List Mgmt. 2016 Hypothetical draft, trade and free agency thread

what to do with Pick 10?

• continue trying to trade with GCS for JOM?

Votes: 26 66.7%
  • draft a youngster

Votes: 7 17.9%
  • Rockliff

Votes: 4 10.3%
  • Hartlett

Votes: 2 5.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
There seems to be a few Hawk fans with this attitude. "You lost me at Shiels" or "I stopped reading when you mentioned Birchall" or whatever.

Hopefully the recruiting team at Hawthorn have more vision and balls that some of the fans.

We need to regenerate the list, particularly the midfield. JOM has already nominated us, T Mitchell is allegedly available. Fringe players and draft picks will not get us everything we need.
Some hard decisions have to be made.

Many of us, including me, were outraged when we traded Trent Croad. That worked out pretty well.
The club is bigger than any individual, and we hope that stays true. Otherwise we become like St Kilda...

So we can hang on to all our personal favorites and slide down the ladder, or we can make a tough call, maybe even an unpopular call, and stay in contention.

Sentiment is great, but personally I think winning flags is even better.
Getting rid of a 26Yr gun midfielder is how we achieve that.

And Shiels definitely won't help us do that!! If it came down to choose one or the other than i'd prefer Shiels over T.Mitchell. Anyone in our leadership group is safe from trading imo.
The reason people don't want to trade them out is because we are a flag contention still. A group like Mitchell, Hodge, Lewis, Roughead, Burgers, Gibbo only come around once in a generation along with Cyril, Frawley. We got a big chance next year. 3x 1st rounders + fringe players/picks should get us JOM and T.Mitchell.

I don't want to push players out against their will. If they want to move, we can use that.

Brad Hill is a best 22, so that's one we can use.

Then there are fringe players who may be rated by other clubs...e.g. TOB

Then there are picks, this year and next.

If we play it properly Hill may be the only definitive best 22 we need to lose.

I hope you're right and I also would not want to trade players against their will... although we did with Croad.
It just annoys me when people offer a hypothetical suggestion and others refuse to even read it because one of their favorites was mentioned in a trade.
These people wouldn't enjoy being a fly on the wall at real meetings.

As I said, sentiment is great but winning flags is even better.

Surely our first round pick is enough for Tom Mitchell.

Then what comes back for Hill to West Coast (pick 15ish) and Brand (pick 18ish) to one of the Adelaide Clubs (since he is obviously on the move) plus our second round pick is enough for JOM.

???
Keep Brand, Gibson is nearing the end and i've liked Brand's work this year.

O'Meara trade will probably involve a third party. Port is most likely but until hartlett nominates a team who knows.

If he were:
GCS: Hartlett, Sicily and howe
Port: Hawks 2016 first
Hawks: O'Meara

Swans: hawks 2017 first and 2016 second
Hawks: Mitchell and 2016 second

Vickery shouldn't be matched.

One surprise trade.

Only if bruest wanted out:
GWS: Bruest and swans 2016 second
Hawks: 8, 17 (i think could be 16 now) and James Stewart

O'Meara trade will probably involve a third party. Port is most likely but until hartlett nominates a team who knows.

If he were:
GCS: Hartlett, Sicily and howe
Port: Hawks 2016 first
Hawks: O'Meara

Swans: hawks 2017 first and 2016 second
Hawks: Mitchell and 2016 second

Vickery shouldn't be matched.

One surprise trade.

Only if bruest wanted out:
GWS: Bruest and swans 2016 second
Hawks: 8, 17 (i think could be 16 now) and James Stewart

Not bad (apart from any breust talk).

Plus we get any hill compo to keep then

Not bad (apart from any breust talk).

Plus we get any hill compo to keep then
Hill will be interesting. freo has a lot of work to do in the trade period and i don't know if there is any player i would really take from their list.
plus i believe the trade period will be slow until the O'Meara trade is done

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Given GWS don't seem to have a back up for Stevie J is a real likelihood that they will go out looking for a small forward. There's history with them chasing Breust in the past so they may come knocking again. I should make it clear that I'd prefer to have Breust wearing the Brown and Gold for many years to come but I suspect this scenario will come to fruition.

So if GWS want Breust they'd need to give a player as cap space is currently a problem for them. Who would be an equal value trade option. There was rumours, albeit weak that Patton was one we were interested in, Lobb is clearly going to be a star, and GWS have some serious midfield talent we could chase.

If Breust gets an offer that is enough to lure him, who would we be happy to exchange him for?

Given GWS don't seem to have a back up for Stevie J is a real likelihood that they will go out looking for a small forward. There's history with them chasing Breust in the past so they may come knocking again. I should make it clear that I'd prefer to have Breust wearing the Brown and Gold for many years to come but I suspect this scenario will come to fruition.

So if GWS want Breust they'd need to give a player as cap space is currently a problem for them. Who would be an equal value trade option. There was rumours, albeit weak that Patton was one we were interested in, Lobb is clearly going to be a star, and GWS have some serious midfield talent we could chase.

If Breust gets an offer that is enough to lure him, who would we be happy to exchange him for?
If Lobb was on the table then deal done.

if we couldn't get deals done we would need picks such as 8 and 16.
but if we already have the deals done someone like shiel wouldn't be bad....even add in zac williams

Who likes Tom Lamb?

If we are to loose Gus is a possible straight swap on the cards?

Would he be worth our 4th Rd?

I would look at him as a midfield prospect with a role similar to Burton or Gunston when he isn't on ball

There seems to be a few Hawk fans with this attitude. "You lost me at Shiels" or "I stopped reading when you mentioned Birchall" or whatever.

Hopefully the recruiting team at Hawthorn have more vision and balls that some of the fans.

We need to regenerate the list, particularly the midfield. JOM has already nominated us, T Mitchell is allegedly available. Fringe players and draft picks will not get us everything we need.
Some hard decisions have to be made.

Many of us, including me, were outraged when we traded Trent Croad. That worked out pretty well.
The club is bigger than any individual, and we hope that stays true. Otherwise we become like St Kilda...

So we can hang on to all our personal favorites and slide down the ladder, or we can make a tough call, maybe even an unpopular call, and stay in contention.

Sentiment is great, but personally I think winning flags is even better.
You're kidding yourself if you think getting rid of shiels to get JOM/Mitchell will make us a better side. Shiels is our current best younger midfielder. Our midfield functions better when he's part of it.

Not saying we don't need to give up a best 22 player, but Shiels won't be part of any trade.

Hopefully the recruiting team have better hindsight than trading out integral players just for the sake of it even though we have better trade options up our sleeve.

Who likes Tom Lamb?

I would look at him as a midfield prospect with a role similar to Burton or Gunston when he isn't on ball
If Gus goes I'd prefer us take a shot at a DFA. Seb Tape

Who likes Tom Lamb?

No one really seems to rate his attitude or endeavour. I haven't seen him play so my opinion of his talent is non existent, but I don't have much time for lazy players.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back