks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

EXTREMELY happy the Bombers play the Crows in the first game on the Friday and we wait until the following Thursday to play the Tankers:thumbsu:

It will take the traditional heat of being first up away from us and we can settle and concentrate on the game. Best news i have heard in weeks.

True. Tipping 80k+ vs the Blues on Easter Thursday.. Friday is a public holiday and the 2 games before us will just make Tigers/Blues fans hungrier to get to the G on Thursday night. Will be a massive crowd.

Will it be their home game?

Im extremely unhappy. Is this because the AFL cant get the MCG or have we lost the right to the first game of the year from now on? I want the whole AFL to know that we have arrived when we smash the blues in the first game! It is better for us and the club if we have the rest of the comps eyes on us and all the pressure in the world and we go whack and have a win. Im shattered that people will barely talk about us, other than Tiges/Blues fans.

We will get at least 6 of the top 8 from this year inside the first 10 rounds, Sydney in Sydney and Geelong in Geelong are shoe in's. Us, Freo and the Bombers will be shafted yet again whilst Vlad looks after the Eagles and Sydney again:thumbsdown: WC fans will be in a melt down they have to play Freo round one, but I bet the following weeks will be GC, GWS and Bulldogs.

Unfortunately yes. It rotates every year and since 2012 opener was our home game, 2013 will be theirs.

Good.. Will be a bigger crowd because we go home or away and Blues fans only go to home games :D

We'll still outnumber them as usual.

Im extremely unhappy. Is this because the AFL cant get the MCG or have we lost the right to the first game of the year from now on? I want the whole AFL to know that we have arrived when we smash the blues in the first game! It is better for us and the club if we have the rest of the comps eyes on us and all the pressure in the world and we go whack and have a win. Im shattered that people will barely talk about us, other than Tiges/Blues fans.

We didnt have the opener last year so its not new, and the Sheild Final will be played 22-25 March so the G has to be vacant just in case we host it.

For mine the 4 points is the only focus this time around, not dick measuring or massive crowds or getting the entire focus on us, and i reckon this will play into our hands more than Malthouses rabble. They have been a massive round 1 hoodoo and its time that cycle is broken.

We didnt have the opener last year so its not new, and the Sheild Final will be played 22-25 March so the G has to be vacant just in case we host it.

For mine the 4 points is the only focus this time around, not dick measuring or massive crowds or getting the entire focus on us, and i reckon this will play into our hands more than Malthouses rabble. They have been a massive round 1 hoodoo and its time that cycle is broken.

Well it is new, because we were told last year that this was a special occasion to welcome GWS into the comp.. and as most people said, that was just a warm up as it was 1 stand alone game the week prior that was a non contest.

You think it is dick measuring, some sort of ego thing that I want to us to play in the first game? It is that footy is a mental game, and considering we are getting better and closer every round 1, it would be nice to announce our arrival on a big stage, not just to send msg to the other clubs, but for our players sake. I think they would gain huge confidence from it and will feel they can do anything....which is what we want! "If" we win this years round 1 it is great, but winning in a game with a lot less focus and pressure will not have the profound effect winning the season opener would have. If I could tell the future and could predict the outcome, id take a win with zero focus before any sort of loss...but if we are to take the next step it would be great to win the huge pressure games. Pressure games (traditionally our downfall).

My expectation of the draw is we will be ar.se fu.kced by the AFL once again, while teams like Freo, North, Bris Vegas and all the other ususal suspects get a soft draw. Nothing ever changes with the big boys, so i expect the kids to do the hard yards again.

I dont care if we get a soft draw, in fact I think its about time we do get a soft draw, for years now we have done the right thing by the AFL, now its time the AFL did the right thing for us.

Teams we should play twice should be:

GWS
Port Adelaide
Western Bulldogs

Plus the two standard teams:

Carlton
Colingwood

One trip to Perth & Adelaide

Remove this Banner Ad

Back