Prediction Round 1 Hyped Up Dees V The Land of Giants Dogs 18/3/23 MCG

Remove this Banner Ad

The height/immobility in the backline concerns me more than the four talls forward tbh. The Dees have never really beaten us with contested marking prowess, they've done it by dashing out of the middle and hitting up mobile targets. Stationary talls wouldn't be my plan A to defend that.

Looking forward to seeing how it goes. Doubt we've ever had a taller named side since I started watching the Dogs.
Yeah I really don't like the Bruce selection, would be much more comfortable with Crozier.

Hoping for a late change.

I dare say he will spend a fair chunk up forward, he's had a fair bit of success playing as a small forward in the pre season. I would expect Williams to play on one wing after the success he had on Langdon last year. Then we may choose to heavily rotate the other wing with Baker, Scott, Smith etc.
This is the way I see it too, Williams is our anchor on the wing. Pretty much the defensive winger who won’t lose a one on one, can drop back and help out in defence and give us an outlet marking option. Not quick but he’s safe, and has a nice long offensive kick on him too.

The other wing we can heavily rotate some speed through

Presumably Williams is the 7th rotating defender and like Macrae we've named them on the wing without an intention tk actually play them there?

Presumably we're going to Scott in the wing with Baker with Hannan actually playing properly as a small forward like in the VFL practice game, not on the wing like he did in patches last year.

Presumably Williams is the 7th rotating defender and like Macrae we've named them on the wing without an intention tk actually play them there?

Presumably we're going to Scott in the wing with Baker with Hannan actually playing properly as a small forward like in the VFL practice game, not on the wing like he did in patches last year.
7th defender is still CD I’d think, with Bruce named on the bench (usually you’d name your 3 talls on the ground)

Definitely feel that we will sub Bruce or Darcy for McLean, depending on how the game is progressing.

Yes we are tall, but surely this is a positive ?

JUH and Naughton play like tall HFF - they are elite ground level players and both super quick, so hopefully they bring the defensive and ground level pressure as well as the aerial threat.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tomorrow night should also be a test of which team is fitter at this time of the year with the temperature a big factor.
No doubt the pressure has now shifted on to us, particularly with May and our nemesis Fritsch out. If Melbourne beat us convincingly with their outs it's not the end of the world but it will provoke many questions being asked.

Tomorrow night should also be a test of which team is fitter at this time of the year with the temperature a big factor.
No doubt the pressure has now shifted on to us, particularly with May and our nemesis Fritsch out. If Melbourne beat us convincingly with their outs it's not the end of the world but it will provoke many questions being asked.

Melbourne are still strong favourites according to the bookies, even with some big outs and debutants set to play.

We really should be winning, but a loss will fill them with absolute confidence and probably add to our mental scars.

Here we go again, good luck and mental health to all us WB supporters this year.

Now, i havent followed the injury list to closely this year but very surprised to see hannan picked especially is he is going to play the small forwards role. Is Garcia or McNeill not available? It's a new year I know and the footy gods work in mysterious ways and I know Hannan did kick a few at times but that was more in a JUH role rather than a small forward role. Fingers crossed but I cant see this helping with team balance, but lets hope I'm wrong. Based on the Nth game it astounds me Bruce was picked, ghis kicking was deplorable. I would have Baku any day of the week based on what the team already has. He is more athletic and actually showed quite a bit and can play big or small.

Don't mind Macrae starting outside the centre bounce.He has mental scars from Oliver and Petracca.Can always swap after bounce.And with Hannan ! l would hope he can block those two at the very least.He has the strength!
Naughton should also be considered at the bounce for his added strength.With such an array of talls. Like Cameron for Geelong.!Or the old days of Wynd and Darcy senior .English would certainly grow taller.

Don't mind Macrae starting outside the centre bounce.He has mental scars from Oliver and Petracca.Can always swap after bounce.And with Hannan ! l would hope he can block those two at the very least.He has the strength!
Naughton should also be considered at the bounce for his added strength.With such an array of talls. Like Cameron for Geelong.!Or the old days of Wynd and Darcy senior .English would certainly grow taller.
I’d actually love to see Naughty take a few centre bounces (as a midfielder not ruck) he really is fantastic in the contest, would be an imposing sight for opposition players, just let him bust a couple of packs here and there when needed

I’d actually love to see Naughty take a few centre bounces (as a midfielder not ruck) he really is fantastic in the contest, would be an imposing sight for opposition players, just let him bust a couple of packs here and there when needed

I personally think Marra will play some midfield in the future.

Sent from my iPhone using BigFooty.com

To match Hunter and Langdon we'll probably rotate a few through the wings. Williams gets a run after Baker & Scott

Will Bevo give Baker the job on Hunter, rather than an ex-teammate?
I think there will be different players at different times. Hunter plays pretty attacking so Williams might get first crack

The obvious late changes are Baker and Williams out for Khamis and Sweet.

Beveridge is now a committed 'talls' extremist, and it's a hill he will die on.

I know it. You know it. He's a madman.

He's our madman. But he's still a madman.

View attachment 1631537
Peter Street is signing up to the mid season test as we speak

Peter Street is signing up to the mid season test as we speak
Looking fit.

794550486d83a3f1a9e581270d656222

Remove this Banner Ad

Back