Strategy 2016 Draft Needs

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Williamson...remember he only made this draft by a week or 2 or he'd be in next year's crop.....very young..
Reckon there's a shitload of development in young Williamson. Very outside and not hard at it at this stage, but some of the other tools are there.

Another one I'd love at 53 is Duman. Great overhead, good kicking, speedy, and TALL. Could turn into a very fine wingman.

Yeah this is what I'm feeling

53 is a bit more difficult though, if Jarman isn't bid on by then I reckon we'll take a more outside player, but who?
or a KP like a Mccarthy ...maybe Duman ? he'd be a good pick there as has potential but needs work on contested game. Ben Davis may be a show there too

outside players - have the SA lads whimpress (the new hendo?) and Noonan, Josh Williams who will likely be gone or matched. Yeah you are right i'm not too sure

Parfitt ?...surely too similar to Jarman

maybe just another of that bunch of mids including drew poholke begley ronke lipinski if therre are any left (sharenberg be gone by then)

Tom Williamson...remember he only made this draft by a week or 2 or he'd be in next year's crop.....very young..
bicks- i reckon he's the first local lad of yours that you're underating ;), personally think he will be snapped up late 2nd round for those reasons you mention

he'd be a great get at 53!!

or a KP like a Mccarthy ...maybe Duman ? he'd be a good pick there as has potential but needs work on contested game. Ben Davis may be a show there too

outside players - have the SA lads whimpress (the new hendo?) and Noonan, Josh Williams who will likely be gone or matched. Yeah you are right i'm not too sure

Parfitt ?...surely too similar to Jarman

maybe just another of that bunch of mids including drew poholke begley ronke lipinski if therre are any left (sharenberg be gone by then)
Parfitt I actually don't mind with 53. He's short, but he screams midfielder more than small forward to me. Hard working, agile, accumulates well, wins clearances.

McCarthy probably more of a show for a later pick, for mine (same with McLarty). See above on Duman. Don't want Whimpress, certainly screams Hendo to me and I don't think we need that at all, will find it very hard to put on muscle with his build. Noonan probably a shot more with a later pick. Don't think we'll want Williams.

Ronke would be a good get at 53. Maybe someone like Dundon/Junker/Guelfi?

Parfitt I actually don't mind with 53. He's short, but he screams midfielder more than small forward to me. Hard working, agile, accumulates well, wins clearances.

McCarthy probably more of a show for a later pick, for mine (same with McLarty). See above on Duman. Don't want Whimpress, certainly screams Hendo to me and I don't think we need that at all, will find it very hard to put on muscle with his build. Noonan probably a shot more with a later pick. Don't think we'll want Williams.

i'd take josh williams in a heartbeat at 53 but he will be matched or gone before then

he's worth a punt for that speed despite his faults

just thinking how many short blokes we have
betts, laird, knight *jars, *parfitt ...1 too many?

parfitt is certainly good enough at 53. Guelfi maybe , maybe more a late/rookie as well

bicks- i reckon he's the first local lad of yours that you're underating ;), personally think he will be snapped up late 2nd round for those reasons you mention

My bad I was thinking 43...

There is a gem to be had late IMO, Matthew Signorello, very pacey, elite overhead for his size, has both an inside and outside game, very hard at it, booming kick if a bit inconsistent at hitting up targets, decent tank and absolutely runs both ways. Of all the unheralded players I saw this year he's the one I really like...another unheralded player that caught my eye was ranga Mason Blakey who I've not even heard mentioned, hard as a cat's head.

i'd take josh williams in a heartbeat at 53 but he will be matched or gone before then

he's worth a punt for that speed despite his faults
Screams Seedsman, I reckon. Won't be seen as much of a need. Love his speed, though
just thinking how many short blokes we have
betts, laird, knight *jars, *parfitt ...1 too many?

parfitt is certainly good enough at 53. Guelfi maybe , maybe more a late/rookie as well
Wigg, too. Simply for his talent though, I reckon (if there) he's definitely an option for 53. Jars more a Betts replacement, Laird also would probably play a different position to Parfitt. Don't see it as too much of a problem.

Guelfi I have at 40. Endurance levels are low, but we can improve them. Tackles well, great clearance player, good overhead, good kick - what's not to like?

Screams Seedsman, I reckon. Won't be seen as much of a need. Love his speed, though

Wigg, too. Simply for his talent though, I reckon (if there) he's definitely an option for 53. Jars more a Betts replacement, Laird also would probably play a different position to Parfitt. Don't see it as too much of a problem.

Guelfi I have at 40. Endurance levels are low, but we can improve them. Tackles well, great clearance player, good overhead, good kick - what's not to like?
BEING 19 YO i'm just not that sure that guelfi is good enough there but he is a natural footballer and if he could improve his endurance then there is upside. He's not actually that tall though is he ? like 183cm? just not sure he has physical capability but could be famous last words where pure footballler shines through

yeah parfitt would be too good to let go at 53, maybe then we don't match jars and go for something else, its entirely possible that we decide not to match jars on the night due to circumstances although unlikely

My bad I was thinking 43...

There is a gem to be had late IMO, Matthew Signorello, very pacey, elite overhead for his size, has both an inside and outside game, very hard at it, booming kick if a bit inconsistent at hitting up targets, decent tank and absolutely runs both ways. Of all the unheralded players I saw this year he's the one I really like...another unheralded player that caught my eye was ranga Mason Blakey who I've not even heard mentioned, hard as a cat's head.

haven't seen those guys live bicks so will take your word, signorello sounds v interesting though ! height?

haven't seen those guys live bicks so will take your word, signorello sounds v interesting though ! height?

https://afl*******************/player/matt-signorello/

NK-Matthew-Signorello-390x390_zpsldkzfgbp.jpg

MATT SIGNORELLO
https://afldraftcentral.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/NK-Matthew-Signorello-390x390.jpg

Matthew Signorello

Outside Medium Midfielder/Forward | Northern Knights/Vic Metro
30/10/98 | 184cm | 76kg
Player Comparison: Craig Bird

Snapshot:

Playing most of the season for Ivanhoe Grammar in the AGSV school competition, the Knights welcomed back Matthew Signorello at important stages throughout the year, bolstering the teams line-up. Signorello’s endurance and hard running on the wing allowed the Knights to transition the ball out of the defence.

Other than his gut running, Signorello has a great ability to get his hands on the footy and distribute it effectively to his teammates. He averaged 23 disposals in his eight games at TAC Cup level.

Statistics:

https://afldraftcentral.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2016/09/M-Signorello.png

Strengths

• Gut Running
  • Acceleration
  • Marking
  • Tackling pressure
Signorello’s ability to not stop running helps him fit into the wing position as he is able to spread quickly and also be an option for an option for his teammates to give the ball to. This running ability also allows him to chase down opponents.

This is also a strength when he goes into the forward line as he is able to apply a lot of pressure of on opposition forcing them to turn the ball over. This could become very handy trait to have for an AFL team.

In addition to his endurance and pressure around the footy, the Ivanhoe Grammarian is one of the best marks on the Knights team, averaging 4.8 marks in his eight games of TAC Cup footy. He could pose as a danger man at AFL level inside 50 as majority of his marks being contested.

Signorello’s greatest strength that would catch the eye of recruiters would be his ability to burst out of a contest. His acceleration from a pack is evident and once he is into a stride, it is hard to stop him.

There are very few things more exciting than a player bursting out of a centre clearance and slamming it on the boot from 55m out, which is a trait that Signorello can offer at times.

Often, the Knights midfielder is used a link man when played on the wing, and can help transition from the back line to forward line. He can also sit a kick behind play and be used to break the lines or a zone defence by finding a spot where he can penetrate through a couple of players and open the game up.

Overall, Signorello has a number of exciting qualities that give AFL clubs something to work with, so while raw, he has the X-factor that could be tapped into at AFL level.

Improvements

• Scoreboard impact
  • Disposal efficiency
  • Imbalance of kick-to-handball ratio
If Signorello does get drafted, he will most likely play on the half forward flank to begin his career, so his ability to get on the score board is crucial. In his eight games, Signorello average just under a goal a game.

While towards the back-end of the TAC Cup season Signorello played primarily on a wing and then floated forward, he would often take a great mark, but miss the set shot, letting himself down.

Signorello has enough overhead strength to beat most players one-on-one, but will have to make the most of his opportunities at AFL level when in front of goal.

The one thing that all draft picks say about the difference between TAC Cup and AFL is the pace of the game. In saying this Signorello will need to look to use the ball more by foot than he did at TAC Cup to ensure he does not put teammates under pressure with a wayward handball.

At some stages, Signorello can burst away from a pack and look a million dollars, before burning the kick inside 50 missing a target. This is one thing that he will need to look at improving if he gains a spot on an AFL list.

Signorello has a booming kick, but often does not use it to effect. He has one of the lowest kick-to-handball ratio’s in the TAC Cup and while it is not the be-all or end-all, it would be nice to be able to judge his kicking with more evidence at hand.

Summary:

Overall, Signorello is a genuine hard working footballer, who is a long term prospect and with some experience and a little improvement could be a solid contributor to an AFL club. A shoulder injury might see him touch and go regarding his testing at the state combine and at this stage could be a late pick or drafted in the rookie draft.

Last edited:
Yeah this is what I'm feeling

53 is a bit more difficult though, if Jarman isn't bid on by then I reckon we'll take a more outside player, but who?

I wouldn't be surprised if we look at KPP's at 53, if take mids with our first two picks.

I don't know enough about the draft to suggest many names but would Himmelberg still be available?

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I wouldn't be surprised if we look at KPP's at 53, if take miss with our first two picks.

I don't know enough about the draft to suggest many names but would Himmelberg still be available?
Yeah I reckon he would be. Would be fine with him at 53 as long as we take a mid with our last pick. Would prefer a KPD over a KPF, due to losing Ramsey and Shaw.

I wouldn't be surprised if we look at KPP's at 53, if take miss with our first two picks.

I think Himmelberg likely goes 2nd Round, be very surprised if he's still there at 53 given the dearth of talls in this draft, Mitch McCarthy maybe an option or a smoky like SA's Lewis Young 197cm 92 Kg or Mitch Carter perhaps.

Rebels have put up their Draft Preview on Tom Williamson just now with game footage and interview, along with Talent Manager Phil Partington and Coach Gerard Fitgerald's assessments of his future football in the AFL.

Okay so now that Jarman is definitely off the cards, what do we think our options are looking like at 43 and 53.

Do we take mids with 13 and 43 and then look at a KPP with 67?

Okay so now that Jarman is definitely off the cards, what do we think our options are looking like at 43 and 53.

Do we take mids with 13 and 43 and then look at a KPP with 53?

Pick a KPF that no one has heard of at 43 and then grab a mid at 53. Parfitt, Lipinski, Ronke or Dundon could fit this bill.

Do we take mids with 13 and 43 and then look at a KPP with 53?
Assuming Jarman is completely off the cards (i.e. Hawks select him)...

If we take all six picks to the draft, I'd want three inside mids, one KPD, one outside mid and one small forward/high half-forward. God knows who they'd be, though

Do we take mids with 13 and 43 and then look at a KPP with 67?
Where has this "Jarman off the cards" stuff come from? Hadn't heard anything like that until now...

Assuming Jarman is completely off the cards (i.e. Hawks select him)...

If we take all six picks to the draft, I'd want three inside mids, one KPD, one outside mid and one small forward/high half-forward. God knows who they'd be, though
I'm thinking one of your boy Stengle, Kym Lebois, Narkle, Jarmaine Jones, maybe even Jamie Hampton with a late pick. Parfitt maybe at 43??

Remove this Banner Ad

Back