Prediction Round 1 Hyped Up Dees V The Land of Giants Dogs 18/3/23 MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

They say only 50,000 people are going to get to this game. I don’t get the ethics of keeping so little of the ground open for general admission. Money hungry *ers
There’s heaps of bays around the cheer squad on level 1 as well as level 4 for us general admission ticket holders to sit in.

Melbourne have 50,000+ members, they have to have seat kept for those people, seats kept for the MCC and AFL reserve.

Love him, or deride him, Zaine Cordy gave me one of the best feelings in my life at approx 2:50pm on the 1st October 2016:

3955b78e4f1424c1d36c776c1ced04474a7a2482
This is true. There were a number of unfashionable heroes on that day. Fletcher Roberts anybody. The prelim and the GF were easily the best 2 games he played for the club. Probs Roughie and Cordy also.

Love him, or deride him, Zaine Cordy gave me one of the best feelings in my life at approx 2:50pm on the 1st October 2016:

3955b78e4f1424c1d36c776c1ced04474a7a2482
I was always a fan of Cords, not because of his skills but because he played with absolute heart. He bled Red, White and Blue and busted his arse every time he crossed the white line, as did Hunter. It's why I'll never boo them. Others however, I booed until my throat was sore.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

I was always a fan of Cords, not because of his skills but because he played with absolute heart. He bled Red, White and Blue and busted his arse every time he crossed the white line, as did Hunter. It's why I'll never boo them. Others however, I booed until my throat was sore.

On SM-G960F using BigFooty.com mobile app

The only fans Cordy has because of his skill are the opposition

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Thats fair enough then. I hope thats the only reason. Still don't understand how he somehow lost his spot to VDM last season
it would be because of West's lack of foot speed. He is too easy to spread away from when the pace goes up a notch, he can't go with his defender. Starts the chain with overlap that we didn't defend well last year

English is no where near Gawn. Not even close. For his toughness, leadership, mentality & standing up when it counts. English is still hit or miss.

Oliver might be the best player in the game by years end. Already won the best player in the game as judged by the coaches twice. 4 x B&F before the age of 26. Comparing him to Macrae is unfair.

Treloar & Smith jury is still out on if the can play cohesive team football that impacts on winning in the midfield. Too often they lose concentration, forget thier assignments in big moments in games.

Libba is a jet.
What ridiculous nonsense
Oliver would be lucky to be top 20
English had no trouble handling Gawn last time

Goodwin still confident if we play with 4 tall forwards, as he says the Demons have 7 or 8 guys who can cover it if needed 🤷‍♂️

May would be a huge loss for them, as well as Fritsch. But if we do go tall, we need to be super efficient attacking and create space for each other. Not endless blind long bombs to crowded packs and hoping one tall is able to take a grab.

Still weary of being run off our legs in the middle. Teams running over the back of us with swarms of small speedy players is what got us heaps when defending kick ins etc. Game down in Geelong last season an example, after we shut down their tall players and their plan A. As well as 5-7 goal runs in a quarter where teams walk it out of the middle in a few other games. If we can defend both of those areas better, then it will serve us well. Lobb will need to step up in the ruck, as they will no doubt rotate Gawn and Grundy heaps to try and wear English down.

I had the Demons just beating us a couple of weeks ago. But feel the likely loss of May give us a chance to get off to a good start.
Goodwin must be back with Dank

What ridiculous nonsense
Oliver would be lucky to be top 20
English had no trouble handling Gawn last time
Top 20?

This is a player that has won the coaches award as the best player in the game the last two years.

You can't be taken seriously.

G
Gawn is a mile ahead of English. English may get there but at this present time there is a large gap in leadership and getting your side over the line.

Oliver, Petracca and Bont are the top 3 onballers in the league in my opinion. They are a strong team Melbourne and should challenge Geelong this year. We are not far away, yet do not have their structured zone defence. Our defence was a shemozzle last year and we need to turn it around yet not sure we have the players to totally buy into a true team, zone defence.

Yet if May is out, thats a huge difference and gives us a good shot. Woof woof woof.
bullshit on Gawn being miles ahead he has nowhere near the pace and versatility of English

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Things Oliver does better than Macare

Better centre clearance player
Better at winning his own ball
Scoring goals
Contributes more to offensive & defensive aspects of the game
Better meters gained player by foot or using his legs

The only thing I think Macare is better at is the short 15-25M kick. Handballing skills and ability to find the footy is quite similar.
There is a BF section for Demons suppoters

Overall pretty happy with that, I get the feeling team selection is going to be a little more ‘normal’ this year.

I’d love to have McLean or West in over Hannan but he was always gonna get first crack, don’t love it just don’t see a spot for him but hopefully it works. Toby will be a really strong sub option coming on late I reckon, hopefully he can work his way back into starting 22 form

West not even emg is weirddd, he’s just always so far away in the coaches minds for whatever reason. Gonna be the one that got away I reckon, he’ll be a very good player
I probably sound like a broken record with West but I believe it’s because he does not run hard enough defensively. He is great when the ball is in his vicinity but not so much when it isn’t

The height/immobility in the backline concerns me more than the four talls forward tbh. The Dees have never really beaten us with contested marking prowess, they've done it by dashing out of the middle and hitting up mobile targets. Stationary talls wouldn't be my plan A to defend that.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Doubt we've ever had a taller named side since I started watching the Dogs.
Jones has a brilliant closing speed and reads the play well he will be critical to our defence

Remove this Banner Ad

Back