2015 Round 1 Line up

Remove this Banner Ad

Perhaps if he adds a little more size over the pre-season, you'd think Roberts and Talia are ahead in the pecking order ATM.
You can't really say that considering he has come from a side that's hard to crack into , I would say if he has a big preseason they are all on the same level

Morris Roughead Picken
Biggs Talia/Roberts/Austin? Murphy

Bontempelli Liberatore Macrae

Crameri Stringer Hrovat
Dahlhaus Boyd Dickson

Minson Boyd Wallis

Stevens Wood Johannisen
Honeychurch/Hunter

EMG: Campbell Hunter/Honeychurch Grant
Roughead to relief ruck, with Morris playing tall when Minson's off and Wood adopting Morris' role. Smith to take Boyd's spot when he comes back. Campbell to take Minson's spot by the end of the year (here's hoping).

Others: Jong, Grant, Darley, Fuller, Cordy, Prudden, Pearce.

Ridiculously slow but young and talented.

I was thinking about this the other day, given that we've lost Griff we have a very one-paced on-ball brigade, but so do Hawthorn (and Geelong), but what they do have is quick wingers who can run and carry (B.Hill/I.Smith) Lewis, Mitchell and Hodge et al. certainly aren't quick.
So perhaps guys like JJ, Darley, Biggs and hopefully a player or two that we draft this year could fill that run and carry role?

I was thinking about this the other day, given that we've lost Griff we have a very one-paced on-ball brigade, but so do Hawthorn (and Geelong), but what they do have is quick wingers who can run and carry (B.Hill/I.Smith) Lewis, Mitchell and Hodge et al. certainly aren't quick.
So perhaps guys like JJ, Darley, Biggs and hopefully a player or two that we draft this year could fill that run and carry role?
The problem with modelling our side off Hawthorn's structure is that their entire game plan and setup is predicated on brilliant foot skills and strong cohesion within the team - we have neither. While it's hard to say how much of an impact a new coach will have on these things until we see it in action, I still think our midfielders, on the whole, are pretty average ball users and have a long way to go before they're anywhere near Hawthorn's level of skill - and I don't think they'll ever be capable of getting there. Hawthorn are able to get away with average foot speed because a) they rarely make mistakes, and b) when they do make mistakes they work harder than almost any team in the competition to get back before the rebound builds momentum. They're rarely exposed with speed because they can keep possession excellently and control the rebound without having to chase - unfortunately, we can't do so.

I do think it's a good model (clearly, given the three premierships) - but I don't think it works overly well in our case. We need to inject pace and skill somehow and it's more than just throwing one or two players on the wing for mine.

The problem with modelling our side off Hawthorn's structure is that their entire game plan and setup is predicated on brilliant foot skills and strong cohesion within the team - we have neither. While it's hard to say how much of an impact a new coach will have on these things until we see it in action, I still think our midfielders, on the whole, are pretty average ball users and have a long way to go before they're anywhere near Hawthorn's level of skill - and I don't think they'll ever be capable of getting there. Hawthorn are able to get away with average foot speed because a) they rarely make mistakes, and b) when they do make mistakes they work harder than almost any team in the competition to get back before the rebound builds momentum. They're rarely exposed with speed because they can keep possession excellently and control the rebound without having to chase - unfortunately, we can't do so.

I do think it's a good model (clearly, given the three premierships) - but I don't think it works overly well in our case. We need to inject pace and skill somehow and it's more than just throwing one or two players on the wing for mine.
Agreed dannnnnn. Rocket and plough both dramatically improved the individual skill level of the squads when they took over, and we need the drink to do the same. We can't just draft wigg or viojo-rainbow and think it's job done. Every player needs to improve their skills by both hand and foot. It makes the game so much easier. Players can run forward and lead with more confidence. Less turnover ball means less time chasing ass. More time with the footy means less time finding your opponent. It all adds up and has to come across the group, not just with one or 2 additions.

Held off from doing this as I have so many question marks in this team (where does Rough play, where should we develop Bonts etc) and so many players that I want to fit in but just can't, but eh why not.

Picken/Wood, Roberts, Moz
Murph, Talia, Darley/Biggs

Macrae, Boyd, Bonts
Minno, Libba, Wallis

Stevens, Roughead, Crameri
Dahlhaus, Boyd, Stringer

Hunter, JJ, Jong, etc

Just off the top of my head and I'm sure I've made some very stupid omissions.

Wow really does show how little experience we have in this team now. Biggest weakness in that team for me is Roberts and Talia holding down key posts, and they will get badly beaten at times but it's time to stand up for those two.

I know I'm biased as all **** but I honestly can't see why (with the right coach) that team can't go bang next year and be pushing the 8-10 range.

Last edited:
Wow some of us really over rate some of our players

The passion is great but reality is reality guys

Some of these players people are saying are a reason we will improve won't even be in the team IF we are improving coz they ain't up to it

The main aspect of our team for next year to govern how good we are will come down to experience and structure.
Yes we have a great young list of future stars but all wont have a consistent season.

Structure wise, I would really like to see Boyd fulltime in the foward line with either a resting Campbell/Minson or we draft another Key forward or we try and turn Roberts into a swingman weapon. By doing this atleast we wont get 2 key defenders playing on Boyd and will allow us to play crumbing forwards in Dahlhouse, GRANT yes grant and hrovat to an affect.
Id really like Murphy to play abit more up forward also because he adds experience and much needed creativity.

BEST forward line for me would be.

FF= Dalhouse- Boyd- Grant
CHf= Crameri - Stringer - Murphy

Mcrae - Libba - Hrovat
Minson - Bontempelly- Boyd

Hbf= JJ/wood - Roughead - Darly/Biggs
FB= Morris - Talia - Picken

bench
Wallis, Stevens, Roberts, Hunter

Now in the middle most of our midfeilders have played an ave of about 30 games so its vital we keep a bigger body with experience in Boyd and stevens running through there.

Our main problem in our list lets face it is our defence, now other than picken and Morris nobody is safe and nobody wants to absolutly dominate their possition and call it mine.
I beleive We should b playing Roughead at CHB reason being is he isnt fast enough to match it with the quick leading full fowards with good ground work in Shultz, Carlsile, Cloke and Roughead his cousin.
Playing him at CHB will sort of releive the pressure off him abit and will provide us with a great option to kick to when kicking out from full back.
We really need 2 of either JJ, Wood, Darly and Biggs to become genuine lockdown small defenders with the ability to create plenty of run from the backline.
We must and i repeat we must blood Talia and Roberts because they are are that age where they should be really holding down Fullback. Roberts has the potential to become a great swingman..

I think versatility is a big key to footy these days. I think we are building a list that gives us a lot versatility and Macca played guys in different positions to develop them so.

Roughead is one such player. 200cm backmen are not common. Clearly last year he was injured a bit. He did struggle on the quick leading types but I think his future is mostly as a defender. But I can see games where there is no match up for him, that he moves forward and becomes the 2nd or 3rd tall and back up ruck.

We need to get Talia and Roberts up and about. If they could step up, then we have 2 guys who might be able to hold KP defensive posts, allow Roughead to go forward at times. Roberts can go forward too. More versatility.

If I was interviewing the coaches, I'd be keen to hear their views on how we structure best, does he like 2 rucks, 2 to 3 talls forward and back. I believe that for us to move forward we must have more talls. Boyd is a great start, but let's see if we support him with at least 1 other genuine tall. Let's play 2 genuine tall defenders too and have a ruckman to support Big Willy.

Wow some of us really over rate some of our players

The passion is great but reality is reality guys

Some of these players people are saying are a reason we will improve won't even be in the team IF we are improving coz they ain't up to it

Yeah - tots agree. We need to go draft someone like Jones whose loss will leave a massive hole for us next year. Thankfully,now your hard work has got rid of our crap coach, you can now work on telling us how crap our list is as well. See if you can find a couple of players to really dig into - I'll have a think about the same and we can discuss how awful they are ad nauseum for the next 24 months. That's gunna be awesome.

Yeah - tots agree. We need to go draft someone like Jones whose loss will leave a massive hole for us next year. Thankfully,now your hard work has got rid of our crap coach, you can now work on telling us how crap our list is as well. See if you can find a couple of players to really dig into - I'll have a think about the same and we can discuss how awful they are ad nauseum for the next 24 months. That's gunna be awesome.

Thank you very much

Pretty happy with the outcome regarding Macca its a win for all concerned.

As to our list it's ok but the bottom end is poor and if people are expecting blokes like Dickson and Jong to be reasons we improve then we really are in the Sh!t coz you can't pull your socks up if you ain't wearing any.

Thank you very much

Pretty happy with the outcome regarding Macca its a win for all concerned.

As to our list it's ok but the bottom end is poor and if people are expecting blokes like Dickson and Jong to be reasons we improve then we really are in the Sh!t coz you can't pull your socks up if you ain't wearing any.

I think Jong has potential but needs regular game time. Also we have lost a lot of speed through the midfield in Griffen, Cooney, and Tutt, and with Higgins/Coons/Griff a lot of size as well. The balance of our team is out because we have too many smallish players (Dhal, Picken, Hrovat, Hunter, JJ). For this reason I really hope Jong gets a go.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I think Jong has potential but needs regular game time. Also we have lost a lot of speed through the midfield in Griffen, Cooney, and Tutt, and with Higgins/Coons/Griff a lot of size as well. The balance of our team is out because we have too many smallish players (Dhal, Picken, Hrovat, Hunter, JJ). For this reason I really hope Jong gets a go.
You'd think the drink would have seen the VFL GF live and Jong was close to BOG (I thought he was) so there's every chance he'll get his chance to show how far he's come....

ok here is my round one team
FB: Morris, Roberts, Wood
HB: Biggs, Talia, Darley
C: Macrae, M.Boyd, Bontempelli
HF: Murphy, Crameri, Dehlhaus
FF: Stringer, T.Boyd, Hunter
R: Minson, Liberatore, Picken
Int: Hrovat, Roughead, Wallis
Sub: Stevens

Just looking over the backline, I'm not going to put players in a set position but rather explain what role I think they should fill in the backline.

Jordan Roughead

Will play the traditional FB type role, playing on the oppositions bigger players who's strength is their biggest asset as opposed to their speed/agility. The opposition resting ruckman would typically be the ideal match up for him.

Examples: Kurt Tippett, Charlie Dixon, Jon Patton

Michael Talia

Athletic Tall defender, would play on the oppositions best athletic forward (typically the centre half forward).

Examples: Nick Riewoldt, Tom Lynch (GC), Justin Westhoff

Dale Morris

Goes back to playing on the third tall forward, using his experience to effectively take them out of the game on most occasions. Can also play on a smaller forward if the opposition doesn't have a suitable matchup.

Examples: Jack Gunston, Adam Goodes, Angus Monfries

Fletcher Roberts

Swing-man type player, can read the play well and has decent disposal and as such can play as a loose man type defender. Can also help cover our more offensive minded defenders freeing them up to go onto the attack. Also has the potential to go forward and kick a few goals as an x-factor type player. Role would be somewhat similar to that of Tyson Goldsack for Collingwood.

Liam Picken

Goes back next year and shuts down the oppositions best small forward/resting midfielder.

Examples: Lindsay Thomas, Boomer Harvey, Hayden Ballantyne

Sam Darley

Would like to see Darley make the half back flank position his own to release Murphy further up the ground. Main objective is to find space and use his elite disposal to set up play further up the field. Ideally would have a defensive forward on him so he wouldn't need to worry about defending too much. Think Matthew Suckling or Brodie Smith.

Easten Wood

Hopefully with both of Talia and Roberts coming into the it can release Wood to be the more offensive player he needs to be. Has shown he's willing to take the game on and make daring runs. Would play on a less effective forward but would need to be accountable nonetheless.

Examples: Matthew Wright, Sam Lloyd.

This is the type of backline I think covers most bases at the moment, if I had to put it on paper it would look something like:

B: Picken Roughead Morris
HB: Wood Talia Darley
Loose Man: Roberts

FB: jj - Roughead - Morris

HB: Murphy - Talia - Wood

C: -McCrae- Wallis - Biggs

HF: Hunter - Cordy - Grant

FF: Stringer - T. Boyd - Dahlhaus

R: Minson - Liberatore - Bonti

Inter: Boyd - Hrovatt - Stevens-Picken

boyd sub

Emerg
Roberts
Honeychurch
Darley
Dickson

Morris Fletch Wood
Murphy Talia Biggs
Bonti Wallis Macrae
Crameri Rough Hunter
Dal Boyd Stringer
Minson Libba Boyd

IC: Stevens, Hrovat, Picken
Sub: Honey

Close: JJ and Darley

Morris - Roughead - Wood
Murphy - Talia - Biggs
Macrae - Liberatore - Hrovat
Crameri - Stringer - Hunter
Dahlhaus - Boyd - Grant

Minson - Wallis - Bontempelli

Cordy - Picken - Stevens - Daniel

Old Boyd misses out.

B- Morris Roberts Roughead
HB- Wood Talia Murphy
C- Biggs Jong Macrae
HF- Crameri Bontempelli Grant
F- Dahlhaus Boyd Stringer
RUCK- Minson
RR- Boyd
RO- Liberatore
INT- Hrovat, Hunter, Stevens,
SUB- Johannisen
Emer- Wallis, Picken, Prudden,

Morris - Roughead - Wood
Murphy - Talia - Biggs
Macrae - Liberatore - Hrovat
Crameri - Stringer - Hunter
Dahlhaus - Boyd - Grant

Minson - Wallis - Bontempelli

Cordy - Picken - Stevens - Daniel

Old Boyd misses out.

i presume your cordy is Ayce?

i reckon plenty of your midfielders have a looooong way to go to catch old boy Boyd.

i presume your cordy is Ayce?

i reckon plenty of your midfielders have a looooong way to go to catch old boy Boyd.
Yes, I think he's set to have a break-out year. Less confident about Grant, but the huge potential is there; crossing my fingers Bevers can get the best out of him.

I thought 2014 was going to be Boyd's last. I know he's been a great servant & offers a lot of experience, but there needs to be a time where he'll be ironed out similar to Cross & Gia, especially considering the amount of ordinary kicks we have in the team.

Yes, I think he's set to have a break-out year. Less confident about Grant, but the huge potential is there; crossing my fingers Bevers can get the best out of him.

I thought 2014 was going to be Boyd's last. I know he's been a great servant & offers a lot of experience, but there needs to be a time where he'll be ironed out similar to Cross & Gia, especially considering the amount of ordinary kicks we have in the team.

i hope you're right about Ayce, but i don't have much more than "hope". i've never been convinced by grant, even his sparkle in late 2013. on a statistical basis, tory dickson is far superior to jarrad grant, and i've got tory as a fringe player at best.

i hope you're right about Ayce, but i don't have much more than "hope". i've never been convinced by grant, even his sparkle in late 2013. on a statistical basis, tory dickson is far superior to jarrad grant, and i've got tory as a fringe player at best.
In the few games Cordy played this year, I saw a bit of Dean Cox in him. With a bit of overdue luck, he could be a high quality, super agile ruckman. I think he's a much more exciting prospect than Tom Campbell.

As for Jarrad Grant, he's a pick 5, 193cm, has elite agility, flair & knows where the goals are. He's been devoid of confidence & determination his whole career, and imo, just needs a coach to light the fire in his belly. Dickson's proven more at AFL Level, but Grant at his best is a far more exciting prospect.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back