2016 Footy Show

Remove this Banner Ad

The tone of the show is not serious but a host who is not conversant with the subject matter would still stick out like a sore thumb.

And, once again, she's a journalist. Why have a journalist at all if they don't have some genuine insight and understanding?

So you have a journalist hosting but it's not important whether they understand the subject matter?

That's a very low bar.

If that's the case, why bring in a journalist? What's the point of Maddern if she's not actually expected to know anything about football?

Is she just there to be female? Isn't that the very definition of tokenism?

So you could just grab a Getaway host or a weather girl and they could do the job just as effectively, with no question about whether they know anything about football? That's where you end up if her experience as a journalist is neither here nor there.

Setting aside the fact Nine are bending over backwards to emphasise that she 'really knows her footy', this seems like the soft bigotry of low expectations. She's a woman so there is apparently no minimum standard at all expected of her in terms of actually knowing about football. Is that what you're saying? Surely that's its own kind of sexism.
Footy isn't that complicated, most regular bf posters have more than enough knowledge to be able to hold down a gig on the footy show. It's the presenting bit thats hard. If knowledge and involvement with footy is the 'high bar' that she cannot get it over, have the players run the show. Cloke as presenter, have Dangerfield do her role, ratings smash for sure.

Once again, the bar is set low for her on footy knowledge not because she is a women, but because it is naturally a ******* low bar. The hard bit, the bit that will sink the show if they do not get it right, is making it interesting, entertaining, watchable. That's the high bar.

You want knowledge. Make the show Gerard Whately reading passages from the footy almanac.

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

Footy isn't that complicated, most regular bf posters have more than enough knowledge to be able to hold down a gig on the footy show.
Doubt it. But if that's the case, why hire a journalist to host?

It's the presenting bit thats hard. If knowledge and involvement with footy is the 'high bar' that she cannot get it over, have the players run the show.
Clearly you need a mixture of both.

Once again, the bar is set low for her on footy knowledge not because she is a women, but because it is naturally a ******* low bar.
Again, if genuine understanding of the subject matter is so unnecessary for a host, why hire a journalist? Why is Nine at pains to emphasise that she really 'knows her footy'?

You want knowledge. Make the show Gerard Whately reading passages from the footy almanac.
Just so we're clear, do you think it is totally unnecessary for her to know anything about football?

Nine are bending over backwards to emphasise that she really knows her footy because of the criticism. The thing is, they new exactly what the criticism was going to be the very first time they considered hiring a women.

Doesn't know her stuff.
Tokenism
Don't like her voice
Just political correctness
Annoying
Etc. Etc

Which woman, and how the show went with her are almost totally irrelevant to that discussion.

Doubt it. But if that's the case, why hire a journalist to host?

Clearly you need a mixture of both.

Again, if genuine understanding of the subject matter is so unnecessary for a host, why hire a journalist? Why is Nine at pains to emphasise that she really 'knows her footy'?

Just so we're clear, do you think it is totally unnecessary for her to know anything about football?
It is clearly the case she knows quite a lot about footy. It is your contention it isn't enough, based on what? I do not mean that to be rude, but I suspect your biggest piece of evidence her knowledge is inadequate is her ****.

Nine are bending over backwards to emphasise that she really knows her footy because of the criticism.
They were saying that before anyone criticised anything. Her experience as a journalist has been integral to the promotion of her in the role from the word go.

The thing is, they new exactly what the criticism was going to be the very first time they considered hiring a women.
I'm not sure that works as a justification when you're simultaneously arguing that she doesn't need to know anything.

Doesn't know her stuff.
Tokenism
Don't like her voice
Just political correctness
Annoying
Etc. Etc
I think it's totally reasonable to ask whether she has a grasp on the subject matter. She might. But if she does, then demonstrate it. That would be my standard for anyone in her role, male or female. But when you insist that doesn't matter at all, it casts her instead as a potted plant whose only job is to be female, thereby supporting the charge of tokenism.

It is clearly the case she knows quite a lot about footy.
How is that 'clearly the case'?

It is your contention it isn't enough, based on what?
It's my contention that it's yet to be demonstrated.

I do not mean that to be rude, but I suspect your biggest piece of evidence her knowledge is inadequate is her ****.
Nonsense.

My standard is the same regardless of gender. A journalist in her role - male or female - should be able to demonstrate a firm grasp of the subject matter. Otherwise what's the point of having a journalist?

Should the bar be lower because she's a woman? That's its own kind of sexism.

And if she's just there to be female, then that's the definition of tokenism.

I'm in no hurry whatsoever to defend Brayshaw. But I'd suggest that even before becoming North's president, Brayshaw was a bit more rooted in the world of AFL (and sports media generally) than Maddern has been. Don't get me wrong, Brayshaw has been lucky.

All I want is for Maddern to demonstrate that she has a genuine handle on the subject matter. That would be the standard for any journalist in her role.

I certainly don't think she should be disqualified for never having played the game. I don't see it that way at all. But if you're going to bring in a journalist, they need to bring some genuine insight. Otherwise, why have a journalist?

JB made his own luck.

He was a nobody in Melbourne until he got a gig on MMM and with a very funny team around him became one of the best radio breakfast crews atm. This was the early 2000's and he quickly established himself by the time the Comm Games came about. Rest is history.

JB made his own luck.
Spare me.

He was a nobody in Melbourne until he got a gig on MMM and with a very funny team around him became one of the best radio breakfast crews atm. This was the early 2000's and he quickly established himself by the time the Comm Games came about. Rest is history.
Good grief.

Maybe they'll build a statue of him one day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

JB. The hero. Ugh.
It happens alll the tiimmme, ohhh yeah. It gets into yer mind. Ohhh yeahhhh. A voice keeps tellin YOU. Ohhh yeahhhh. That only Hungry Jacks will do. Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah.

And I think they should replace JB with Tim Gossage. And shouldn't you be off somewhere making the 'W' sign with your hands or something?

It happens alll the tiimmme, ohhh yeah. It gets into yer mind. Ohhh yeahhhh. A voice keeps tellin YOU. Ohhh yeahhhh. That only Hungry Jacks will do. Oh yeah, oh yeah, oh yeah.

And I think they should replace JB with Tim Gossage. And shouldn't you be off somewhere making the 'W' sign with your hands or something?
Is this a Perth thing?

I'm sure this is inspired but it's lost on me. Sorry.

Not before. Not since.

But he could have shat out gold and I'd still be nauseated by your fawning over him.

You should come and visit sometime and have a look at what he did to save the Club, because we were 3/4 packed up to Surfers Shitadise with the Arse Clowns that were running the Club at that time.

Actually, off topic, its surprising that such facilities in the 90's got us to be the team of the 90's. Well sheesh, Adam Simpson and Brady Rawlings came out of that shitful environment. You would know them, they took you to that nauseating excuse of a Grand Final last year?

But anyway, we can only hope now that JB saved the Club, got us a great set of training facilities and a base in MELBOURNE, that we can turn that performance into on ground ultimate success.

Actually, off topic, its surprising that such facilities in the 90's got us to be the team of the 90's.
Sure, if you ignore the first three years of the decade. But that's fine. Give yourself a high five.

Well sheesh, Adam Simpson and Brady Rawlings came out of that shitful environment. You would know them, they took you to that nauseating excuse of a Grand Final last year?
Remind me how North's season ended.

But anyway, we can only hope now that JB saved the Club, got us a great set of training facilities and a base in MELBOURNE, that we can turn that performance into on ground ultimate success.
Yay!

Broken wings mend in time. One day the Eagles will fly again. IUB promise. :straining:

And I think they should replace JB with Tim Gossage
not sure if serious but i ******* love Tim Gossage. he's by far my favourite person in AFL media.
i'd definitely watch if he co-hosted with Maddern

...please dont think less of me :$

Sure, if you ignore the first three years of the decade. But that's fine. Give yourself a high five.

Remind me how North's season ended.

Yay!

I don't have to give myself a high five. We were the team of the 90's, that's common knowledge.

Hmmm, well I will take a Prelim Loss in Perth as opposed to sitting around watching us fall like a house of cards on the only day when the whole of Australia is watching.

But it begs the real question, why do you hate James Brayshaw that much?

what exactly is the subject matter? how to behave like a buffoon in an environment very loosely related to football?
none of the other panel members demonstrate an understanding of the "subject matter" so why should she be held to a different standard.
serious football knowledge and discussion is almost irrelevant on that show...if thats the sort of thing you're looking for then watch Marngrook

Come on now, that was fairly high brow stuff last night with Trav singing in the car. Both clips deserve a Phd thesis. :rolleyes:

I don't have to give myself a high five. We were the team of the 90's, that's common knowledge.
Yeah, you guys were good from 1993 onwards.

You should chase up that trophy for being 1993-1999 champions if it hasn't arrived yet.

Hmmm, well I will take a Prelim Loss in Perth as opposed to sitting around watching us fall like a house of cards on the only day when the whole of Australia is watching.
Winning a PF is better than losing one. Do you disagree?

Give me a GF berth with no guarantees over a PF loss any day.

But it begs the real question, why do you hate James Brayshaw that much?
Hate is too strong a word. But I'd say it's the rich mix of intense banality and confected enthusiasm that irritates me.

He's the commentary equivalent of ads for banks where they pretend they're part of your family.

Yeah, you guys were good from 1993 onwards.

You should chase up that trophy for being 1993-1999 champions if it hasn't arrived yet.

Winning a PF is better than losing one. Do you disagree?

Give me a GF berth with no guarantees over a PF loss any day.

Hate is too strong a word. But I'd say it's the rich mix of intense banality and confected enthusiasm that irritates me.

He's the commentary equivalent of ads for banks where they pretend they're part of your family.

Ok.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back