Mega Thread 2016 Brownlow Medal Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 'Little Master'* to win.
Gazza that is, thanks Fyfe for keeping his seat warm till he came back.

*(Note: Not referring to Cyril...nearly spat out my dinner when the commentators called him that, during his 5 disposal game yesterday)

Yeah umps don't rate Gray. Not sure why tbh
I wonder if it's the 2nd year thing, better next time around.

Maybe he's not noticeable enough, needs to be a chrome dome or something.

18th best last year, with 13 votes.... lol. Vince, Gaff, Swan, Ward, Mundy all better.... yeah nah.

Dangerfield and Robbie Gray to tie
That would be an awesome West Horsham shitfight.... oh wait a sec :$

Dangerfield for me will win by 5+ votes. Umpires will be all aboard the bandwagon.

I saw Ablett was paying $7 last week and should have dumped the house on it.
He copped heaps last year while injured and I have no doubt he is going to have a massive year.

Danger and Nicnat will also poll well. Selwood and Priddis to take votes though.
Fyfe to be middle of the pack.

Interested whether Danger's finger point today will cost him 3 votes.

By all accounts its exactly the type of thing we should discourage as that type of behaviour inspires junior and young amatuer players to think that its ok... Where in suburbs comps it a) costs the game umpires (which are needed) and b) can be downright dangerous.

Supposed to be best and fairest after all.

I thought that as well.
Back chatting the umpire cost Greg Wiliams votes in a game against Melbourne when he had 40+ touches.
The votes he didn't get lost him the Brownlow.

Because Gaff's output in 2015 was worth including in that list.
Irrelevant, those players aren't on the same level as Gray is.

Gray is one of the best players in the comp, Gaff isn't anywhere near the best player on his team.

He just doesn't get noticed. I can remember Tredrea being outright favourite in 2004, he finished equal 10th (15 votes), half the votes of the winner, Judd (30), with Chad Cornes finishing 3rd on 22.

No one in Port would have taken Chad over Tredrea. Umpires are clueless, Tredrea was a one man fwd line in the most dominant team of the year.

MVP is a silly award. The average poster on this forum would watch more footy than the average player.
I think the MVP winners are often better players though.

Gray hasn't finished within 12 votes of the winner the last 2 years

Umpires don't like/ appreciate his game

Interesting to see if he gets 3 votes for round 1, he got 10 votes from the coaches

Irrelevant, those players aren't on the same level as Gray is.

Gray is one of the best players in the comp, Gaff isn't anywhere near the best player on his team.

He just doesn't get noticed. I can remember Tredrea being outright favourite in 2004, he finished equal 10th (15 votes), half the votes of the winner, Judd (30), with Chad Cornes finishing 3rd on 22.

No one in Port would have taken Chad over Tredrea. Umpires are clueless, Tredrea was a one man fwd line in the most dominant team of the year.

Gaff's 2015 was better than Gray's.
That doesn't change the fact that Gray might be the better player.

Gaff's 2015 was better than Gray's.
That doesn't change the fact that Gray might be the better player.

Hey, Gaff had a great year last year, but to say his 2015 was better than Gray's is... well I guess it's up for debate, but I don't see it. He got more possessions and inside 50s... but Gray got 100 more contested possessions (in 4 less games), twice as many goals, three times as many goal assists, 30 more tackles and over twice as many clearances.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Hey, Gaff had a great year last year, but to say his 2015 was better than Gray's is... well I guess it's up for debate, but I don't see it. He got more possessions and inside 50s... but Gray got 100 more contested possessions (in 4 less games), twice as many goals, three times as many goal assists, 30 more tackles and over twice as many clearances.

But why are you surprised that Gray had more contested possessions, goals and clearances than Gaff?
Gaff does not play in a role that would allow him to compete with Gray in those areas.
Now I'm not Gray-bashing. I thought his 2014 was as good as anyone's.
I just felt that his 2015 was not quite as good.

But why are you surprised that Gray had more contested possessions, goals and clearances than Gaff?
Gaff does not play in a role that would allow him to compete with Gray in those areas.

I'm not surprised at all - when did I say I was surprised?

Gaff got more disposals (mostly uncontested - he's an outside mid) and rebound 50s, Gray actually averaged more inside 50s per game than Gaff (although they're pretty much identical).

Then Gray's on top in every other area of being a midfielder and a forward. His dominance in two positions puts him ahead.

I'm not Gaff-bashing either. Gray was just a better player last year.

As above Gray is that good he can play and dominate both roles, I'm not picking on Gaff anyway, he's better than most above him according to that Brownlow ladder.

If Gray was in Victoria this season playing for Richmond the media beat up would rival Danger. Horribly underated by the umpires.

Gray is very underrated. A superb footballer who can do it all. Would be a very worthy winner.

Steven from my side is a smokey who I also feel doesn't get enough credit in the wider football world. So much so he is often referred to as 'Stevens' by many of the so called experts. For mine, a top 20 player in the comp with brownlow potential as soon as we start to really improve.

Ablett then Fyfe then Gray then Dangerfield.

Ablett does everything danger does but with far better finishing skills and effectiveness. We should see the return of the best player in the league.

Gray is also looking in beast mode again and should poll better if history follows.

Fyfe is Fyfe.

If danger plays like that consistently he will go close. Can still be shut down.

I'm not surprised at all - when did I say I was surprised?

Gaff got more disposals (mostly uncontested - he's an outside mid) and rebound 50s, Gray actually averaged more inside 50s per game than Gaff (although they're pretty much identical).

Then Gray's on top in every other area of being a midfielder and a forward. His dominance in two positions puts him ahead.

I'm not Gaff-bashing either. Gray was just a better player last year.

Ok, so even if we concede that Gray was better than Gaff in 2015, I don't think it was as much as a joke/laughable/poor reflection on the Brownlow that Gaff finished ahead of Gray as the other Port supporter made it out to be.

Gray may have been ahead overall. WC won more games with Gaff huge in a lot of wins. It's not a "lol yeah nah"

Had a dream Josh Kennedy would win it, but forget which one it was :p

Yep that's why he won our B&F last year :rolleyes:

Please stick to commenting on subject you at least have some knowledge of...
Since when is the B&F an accurate rating?

I could list countless B&F winners that won by the nature of how they work votes out.

Ablett then Fyfe then Gray then Dangerfield.

Ablett does everything danger does but with far better finishing skills and effectiveness. We should see the return of the best player in the league.

Gray is also looking in beast mode again and should poll better if history follows.

Fyfe is Fyfe.

If danger plays like that consistently he will go close. Can still be shut down.
You just know in a quiet game Danger will still poll.

He had a handful like that in the last year or two.

Think he'll smash it.

It's funny looking at them all though, they all have big faults. Ablett is overly careful with injuries, Dangers disposal, Fyfes repeated brain fade hits, Gray forgot how to kick a set shot since he went to the middle, despite being one of the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back