List Mgmt. 2013 Trading & Free Agency

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm thinking 2 picks between 18 and 22.

Now, consider they are both under contract to us, your club has asked to speak to both of them and have offered their manager a decent and lengthy contract.

They may not be worth that but you need to offer us something worthwhile to make the deal happen. I feel that is fair.
Correct Alex .....but in this draft we don't want too many picks at the expense of players ......it starts our development phase all over again \.

We need to get Betts &Polec that can help our team in 2014.
We need to get a 2nd round pick to get the best tall KPP available outside Boyd.

We're trading to help the team now NOT in 3 years time ........The KPP is essential because we have none!

Has had injury problems and hasn't lived up to his pre-draft hype .......but he would be exactly what we need.

Definitely though a 3rd round pick AT BEST

Sam Blease would be worth more than the Pick 22 Melbourne have supposedly offered for Vince + steak knives. One of the few players with potential that have shown something at Melbourne, and how many players have two Rising Star nominations?. Pace and good skills is certainly what we need. I'd be trying for

Vince + Mackay for Blease + Tapscott + Melbourne's 3rd rounder.

We could then use that pick to secure Polec.

Andrew swallow wasn't a high pick - taken at 43

When Frazier was drafted, Collingwood were a basket case under Tony Shaw and Gibbs didn't have a good coaching network around him until last year.
Didn't hurt Murphy though did it ?

See i think that is to high for Vince, im not sure a 28 yo is worth a high teen pick, i think he is worth between 25 and 30.

As for Lyons cant really comment havent seen him much.
By the time your 2nd rounder comes around, it'll be #22 or #23. So that's not far off 25, and when you include the fact Vince is contracted I don't think the devide is that great.

Correct Alex .....but in this draft we don't want too many picks at the expense of players ......it starts our development phase all over again !

That doesn't mean we have to keep them.

We can then on trade that for another player or a higher pick.

Say 19 and 20 and Henderson to Western bulldogs for pick 5, or something like that.

By the time your 2nd rounder comes around, it'll be #22 or #23. So that's not far off 25, and when you include the fact Vince is contracted I don't think the devide is that great.

I understand that i think 25 is at tops tho, I wouldnt mind Vince but i just dont think Melb can trade away a early 2nd rounder for a 28yo. but will see what happens.

Sam Blease would be worth more than the Pick 22 Melbourne have supposedly offered for Vince + steak knives. One of the few players with potential that have shown something at Melbourne, and how many players have two Rising Star nominations?. Pace and good skills is certainly what we need. I'd be trying for

Vince + Mackay for Blease + Tapscott + Melbourne's 3rd rounder.

We could then use that pick to secure Polec.
Don't disagree about Blease ......but Thommo we just have to get & retain a 2nd round pick

Polec needs a player swap (Wright?)

Vince for pick 20 (and we keep)

Lyons stays ....happy with that

Henderson Stays ......really happy with this :thumbsu:

I like the looks of Edwards from GWS who has speed & marking power .......Blease has just speed

We really don't need Tapscott as he doesn't fulfill any need?

Correct Alex .....but in this draft we don't want too many picks at the expense of players ......it starts our development phase all over again \.

We need to get Betts &Polec that can help our team in 2014.
We need to get a 2nd round pick to get the best tall KPP available outside Boyd.

We're trading to help the team now NOT in 3 years time ........The KPP is essential because we have none!

No need to panic about KPP. They're nice to have but midfielders are far more important in the modern game.

Geelong 2007/09/11 - Mooney, N Ablett, Hawkins
Sydney 2012 - S Reid, M Morton, A Goodes
Collingwood 2010 - T Cloke, Dawes
WCE 2006 - Q Lynch, Hansen

None of the above premiership teams had more than one gun forward, and a few didn't have any. Hawthorn is the exception to the rule with Franklin and Roughead in 2008, with Gunston as well this year.

If Taylor Walker is fully fit, our forward line will manage with Johnston and Jenkins as supporting pieces - it is our midfield that will make or break a premiership tilt.

Any way you look at it, 2014 is likely to be a failure from a point of developing our youngsters - we simply don't have enough of them left on our list, a situation which would be even worse under DJ's proposed course of action.

The likes of Laird, Grigg & co will obviously continue to develop - but they will do that from within the best 22. It's the development of players outside the 22, using opportunities generated by injury/suspension, that I'm concerned about. That list of 2014 Depth Players he provided is positively horrible - the only development players there are Hartigan, Aish, Edwards, Johnston & Shaw (assuming he's not on the injury list). The rest are all duds, or has-beens (and never again shall be) - Porps & JPod.

DJ also makes a massive assumption that we'll find 2-3 rookies worth upgrading. It might happen, it might not. I'm far from convinced that Dowdell & Osborn will make it - they may, but it's a big assumption. It's fairly rare for the AFC to upgrade a rookie after just 1 season on the rookie list (Hartigan being an obvious exception).

At the end of his scenario, Petrenko is still our team list in 2015! Enough said.

I bet youve never seen either (Dowdell & Osbourn) play.
Jared Petrenko is only coming off the list by 2015 if he is traded unfortunately. As much as you I or any other might disagree he'll still be there.

To be honest i dont know thats why im asking, Its always hard to judge a player like Lyons who has only been in the AFL for a few years so hard to say.

Their value is going to be higher than expected due to the reason that we aren't shopping them about, clubs have come to us about them. In the same way that if a person came to you and said "Gee Demon 21, that limited edition VC Peter Brock Commodore that you have sitting there in your driveway is nice, I'd like one like that, would you sell me it". Now, as you are quite content with your Peter Brock Commodore and think it will still win you a few drags and give you a few more years service you will want a premium for it, so instead of selling it at market value of say $15k, you want $22k but would be willing to accept $20k if the guy was willing to let you have his girlfriend for the night.

This is different then say the situation that you are out of cash and you need to sell your prized Peter Brock Commodore as if you don't pay a debt, you will be going to jail and being good looking, you fear that sphincter and tonsils will be getting a fearful pounding so you are willing to accept unders just to protect two orifices, so in that case, you would be happy to get near market value but anything that would pay your debt would be taken.

The examples there are a little extreme but relevant in regards to a players worth at the trade table, we don't need to get rid of Lyons or Vince, they are both contracted so we would need to have a premium to part with them so one pick in the teens and one pick in the 20s would be around that mark. I'd imagine that you may look at using your compo pick and 2nd rounder to seal the deal and I guess that may come close but who knows, it may be about a player and not picks, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I understand that i think 25 is at tops tho, I wouldnt mind Vince but i just dont think Melb can trade away a early 2nd rounder for a 28yo. but will see what happens.

No worries. We'll keep him.

Their value is going to be higher than expected due to the reason that we aren't shopping them about, clubs have come to us about them. In the same way that if a person came to you and said "Gee Demon 21, that limited edition VC Peter Brock Commodore that you have sitting there in your driveway is nice, I'd like one like that, would you sell me it". Now, as you are quite content with your Peter Brock Commodore and think it will still win you a few drags and give you a few more years service you will want a premium for it, so instead of selling it at market value of say $15k, you want $22k but would be willing to accept $20k if the guy was willing to let you have his girlfriend for the night.

This is different then say the situation that you are out of cash and you need to sell your prized Peter Brock Commodore as if you don't pay a debt, you will be going to jail and being good looking, you fear that sphincter and tonsils will be getting a fearful pounding so you are willing to accept unders just to protect two orifices, so in that case, you would be happy to get near market value but anything that would pay your debt would be taken.

The examples there are a little extreme but relevant in regards to a players worth at the trade table, we don't need to get rid of Lyons or Vince, they are both contracted so we would need to have a premium to part with them so one pick in the teens and one pick in the 20s would be around that mark. I'd imagine that you may look at using your compo pick and 2nd rounder to seal the deal and I guess that may come close but who knows, it may be about a player and not picks, I guess we will just have to wait and see.

You post some brilliant stuff, and this is amongst your best ;)

So the AFL.com.au articles says they are separate deals.

We could be giving up 2 established players (Vince and Henderson) + Lyons who has shown some good signs in a position Melbourne are desperate for. Picks come with no guarantees, they are drafting another South Australian and run the risk of the go home factor. Its a weak draft when you take out Boyd, and Martin/Hogan are incontestable. Hope both clubs grow some balls here.

So the AFL.com.au articles says they are separate deals.

We could be giving up 2 established players (Vince and Henderson) + Lyons who has shown some good signs in a position Melbourne are desperate for. Picks come with no guarantees, they are drafting another South Australian and run the risk of the go home factor. Its a weak draft when you take out Boyd, and Martin/Hogan are incontestable. Hope both clubs grow some balls here.

Quite frankly I doubt AFL.com.au really know anything, when a journalist uses the phrase "it is understood" or words to that effect, it is code for "I have NFI, this is pure speculation, but I need a story so here goes..."

Just like when Noble is asked if a player is going to be traded and he responds with "he's contracted and a required player..." Sounds like he's saying this player won't be traded, but in actual fact he's said nothing of the sort.

It's also just like when Nathan Bock or Brendan Goddard said they'd like to be one club players just weeks before signing with another club.

Tippett said he'd always be a Gold Coast boy at heart and would end up back there, didn't say when. Although he also said Sydney was kinda his home, because he spent the first year of his life there...

I have no idea what's going on between Melbourne, Adelaide and these two players, it may be that the two are completely isolated events, however at this stage very little is known and this could very easily be part of a much more complicated deal. I also know that you can't take anything at face value this time of year.

BTW this post relates to the first point, your second paragraph is spot on.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back