2013 MLB Spring Training

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am surprised with the number of games where the scores are level and the teams are not even prepared to play one extra inning, I guess this shows that the managers are being cautious with the fact that Spring Training going an extra week, they are being strict with who they want to pitch and how many pitches they want them to go for.

At this point in the spring, the lineups are pretty well set before the game starts- players know how long they are going to play, and pitchers know when they will be used. especially for visiting teams, you won't see huge squads, because you would then have players not able to get the work in that they need to get ready. They may have an extra pitcher or two, in case of injury or a pitcher not being able to finish an inning (like Pap the other day against the Tigers).

The other players will be on other fields, taking BP and doing drills or running. That's why you'll also see guys running in the outfield during spring training games.

It is a much more relaxed period for the players- and to eb honest, none of them want to play extra innings at this point. Get their work in, get back to their hotel/condo and relax- maybe a late afternoon round on the golf course.

And yes, the managers will be extra cautious with pitchers at this time of year- they are getting into game shape, and 2-3 innings will be themax for anyone, even the starters.

I know there are a lot of ties in Spring, but I have found a lot of games will play one extra innings at least, this year most ties have just closed shop at the bottom of the 9th:)

Yep- it pretty much comes down to what the managers think about things. Nothing written in stone, but you won't see long games in the spring. The real key is to get all the players into a programme of work- game practice and doing stuff on the practice fields.

I like Zack Greinke and finally a professional sportsman says that money was the No 1 reason for his move to the Dodgers. I gotta admit $147m is very tempting.

“I could play for the worst team if they paid the most,” Greinke said in an interview with CBSSports.com, via ESPN.com. “If the last-place team offers $200 million and the first-place team offers $10, I’m going to go for the $200 million no matter what team it was. It’s obviously the No. 1 thing. I could play for the worst team if they paid the most. . . . If the last-place team offers $200 million and the first-place team offers $10, I’m going to go for the $200 million no matter what team it was.”

“The worst comment in the world has got to be when a guy who’s getting $100 million says he wants to ‘take care of my family,’” Greinke said. “Of course, nobody needs $100 million — or even half that — to keep their family going.”

Angels have renewed Mike Trout's contract for this year. He will make just over half a million.

http://sports.yahoo.com/news/trouts-contract-renewed-angels-510-205257062--mlb.html

I can't really blame the Angels, despite the money they are splashing out on other big names. This is really the only time in Trout's career when management can set the salary. Once arbitration kicks in, he'll be making over 10m a year.

Hope the young man stays healthy, of course.

I am sure with the cash the angels have, it wont be a concern moving forward, and I am sure they are putting together a major offer for him in 2014 and beyond. Can't afford to risk him running out the door as soon as he hits free agency with absolutely no negotiation from the Angels.

More a case of it being a bad advertisement for the manager and his group.

I would hope the Angels are trying to get Trout on a long term deal- a 5 or 6 year deal signed now might actually be better for him than going through arbitration each year- he would have that sense of stability.

Of course, his agent might eb resistant to anything more than two or three years, looking for a bigger payoff when arbitration kicks in, and then, of course, eventual free agency.

Not sure who Trout's agent is, though. If it is Bor-ass, you can bet he'll keep the contract short.

One of my favorites from the Cape, Joey Terdoslavich, goes deep in the ninth to make it 2-1 for the Tigers. I had the chance to chat with Joey's Dad when he was playing for Chatham back in 2009.

Here are his minor league stats- Braves are jerking him around a bit position wise- he's played first, third, and the outfield. I saw him as an outfielder on the Cape.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=terdos001jos

Final was 2-1 Tigers
what are you doing in Athens, great part of GA , spent a couple of weeks in GA 2 years back , love the states

what are you doing in Athens, great part of GA , spent a couple of weeks in GA 2 years back , love the states

Moved here a year and a half ago from the cape- too expensive up there- much cheaper cost of living. I've moved into the writing field now (used to teach), and have a quiet apartment where I can do my thing. Can get busses downtown (I don't drive) and get to the UGA campus easily. It is a very nice town- I actually lived and worked in Rome, GA (other side of Atlanta, heading up 75 towards Chattanooga) back in the mid 80s- my first job. So I knew the culture of georgia before coming down here in 2011.

Phillies and Nats got into it yesterday- looks like this is heating up to be a good rivalry, which will definitely help baseball in Washington. Strassberg hit Utley with a pitch (on the foot, not sure you would say he was deliberately throwing at him if you hit the foot).

Doc returned the favor next inning, throwing a ball behind the back of Moore, one of their top prospects. Funny thing was, Sarge Matthews was commenting on the game on Philly TV and had just praised Doc for his excellent control, and then said that pitch got away. His partner asked him if it might not have been retaliation for Utley, and it suddenly dawned on sarge, who said "I didn't know they did that in spring training."

After the game, Doc denied throwing at Moor, but also said it wouldn't have been a bad thing if it hit him. Apparently, earlier in spring training, he and Utley had talked and Chase told Doc he needed to drill a couple more guys to protect the Philly hitters.

Interesting.....

(Log in to remove this ad.)

For the Indians today, great start by Jimenez, to have any hope of challenging the Tigers we need big years from him and Masterson.

Phillies and Nats got into it yesterday- looks like this is heating up to be a good rivalry, which will definitely help baseball in Washington. Strassberg hit Utley with a pitch (on the foot, not sure you would say he was deliberately throwing at him if you hit the foot).

Doc returned the favor next inning, throwing a ball behind the back of Moore, one of their top prospects. Funny thing was, Sarge Matthews was commenting on the game on Philly TV and had just praised Doc for his excellent control, and then said that pitch got away. His partner asked him if it might not have been retaliation for Utley, and it suddenly dawned on sarge, who said "I didn't know they did that in spring training."

After the game, Doc denied throwing at Moor, but also said it wouldn't have been a bad thing if it hit him. Apparently, earlier in spring training, he and Utley had talked and Chase told Doc he needed to drill a couple more guys to protect the Philly hitters.

Interesting.....

Was this all from Hamels drilling Harper last season? Drilling or attempting to drill a rookie is poor form.

There's a bit of history with the teams throwing at one another- Chase has been hit repeatedly by the Nats pitchers- Lannan (npow with the Phils) hit quite a few with the Nats, and the Phils did reciprocate, the most egregious example being hamels last year.

Sounds like Strassburg let one slip, but Doc didn't see it that way. stay tuned

Quiet around here, come on let's get excited season's nearly here!!..........ok

Just reading on the Dodgers. Over $200m payroll this season, 10 players on $10m+ , but get this, they have already committed $120m in payroll to 2017, $80m in 2018. Sheesh!

Hopefully risky signings like Ramirez (15m a year) and Crawford ($20m a year until 2018) will fire up.

i cant agree with you mate haha. Want to Dodgers to fail

Understand completely. Actually what I meant by "hopefully" was for their sake, with secret hope that it all falls to shit ;). Just something about high payroll clubs. Should be a ripper div race with Giants though.

Cubs seem to be having a reasonable spring, despite injury concerns to Garza, Baker and Stewart. Should be an improvement on last year

Fair to say it hasn't been the best Spring Training for the Dodgers.

Hanley Ramirez played 7 games for the Dominican Republic at the WBC at third base/DH... he was pegged to be the Dodgers' opening day shortstop, but he injured his thumb in the WBC final and could now miss anywhere between 2-10 weeks. He's a pretty enigmatic player at the best of times, but his absence will mean extended playing time for guys like Luis Cruz (who will likely move to SS despite having limited experience there), Nick Punto, Dee Gordon and Skip Schumaker. Not the best scenario.

Add to that concerns about Zack Greinke's elbow, Carl Crawford's ongoing injury troubles and continued uncertainty about the rotation, it hasn't been a great ST.

On the plus side, Cuban phenom Yasiel Puig is batting at around .500 over +/- 50 plate appearances and has been compared to Bo Jackson in terms of power. But having made just 22 appearances at Single A, he's still incredibly raw and is a 50/50 bet to make the opening day roster. He also might find it hard to play regularly anyway with a Crawford/Kemp/Ethier outfield. Although I daresay Ethier remains on the trading block and Crawford is still a huge unknown.

Really hard to take anything out of Spring Training so far as it was done around the World Baseball Classic, with all players returning to camp by Friday will be a interesting last week of Spring Training.

Well, one won't. Hanley Ramirez tore a ligament in his thumb. Out for eight weeks. Wonder if that might mean the end of the WBC? Sure, it could have happened in a ST game.....

Well, one won't. Hanley Ramirez tore a ligament in his thumb. Out for eight weeks. Wonder if that might mean the end of the WBC? Sure, it could have happened in a ST game.....

Not the best news to wake up to! Jeff Passan off Yahoo! wrote a pretty good column today arguing for Puig to be on the opening day roster. There's some great arguments for and against his inclusion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back