Strategy 2016 Draft Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

We also really need another ruckman, and SA has two of the best.
Sweet and Ladhams.
If there is one at our third rounder I would take one of those. The big issue is if anyone puts a bid in on Jarman. If someone like Hawthorn or Port put a bid in around our third rounder it might cause our club to think about it.

Any chance of Witherden lasting to our first pick. I know he is out for this year with his leg but we took a punt on Lever too. I also like Berry as an option. What are you thoughts on Taranto and Rotham? These 2 look very impressive.

If the club (like a few on here) thinks we're pretty much at the start of our period where we are contenders for the PM'ship for the next few years, they might prioritise ready-to-go draftees who could have a playing impact asap so I reckon taking a risk on a player who might need extra time to get over a big injury before they can contribute might not likely happen.

Any chance of Witherden lasting to our first pick. I know he is out for this year with his leg but we took a punt on Lever too. I also like Berry as an option. What are you thoughts on Taranto and Rotham? These 2 look very impressive.
I think witherden , Taranto and Rotham would be just out of our range but if one gets through to our pick it would be hard to knock back. Would have all those before berry personally

I think witherden , Taranto and Rotham would be just out of our range but if one gets through to our pick it would be hard to knock back. Would have all those before berry personally
Will they be, though?

Here's my rough phantom at the moment:

1: Essendon - Will Brodie
2: Gold Coast - Jack Bowes
3: Brisbane - Hugh McCluggage
4: Fremantle - SPS
5: GWS - Harry Perryman
6: Richmond - Todd Marshall
7: GWS - Will Setterfield
8: St Kilda - Daniel Venables ( :( )
9: Carlton - Ben Ainsworth
10: Gold Coast - Tim English (if Nicholls moves elsewhere)
11: Port Adelaide - Jonty Scharenberg
12: West Coast - Josh Rotham
13: North Melbourne - Sam Powell-Pepper
14: Western Bulldogs - Josh Battle
15: GWS - Kobe Mutch
16: Hawthorn - Andrew McGrath

All of Gallucci, Witherden, Taranto, Graham, Scrimshaw, Simpkin still on my board. Don't think we'd take Simpkin, but I'd be happy with any of the other five. Gallucci, Taranto and Scrimshaw I'd be particularly happy with

But shitloads of water to go under the bridge, of course

Will they be, though?

All of Gallucci, Witherden, Taranto, Graham, Scrimshaw, Simpkin still on my board. Don't think we'd take Simpkin, but I'd be happy with any of the other five. Gallucci, Taranto and Scrimshaw I'd be particularly happy with

I honestly can't see anyway McGrath lasts to pick 16...he is probably the most complete footballer in this draft and if he was 6 or 8 cms taller I suspect he'd go very close to 1st pick.

IMO Hugh McCluggage will turn out to be the pick of this year's crop over the next decade or so unless injury intervenes, possesses a truly amazing skill set.

I honestly can't see anyway McGrath lasts to pick 16...he is probably the most complete footballer in this draft and if he was 6 or 8 cms taller I suspect he'd go very close to 1st pick.

IMO Hugh McCluggage will turn out to be the pick of this year's crop over the next decade or so unless injury intervenes, possesses a truly amazing skill set.
McCluggage is amazing, so silky. Him and Venables will be the two that I can guarantee will be good right now out of this crop.

Really did want to put McGrath up further, but I just have the feeling at this stage he slides due to height. Reckon my inkling will change soon, though, he really does have AFL qualities

Will they be, though?

Really well done other than sharenberg who is way too early and McGrath who will go top 10 if not higher

You make me think we may get a very good one

McCluggage is amazing, so silky. Him and Venables will be the two that I can guarantee will be good right now out of this crop.

Really did want to put McGrath up further, but I just have the feeling at this stage he slides due to height. Reckon my inkling will change soon, though, he really does have AFL qualities
McCluggage and Brodie go head to head this weekend for their TAC teams and Scrimshaw suits up for his debut TAC Cup game for the Sandy Dragons.....all eyes will be on them.

As a side note SA look like winning the U16 Championships with a 3 - 0 result.
Edit : they have won it.
http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/3553/

Last edited:
Really well done other than sharenberg who is way too early and McGrath who will go top 10 if not higher

You make me think we may get a very good one
Port need an inside mid, and it wouldn't surprise me to see them go with a South Aussie. I still rate Scharenberg inside the top 25 at this stage, and I reckon he has more upside than Graham from what I can tell, but on face value, yes pick 11 is probably going a bit early.

I have no doubt McGrath is a gun, I just think teams may be turned off by his height at this stage. Don't reckon he'll be in my double digits for long with more great performances, though

McCluggage and Brodie go head to head this weekend for their TAC teams and Scrimshaw suits up for his debut TAC Cup game for the Sandy Dragons.....all eyes will be on them.

As a side note SA look like winning the U16 Championships with a 3 - 0 result.
Edit : they have won it.
http://www.sanfl.com.au/news/sanfl_news/3553/
Can't wait for this, amazing athlete for a 193cm bloke. Great disposal and vision, too

Are they dramatically changed, or is it that the amatuer draft watchers/media only notice the late? Thus we only hear about them late.
There's a herd mentality in that most Phantom drafts replicate each other to a large degree, and then some have a different slant, just to be different

Then late as those with an ear to the clubs hear things .....watch all the Phantom orders change accordingly and again replicate each other

The names won't change much, but the order will ......and there's always the late bolter that has a great TAC final .....remember Steel Sidebottom IIRC kicked 8 goals in a TAC final to be BOG and didn't he rocket up the draft boards

Likewise James Sellar started his draft year the arguable #1 draft pick ......and by draft day, if Adelaide hadn't picked him, could have slid to the 20's

What amazes me is when i read draft profiles i see things that are a red flag .....but it doesn't seem to change their rating, and yet after being drafted they fail???
Then i read Tippet's profile .....strong mark, aggressive, new to the game ....and i'm saying why was he rated so low ? ......what did we get him at #32? ...amazing

Rule #1 ....have to be able to win your own ball
Rule #2 ....have to have good hands ...one grab, clean!
Rule #3 ....have to project 2-3 years out and see the development opportunities

On Scharenberg Brenton Phillips said this
“He’s your classic inside midfielder who works really hard both ways and finds plenty of the ball. A class act who is one of those unique footballers in that he doesn’t look like he’s working particularly hard but once you get his GPS data you realise he has.’’

On Graham he said this
“A tough inside midfielder who is a bit of a bull. He goes really hard and attacks the contest and the player with the ball with ferocity. When he wins the footy he is able to use it pretty well too.’’

We need an inside mid this draft.
For me I would want us to take either Scharenberg or Graham
What? ....because they're South Australian? .....or because they're the best inside mid available at our selection?

ATS who the hell knows the draft order of players ???

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with WW on pure outside players. Imo, even the best pure outsiders are worth a late first rounder at best. So many fail to impact at AFL level, think James Aish. I'd looks at good ones from the second round onwards, no higher.
Look at the pure outside players at GWS and GC currently .......many are in the reserves

What? ....because they're South Australian? .....or because they're the best inside mid available at our selection?

ATS who the hell knows the draft order of players ???
Its called an opinion, based on our need for mids, who may be there at our pick, that I have seen play alot.
If you dont like people giving their opinions, you should stop giving yours.

Its called an opinion, based on our need for mids, who may be there at our pick, that I have seen play alot.
If you dont like people giving their opinions, you should stop giving yours.
Why sensitive ......i didn't abuse you ....i was asking a question ????

Seen players rocket up the rankings after the TAC U18 Grand Final .......so many come from the clouds a month out from the Draft ......i am amazed considering clubs say they've tracked players since U16, that opinions ARE dramatically changed in the last month
I suspect that the clubs' rankings change little. It's just that more information gets out into the public domain about who they're talking to and who they're interested in.

I have no doubt that Doedee would have rocketed up the rankings if people knew that we'd been tracking him since he was 16. Adelaide are very good at keeping things quiet and all of the draft "experts" had him in the 40s and 50s as a result.

There's a herd mentality in that most Phantom drafts replicate each other to a large degree, and then some have a different slant, just to be different

Then late as those with an ear to the clubs hear things .....watch all the Phantom orders change accordingly and again replicate each other

The names won't change much, but the order will ......and there's always the late bolter that has a great TAC final .....remember Steel Sidebottom IIRC kicked 8 goals in a TAC final to be BOG and didn't he rocket up the draft boards

Likewise James Sellar started his draft year the arguable #1 draft pick ......and by draft day, if Adelaide hadn't picked him, could have slid to the 20's

What amazes me is when i read draft profiles i see things that are a red flag .....but it doesn't seem to change their rating, and yet after being drafted they fail???
Then i read Tippet's profile .....strong mark, aggressive, new to the game ....and i'm saying why was he rated so low ? ......what did we get him at #32? ...amazing

Rule #1 ....have to be able to win your own ball
Rule #2 ....have to have good hands ...one grab, clean!
Rule #3 ....have to project 2-3 years out and see the development opportunities
Have to agree with this , and it then becomes self perpetuating. I was reading about players cut from squads who were better than others who stayed in. We all of us know '' the guy who could have been a champ if only'' .

Sellars fate was decided by Facebook. Just like the NFL player Lenny Tunsil in the US. Others rocket because big game perfomances denote big game performers.

My 3 things I like

1. Competitive. Want the ball don't wait for it
2. Clean Hands
3. Desire to learn

Have to agree with this , and it then becomes self perpetuating. I was reading about players cut from squads who were better than others who stayed in. We all of us know '' the guy who could have been a champ if only'' .

Sellars fate was decided by Facebook. Just like the NFL player Lenny Tunsil in the US. Others rocket because big game perfomances denote big game performers.

My 3 things I like

1. Competitive. Want the ball don't wait for it
2. Clean Hands
3. Desire to learn

# 1 for me in today's game is kicking disposal, there is no bigger thing in the game ATM with the goal scoring of unforced errors

# 1 for me in today's game is kicking disposal, there is no bigger thing in the game ATM with the goal scoring of unforced errors
Agree. But unless its Butcher horrendous it can be corrected. Saying that Butchers field kicking is ok. Its his shots on goals that loals.

Kicking disposal , to me , is more about connecting the spotting of an opportunity - vision- and getting it to them cleanly and in time. Everybody could have close to 100% efficiency if all you are doing is chip kicking. But when you can see the game open up before you quickly enough to spot that 1 opportunity then that is special. Dangerfield , to use an example, looks as if he has this heat map in his head and he kicks to one of two spots based on where he is. He doesn't spend time spotting a player UNLESS he has a metre on his opponent. In packs he kicks to the spot directed by the coaches

180cm inside/outside midfielder with reasonably good pace and neat skills, loves a goal, played quite well in the U18 Championships. Definitely draftable IMO.

That kicking style doesn't seem tidy enough for the big league.

Not really sure what he offers that could get him drafted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back