Autopsy 2016 National Draft (NM Picks: 11; 32; 33; 80)

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.standard.net.au/story/4054906/cedric-flies-into-afl-draft-calculations/?cs=73

AFL clubs interested in Camperdown and North Ballarat Rebels footballer Cedric Cox

r0_44_4928_3023_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

FLYING HIGH: Camperdown footballer Cedric Cox has caught AFL scouts' attention since joining North Ballarat Rebels. Picture: Kate Healy, The Courier

CEDRIC Cox is ready to tick off another challenge after earning a call-up to the AFL combine.

That’s the assessment from Camperdown coach Phil Carse who has watched the Western Australian teenager blossom into a potential draftee in the space of seven months.

Cox arrived at Leura Oval as an impressive but raw half-back flanker and quickly made his mark at Hampden senior and interleague levels before earning a call-up to TAC Cup club North Ballarat Rebels six weeks ago.

His latest accolade – one of 100 players from across Australia invited to the October testing camp –has come as no surprise to Carse.

At least five AFL clubs must have registered interest in a player for them to earn an invite to the Melbourne-based combine.

“He keeps stepping up a level and performing at each level,” Carse said.

“We are over the moon for Cedric. It’s been really well publicised this year the huge leap of faith for him to take from Halls Creek to try and better his footy and we are proud of him. He’s a naturally gifted athletic with speed and agility but he’s also very raw. There’s huge upside to him.”

Carse worked for the Brisbane Lions Academy before moving south two years ago.

He said it was important Cox, and fellow Hampden league invitees Willem Drew, Sean Darcy and Hugh McCluggage, concentrated on their on-field performance before turning their attention to the cap after the season.

“They’re 17, 18 year olds who finish a full football season and then do a mini pre-season for the draft camp, so it’s a big ask,” he said.

“But the ones who are hungry and want a chance at AFL level have a commitment to make.

“I think Cedric has as much raw ability as anyone I have seen. The challenge is to do it in a disciplined environment but I am backing him into do it.”

North Ballarat Rebels talent manager Phil Partington said Cox was an intriguing prospect for AFL recruiters, having only entered the elite pathway program as an over-age prospect.

“They want to see what he can do physically, that’s part of the reason why he’s going to the national combine, and he’s also played some good football and shown AFL recruiters he’s got some talent,” he said.

Partington said Cox was willing to learn and embrace new challenges.

“I certainly like his running capacity, use of the ball and he puts other people in better positions,” he said.

“He’s a very competitive young man as well. He loves the second efforts and tackling side and he seeks a lot of feedback from coaches.

“Camperdown footy club should be proud too of how the boy is playing.”
Will go to Hawks with pick 18. Another Isaac Smith story. Plays like a junior wells

How many years ago kotr? Did you know Paul Broderick. I used to work with him. Top fella.
More than I'd care to admit... Around 40! I was born in the area but grew up, mainly, in the Melb western suburbs. Essendon in fact (SB22, you can feel sorry for me for that!).
Still have a lot of family that way. Chris Heffernan is a cousin. He used to play for Brisbane and Essendon.
So no. Don't know Paul TT. I do like to go back to the area though.
I'd love it if we drafted this fellow too. Great story and the type of player we need.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If we end up with AA couple of picks inside the top 30 we could really cream this draft. So much even midfield talent which is exactly what we need

I just want someone that can burst out of the middle and either hit someone on the chest or boot a 50 metre Goal, after burning off his opponent

If we end up with AA couple of picks inside the top 30 we could really cream this draft. So much even midfield talent which is exactly what we need
What do you think Black and Hansen would be able to bring? I don't think they're worth anything as a straight swap but it would be pretty decent value in this draft if we could use them to upgrade our 3rd and/or 4th into the second round.

What do you think Black and Hansen would be able to bring? I don't think they're worth anything as a straight swap but it would be pretty decent value in this draft if we could use them to upgrade our 3rd and/or 4th into the second round.
If * lose Hurley would they be desperate enough to give their 2nd rounder up for Hansen

Remove this Banner Ad

Back