Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
So pressure acts not exactly a concrete metric.
How can something not tangible be measured ?

They're concrete alright and measured every game.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Each disposal has pressure assigned to it, ranging from no pressure for a set position to closing, corralling, chasing or physical pressure. A pressure act is when a player has applied either closing, corralling, chasing or physical pressure."

"Weighted sum of pressure acts. Under the Champion Data pressure point scoring system physical pressure acts are worth 3.75 points, closing pressure acts are worth 2.25 points, chasing pressure acts are worth 1.50 points, and corralling pressure acts which are worth 1.20 points."

Herald Sun
June 16, 2017 12:01pm

Physical pressure acts obviously include tackles, smothers, spoils, etc.

Forward pressure has never been more important in Australian Rules football.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

"Each disposal has pressure assigned to it, ranging from no pressure for a set position to closing, corralling, chasing or physical pressure. A pressure act is when a player has applied either closing, corralling, chasing or physical pressure."

"Weighted sum of pressure acts. Under the Champion Data pressure point scoring system physical pressure acts are worth 3.75 points, closing pressure acts are worth 2.25 points, chasing pressure acts are worth 1.50 points, and corralling pressure acts which are worth 1.20 points."

Herald Sun

How do you read that and think it could possibly be concrete and taken accurately.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
How do you read that and think it could possibly be concrete and taken accurately.
How can you read that and think they can't ? They already are.

But by all means contact Champion Data and set them straight.

Also, what point are trying to make ?

Prochard123

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 28, 2014
AFL Club
Collingwood
Strongly disagree on the bolded and again this is down the line not for now.
Ok, I obviously don't know as much about Langford as you, so maybe you're correctly predicting a breakout here.

But wanna explain to me what has Lever and Petracca got over Andrews? Both has had alot of exposure, and Andrews is literally everything Lever was touted to become. Except Andrews is already there and playing consistently. Even Lever's only strength, that is his intercepting ability will look to be quite average when Brisbane releases Andrews to a more offensive role.

If every player in the comp was shuffled into a talent pool and drafted, Andrews would be top 30, Lever barely stay in top 70.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers

Herald Sun

So do you have anything else to support your argument? Because right now it seems like you’re really clinging onto the fact this guy is 6th best in the league for a stat that reeks of just a bunch of numbers Champion data throw our from time to time when they run out of things to count.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
How can you read that and think they can't ? They already are.

But by all means contact Champion Data and set them straight.

Also, what point are trying to make ?

I take it you haven't. Champion Data themselves freely admit that the pressure acts stat has issues.

I was just confirming that you were just talking about pressure acts when you said he's a top 6 pressure forward in the comp not some other metric.

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
I take it you haven't. Champion Data themselves freely admit that the pressure acts stat has issues.

I was just confirming that you were just talking about pressure acts when you said he's a top 6 pressure forward in the comp not some other metric.
I haven't what ?

Seeing CD apparently "freely admit" collecting pressure acts stats is problematic please link an article referencing same ? Thanks.

And to your final sentence, yes, I was confirming what I actually said. Do you often ask people to confirm unambiguous comments ?

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
I haven't what ?

Seeing CD apparently "freely admit" collecting pressure acts stats is problematic please link an article referencing same ? Thanks.

And to your final sentence, yes, I was confirming what I actually said. Do you often ask people to confirm unambiguous comments ?

C'mon man I thought you were prick not dumb. You don't see how there could be massive grey area in a stat that is trying to track the impact of coralling and chasing? When is a chase not a chase where do you draw the line?

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
C'mon man I thought you were prick not dumb. You don't see how there could be massive grey area in a stat that is trying to track the impact of coralling and chasing? When is a chase not a chase where do you draw the line?
Just link me with Champion Data "freely admitting" their issues with pressure acts stats. It shouldn't be hard if they "freely admit" it.

Thanks

Hannabal

Club Legend
Feb 21, 2010
High on a hill
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Franger Banger
Saw it on their Twitter they working to improve it. Feel free to be sceptical.
Been following them on twitter for years and I've never seen this "freely admitted".

Anyway, I'll leave you to discuss stats that don't suit your Essendon narratives. Strange fruit.

Haychh

Premiership Player
Jun 26, 2017
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Green Bay Packers
This is the official player ratings from Champion Data.... What are the chances???
9E4F4722-BD16-4F97-8197-7C721F7BDD0D.jpeg

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Just a heads up, enagaging in a discussion with Bill on anything Essendon is just a precursor to banging your head against a wall. Troll everytime.
So I disagree that Langford will break out and become a gun in 2019 I’m trolling?

Well we will know in 10 months time. Big chance my “troll” is in fact 100% correct.

Sep 28, 2007
AFL Club
Essendon
So I disagree that Langford will break out and become a gun in 2019 I’m trolling?

Well we will know in 10 months time. Big chance my “troll” is in fact 100% correct.
Oh. You think I'm basing my opinion on a single post do you?

Also, it was more aimed at your oh so subtle crack at Myers.

What percentage of your posts here are about Essendon?

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Oh. You think I'm basing my opinion on a single post do you?

Also, it was more aimed at your oh so subtle crack at Myers.

What percentage of your posts here are about Essendon?
5%. I see two similar players. Name a player Langford is more like than Myers?

Their 4th year stats are extremely similar.

Ambrosia

Brownlow Medallist
Mar 11, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon

Myers was playing HBF in his 4th year. Raw kicks and handballs may be similar but that'd be about it.

Just off the top of my head Jake Melksham is probably more similar in the way he struggled to find his best position for a big portion of his career.

Zoom

Carefree
Dec 16, 2018
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
Chelsea FC
For a guy who supports the most vanilla list in the AFL, Wild Bill sure does troll a lot of players.

Jobe Watson.

Same size, same shape, both maligned players who started as forwards but moulded into midfielders. Jobe the better solid extractor, Langford better kick.

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
Jobe Watson.

Same size, same shape, both maligned players who started as forwards but moulded into midfielders. Jobe the better solid extractor, Langford better kick.
Watson averaged 29 touches at his peak. I can’t see Langford becoming a 29 touch mid. But this can be revisited down the track.

Back