Marns

Back from the dead
Sep 14, 2004
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Pittsburgh Penguins
Only 11 days away, the focus for non-Pens fans shifts to the NHL Entry Draft (June 24-25). There's almost no doubt that Toronto takes Auston Matthews at #1, but there are many talented youngsters vying to find a home and one day lift Lord Stanley's mug.

Who gets taken in the top five? Who goes in the first round? Which players see their stocks rise and fall? How often will we hear Bettman booed before saying "I have a trade to announce"?

Lots to answer. Discuss it all here.

I think Patrick Laine did his stock no harm during the WC's. He may have even elevated himself up alongside Matthews. I don't think he is a lock for number one anymore. Is going to be a close call I reckon.

Can he play centre?

There is no chance in hell Toronto pass on a franchise centre.

When was the last time Toronto did something logical? When they traded Kessel? Worked out well.......for The Phil.

They've been quite sound since Shanahan came into town.
Brendan, Old Lou, Hunter and Dubas aren't messing this one up.
Pick the number one center every time.

The Kessel trade was a win for both clubs.

I'd be keen to see what the Yotes would be willing to give up in that case. I agree with PG though. Those sorts of deals are not made by analytically-inclined managers. Any GM would be stoked to get Laine at #2.

Having said that, when analytics goes the way of the dinosaur and Chayka is replaced as GM by Glenn Healy, expect Matthews to be traded home in exchange for OEL, Laine and a few firsts.

When was the last time Toronto did something logical? When they traded Kessel? Worked out well.......for The Phil.
Selected Marner, traded Kessel, traded Spalling and Polak, traded Reimer, traded Phaneuf.. and won the lottery. Sounds pretty good to me for a team that had no chance of playoffs anyway. They also signed Reilly and Kadri to reasonable extensions. The only questionable one is Bernier, although he showed signs of improvement at times.

A lot of mock drafts have the Habs getting Alexander Nylander at nine.
Could make for a good rivalry with his brother and the Leafs, hasn't really been one since '67.
I'd love to see that. There won't be a Battle of Ontario for a long time, so may as well help the Habs-Buds one. Although one of my Habs mates would flip a lid if you guys picked another Quebecer, so I'm also cool with that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Amazing to think we've traded both Saad and Teravainen in less than a year.

Completely OK with the Bickell-TT trade. Not sure TT was projecting as the player we were wanting him to become + could've lost him to the expansion draft as well. We don't retain on the Bickell contract, meaning we have money for Shaw and maybe someone like a Campbell.

You could build a competitive side with our cup causalities :D

Not sure there's much to be positive about with that Hawks trade. You gave away a promising kid to give away a dud.

Havint said that I'd trust stan. He knows what he's doing.

Selected Marner, traded Kessel, traded Spalling and Polak, traded Reimer, traded Phaneuf.. and won the lottery. Sounds pretty good to me for a team that had no chance of playoffs anyway. They also signed Reilly and Kadri to reasonable extensions. The only questionable one is Bernier, although he showed signs of improvement at times.

317be420-3126-11e6-be6c-af6689c22a3b_GettyImages-539768304.jpg

You forgot hired Lou and Babcock

What has that got to do with it?

You complimented them trading Kessel.

Evidently, I think it was unwise to trade him for what turned out to be pick 30 (was always going to be 20+ with the Pens) and a couple of unproven kids that weren't super high draft picks.

Oh, and thanks for paying 15% of his salary Toronto...

You can argue it was a good decision to trade him but they got robbed in that deal. Could have gotten way more.

I like Yandle to Panthers if they sign him. Would be a good fit.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back