2016 Non Crows AFL Discussion thread Part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get that, but this is the first time that any draft penalty has been defined in terms of a point value (as opposed to a first/second rounder etc).

1000 points = 1 late 1st rounder or 2x 3rds and a 4th based on the AFL draft valuation table. I'm pretty sure that GWS has obtained enough future picks next year that any later picks can be given up as a penalty without any real effect on their drafting strategy.
Hate this type of stuff ....again treating the AFL supporter with disdain

I get that, but this is the first time that any draft penalty has been defined in terms of a point value (as opposed to a first/second rounder etc).

1000 points = 1 late 1st rounder or 2x 3rds and a 4th based on the AFL draft valuation table.

I used an example on the MB thread (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/gws-punishment-for-whitfield.1155073/page-2#post-48213978): Pick 41, 42 and 56 = 412 + 395 + 194 = 1001 points

In 2017 GWS already has 2 future 2nd rounders. If they trade a player for a 3rd, and bundle it with their 3rd and 4th picks to match the penalty, that still leaves them with 4 draft picks (first rounder and 3 seconds) and with little impact on their draft strategy. Essentially their penalty is to give up picks they probably wouldn't even have used in the first place.

Out of curiosity - what would have the Tippett sanctions added up to in draft points?

Out of curiosity - what would have the Tippett sanctions added up to in draft points?

Oooh good question.

Pick 20 = 912
Pick 53 = 233
Pick 8 = 1,551
Pick 30 = 629

Total = 3,325

1000 points = 1 late 1st rounder or 2x 3rds and a 4th based on the AFL draft valuation table.

I used an example on the MB thread (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/gws-punishment-for-whitfield.1155073/page-2#post-48213978): Pick 41, 42 and 56 = 412 + 395 + 194 = 1001 points

In 2017 GWS already has 2 future 2nd rounders. If they trade a player for a 3rd, and bundle it with their 3rd and 4th picks to match the penalty, that still leaves them with 4 draft picks (first rounder and 3 seconds) and with little impact on their draft strategy. Essentially their penalty is to give up picks they probably wouldn't even have used in the first place.

I would assume the AFL will subtract 1000 points from their first pick downwards; surely they won't subtract it from their later picks

Weak. Can't say I'm surprised
The AFL are effectively fining themselves, so the fine is pointless.

Should have doubled the draft penalty or make them spend $100K less on their football department.

I would assume the AFL will subtract 1000 points from their first pick downwards; surely they won't subtract it from their later picks
I bet you that they'll allow GWS to bundle up a bunch of late picks to get to 1,000 points. They'll probably have to trade out another few guys who want out because they can't break into the 22, they won't lose a 1st rounder at the end of the day.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

They should have just cut them from the first round. OK that's pretty much the same thing and BF posters would still say it wasn't enough, but at least it would look better than stupid 1,000 points stuff that most of the public won't understand.

PS looking forward to hearing the 5AA crew explain this to their listeners :p

I am getting sick of Kane Cornes going on like a broken record about the players being right in the pay dispute ......so many more knowledgeable footy people / administrators, no longer connected to the AFL telling Cornes he's wrong .......but he just ignores all the facts

Now this .......you want to guarantee the players "lose" on this negotiation and supporters support ? .....just try these measures, it's a guarantee !!!

On-field player protests have emerged as an alternative to strike action in football’s pay dispute
1d5fc871bf84b8e026173b5b1cb1ca34

MICHAEL WARNER, Herald Sun
9 minutes ago
Subscriber only
1d5fc871bf84b8e026173b5b1cb1ca34

ON-FIELD player protests have emerged as an explosive alternative to strike action in footy’s deepening pay stoush.

Port Adelaide premiership star Kane Cornes revealed a player sit-down during pre-season matches was seriously explored during the last salaries stand-off between AFL chiefs and the game’s 850 players.

Other proposed guerilla tactics included masking the AFL logo on jumpers, wearing armbands or slogans, shaking hands, linking arms or raising fists as a sign of player solidarity.

Cornes says acts of defiance this time around would be “completely justified” if a wages deal cannot be struck before the pre-season competition kicks off on February 16.

An industry figure close to the pay brawl said last night: “Nothing is off the table — the players have a plan that will explore a wide-range of tactics”.

We've got to remember we had back our picks that first year and then we still copped extra punishment. What would have been the consequences had we fought it? Not much more I would have thought.

Last edited:
We've got to remember we had back our picks that first year and then we still copped extra punishment. What would have been the consequences had we thought it? Not much more I would have thought.

Talking about disagreeing with the club EC? I was more mad at the club for not fighting the VFL about the severity of the punishment than I was for their fu..ing up the Tippett contract and getting caught.
That was the only time that I remember thinking about giving up my membership. That is how mad I was at the club. Mind you, I was a lot angrier at the VFL then, and that has not changed.

We've got to remember we had back our picks that first year and then we still copped extra punishment. What would have been the consequences had we thought it? Not much more I would have thought.

According to Demetriou we didn't cooperate so we might as well have fought the penalty. In for a penny, in for a pound.:p

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back