List Mgmt. 2016 Draft, Trading and Free Agency Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just watched the video on the top draft picks: http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-07-21/the-nine-most-likely-the-race-for-no1
I get the impression that Tim English is going to be well & truly up there in the draft order, & if so, I would be surprised if Freo don't have him in their sights.

I've previously thought that Sam P-S would be our 1st priority, but starting to wonder. Has some injury risk (back & hammy issues) & we're already pretty well served in the creative midfielder department.

Looking at the pre-draft videos, English is an outstandingly good player for a ruckman - would think that the risk of him not developing into an accomplished senior player would be pretty low. At the very least, I reckon he could be a key defender for us.

Having said all that, would be very happy with any of McCluggage; Brodie; Petrevski-Seton or English. All look really good.

There is nothing whatsoever to froth over in that highlights package. Above average field kick for a ruckman. Acceptable mark. Bout it.

His ground level work is amazing for a kid that is 204cm. It would be like having an extra mid in the team.

I agree with one of these statements!

Are there any highlights packages outside of the championships? I agree that English showed a good highlights package in that game, but I'd like to see how we went against other ruckman. In that video they showed his hitouts to advantage (which looked good), but I don't remember him being a very dominant ruckman when I watched the game live. If they were the only good hitouts all game, then his ruckwork isn't a strength.

I couldn't find any. I've given English a pass on his rucking because it was only 2-3 years ago that he was 184cm, and playing as midfielder. He hasn't played through his junior years as a ruck, so he is still developing in that area. From what I've been hearing some recruiters think he could play CHB....a 204cm rebounding CHB.

****Disclaimer****

I think SPS will be a star as well, so we can draft either SPS or English and have a win.

Fail, Fail, Success, Forward>ruck, forward>ruck

1/5 not a big success rate, especially if English is picked as a pure ruck. Apeness and Wright definitely selected as forwards

He won't be a pure ruck in my opinion. He'll be a player of the Lobb variety, and some people in this thread were more than willing to give up pick 3 for Lobb.

I think SPS will be a star as well, so we can draft either SPS or English and have a win.
Hopefully old man Mayne can convince his mate Brayshaw to set Chris up for life with a big contract and we can pick up both back to back.

He won't be a pure ruck in my opinion. He'll be a player of the Lobb variety, and some people in this thread were more than willing to give up pick 3 for Lobb.

What are your thoughts of going after both, trade out next years first for GWS earliest first, or An early Gold Coast first, GWS and Gold Coast will be needing picks again next year for their scholarship players! I don't think we have the ability of getting Lobb or Hogan in next year, by then we will have a year into a developing tall!

What are your thoughts of going after both, trade out next years first for GWS earliest first, or An early Gold Coast first, GWS and Gold Coast will be needing picks again next year for their scholarship players! I don't think we have the ability of getting Lobb or Hogan in next year, by then we will have a year into a developing tall!

I have my reservations about trading out of next year's 1st round. However, doing it in order to secure two very talented WA boys wouldn't be a bad idea. Does GC need picks for next year? GWS will need the picks but would they do the trade? I'm not so sure we'll do it.

I agree, I don't think we'll get either Lobb or Hogan. Jack Martin on the other hand is a definite possibility.

I can see us getting pick 22 for Mayne. FA compensation depends a lot on how the team losing the player went that year, and fortunately for us we were s**t. Remember we got pick 20 for Palmer and he was terrible when he left too.

I can see us getting pick 22 for Mayne. FA compensation depends a lot on how the team losing the player went that year, and fortunately for us we were s**t. Remember we got pick 20 for Palmer and he was terrible when he left too.
The compensation is not dependant on hwo the team is going it is determined on the size of the contract in years and money, it also takes in to consideration the age of the player. in no way shap or form is it determined on how the team is travelling in reagrds to ladder position

The compensation is not dependant on hwo the team is going it is determined on the size of the contract in years and money, it also takes in to consideration the age of the player. in no way shap or form is it determined on how the team is travelling in reagrds to ladder position

Yes I know but if a team gets a pick after their second round pick as compensation, that pick is pick 20 if they came last, as opposed to pick 37 if they came first

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I know we're not going to get any compensation for it, but does anyone think anyone is going to pick up Tendai as a DFA? He's still an elite runner

Hopefully old man Mayne can convince his mate Brayshaw to set Chris up for life with a big contract and we can pick up both back to back.

Looking at the Roos list, I really don't think that is in the right age group. They are looking to rebuild or retool or whatever words that starts with re and Mayne will be 30 in three years.

Looking at the Roos list, I really don't think that is in the right age group. They are looking to rebuild or retool or whatever words that starts with re and Mayne will be 30 in three years.
I think they have very old guys and very inexperienced young guys, so he slots right in the middle of them with a four year deal.

I'm not convinced they think they are done yet either.

I think they have very old guys and very inexperienced young guys, so he slots right in the middle of them with a four year deal.

North trading board seems to think the Mayne signing with them is now a formality. The anger at their football department is growing by the minute.

Last edited:

No Name Games Age Date of Birth Height Weight Origin Position
29 Harvey, Brent 430 38yr 3mth 14 May 1978 167cm 75kg Northern Knights Forward
20 Petrie, Drew 314 33yr 10mth 15 Oct 1982 197cm 101kg North Ballarat Rebels Forward
30 Waite, Jarrad 221 33yr 6mth 4 Feb 1983 194cm 93kg Murray Bushrangers Forward
11 Firrito, Michael 273 32yr 8mth 27 Nov 1983 189cm 93kg Eastern Ranges Defender
15 Dal Santo, Nick 320 32yr 6mth 22 Feb 1984 185cm 85kg Bendigo Pioneers Midfield
8 Wells, Daniel 241 31yr 6mth 3 Feb 1985 181cm 79kg Peel Thunder Midfield
Forward
44 Ray, Farren (R) 209 30yr 5mth 23 Mar 1986 187cm 84kg Peel Thunder Midfield
16 Thompson, Scott 179 30yr 3mth 9 May 1986 193cm 93kg Geelong Defender
43 Gibson, Sam 106 30yr 2mth 27 May 1986 185cm 83kg Oakleigh Chargers Midfield
9 Swallow, Andrew 206 29yr 2mth 2 Jun 1987 182cm 80kg East Fremantle Midfield
28 Nahas, Robin (R) 117 28yr 9mth 10 Nov 1987 176cm 73kg Oakleigh Chargers Forward
12 Thomas, Lindsay 194 28yr 5mth 29 Feb 1988 180cm 79kg Port Adelaide Forward
4 Higgins, Shaun 160 28yr 5mth 4 Mar 1988 184cm 89kg Geelong Falcons Forward
22 Goldstein, Todd 169 28yr 1mth 1 Jul 1988 201cm 103kg Oakleigh Ruck
6 Hansen, Lachlan 136 28yr 17 Aug 1988 197cm 98kg Gippsland Defender
36 Tippett, Joel 9 27yr 9mth 26 Oct 1988 197cm 91kg West Adelaide Defender
25 Tarrant, Robbie 82 27yr 4mth 25 Apr 1989 196cm 97kg Bendigo Pioneers Defender

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back