MRP / Trib. 2016 MRP/ Carlton Tribunal News & Reports (aka Chook lotto)

Remove this Banner Ad

Disagree, J.

It wasn't 'I'm going for the ball but if I miss, my opponent won't have it easy' .... but rather '100% I won't get this, but I'll keep on moving and make my opponent sore for a couple of days'...

By no means the worst thing to happen on the footy field, but you gotta discourage late, aggressive contact borne out of frustration.

I can only think if it was a Carlton player on the receiving end, I'd be screaming 'You dirty b@sta@rd! He wasn't in the ****ing contest, he wasn't going for the ball!' etc
But they did, they gave him a 50m penalty. It wasn't high, Robinson wasn't injured etc etc. It really just seems another way of making money to me.

But they did, they gave him a 50m penalty. It wasn't high, Robinson wasn't injured etc etc. It really just seems another way of making money to me.
Agreed. It was really just a late bump, albeit a hard one. The deterrent should be on-field as a free and/or 50m penalty.
It wasn't high contact and didn't cause injury (Robbo originally held his shin, where no contact was made, was able to get up and take his 50m penalty and played the rest of the game out as one of their best).

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2016-06-13/mrp-lincoln-mccarthy-cleared-taylor-walker-fined-for-striking

Another fine for Levi.
If he is found guilty of another low-level offence, automatic one match suspension.

CARLTON forward Levi Casboult is on his last chance with the Match Review Panel after being charged with rough conduct for the season straight week.

Casboult has been offered a $1500 fine for engaging in rough conduct on St Kilda defender Shane Savage in the first quarter of Sunday's clash at Etihad Stadium.
It follows a rough conduct charge in round 11 for a blow to the body of Brisbane Lions' midfielder Mitch Robinson, drawing a $1000 fine.

So tunneling is acceptable now! :thumbsdown:

St Kilda defender Jimmy Webster was also cleared by the MRP after charging into a pack and making forceful contact to Carlton's Jed Lamb.

The MRP said Webster mistimed his approached and made contact to both Lamb and Patrick Cripps, but he had his eyes on the ball at all times.

Levi needs to be careful for the rest of the season.
Like his attack on the footy, but that is where it needs to end. Two fines in two weeks is not good for anyone.
No. The last thing we want from him now is to second guess himself. I'm happy for him to wear a week for something similar, provided he continues his current form/trajectory for the rest of the season.

No. The last thing we want from him now is to second guess himself. I'm happy for him to wear a week for something similar, provided he continues his current form/trajectory for the rest of the season.

The one against Robinson was a brain fade. Got frustrated that he didn't get a free kick when Robbo crashed into his back. He needs to turn this aggression from the man to the ball.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

From my point of view... that it clearly tunnelling... he never left the ground and never even looked up at the ball. He was always going to hit the guy(s) going for the mark low on their bodies.

Should be worthy of at least a week. As I commented to the AFL twitter account, what would have happened if Cripps or Lamb had suffered serious injury. Would it still be ok?

Never got a response.

Was he in a position to mark the ball at any stage? If the answer is no, then he gets a suspension because what he did is dangerous.

IMHO there is no chance he marks the ball even if both Carlton players missed it completely. Therefore his attack on the contest was purely to cause damage, not an attempt to get the ball.

Yep tunneling!

I don't like violence on the footy field, and I certainly don't condone it. But if that happened at local level, I can assure you they would come from everywhere and it would get ugly, very quickly...
It's about intent for me. What was he trying to do? Certainly not compete for the footy.

Bad act, deserved a week minimum...

Remove this Banner Ad

Back