Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 6, 2003
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
🇦🇺 🇦🇺 🇦🇺 West Adelaide
Im happy the 3rd man up has been abolished. To often these days good ruckman are double teamed at contests and the minute they block the 3rd man they get penalised with a FA. Its horseshit really. Good for the AFL to act.
To support your view ;)

Banning the third man up is better than the current implementation.

But I agree with Sam Jacobs saying that the only change that actually needed to be made is allowing the blocking of third man ups. Giving away a free for blocking them is just dumb

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox

But I agree with Sam Jacobs saying that the only change that actually needed to be made is allowing the blocking of third man ups. Giving away a free for blocking them is just dumb
This is the path I would have preferred.

Pdub

Norm Smith Medallist
Nov 16, 2014
Gold Coast
AFL Club
Adelaide

But then you would get taggers blocking the star midfielder from getting to the contest, because they "thought he was going 3rd man up"

Mar 21, 2016
Down South Corvus Tristis
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sturt, White Sox
how do you determine the difference between an illegal shepherd and a block of third man up?

I think just banning the third man up makes it a black and white rule, which the AFL needs more of.
They are both the same aren't they? Apart from the ''5m rule'' both are holding a person from the play.

Archie87

Club Legend
Feb 13, 2008
Adelaide
AFL Club
Adelaide
I find the blocking rule ridiculous in most situations to be to be honest.

It's far too subjective and arbitrary. I am confident that in about 90% of contests, whether the ball is in the air going forward or in a ruck situation, there would be someone, somewhere that is having their path to the ball impeded thereby technically making it a free kick yet it is only plucked out as a free occasionally. The only time it makes any sort of sense is if the ball is being kicked to a forward out in front of him on a lead and you get a defender coming in from the side with absolutely no intention of contesting the ball but even then there is a whole lot of subjectivity involved.

May 25, 2009
Back in S.A.
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Sporting Clube de Portugal
how do you determine the difference between an illegal shepherd and a block of third man up?

I think just banning the third man up makes it a black and white rule, which the AFL needs more of.

The easier it is to officiate the smaller the margin for error is. Keep it simple.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

DD#23

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 31, 2013
AFL Club
Adelaide

1000 draft points is about pick 18
conduct unbecoming?

I guess that's one grade below "bringing the game into disrepute" also known as lets try and wash away what they actually did wrong.

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Amateur hour by the AFL. Knowing GWS they'll probably avoid any first round pick loss by collecting a bunch of 3rd and 4th rounders to get to the 1000 point total.
You can't do that any more. Can only have as many picks as there are spaces on your list

Oct 20, 2015
In a Galaxy Far, Far Away
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Liverpool
Piss weak by the AFL. Only thing weaker was the penalties to Essendon. When you compare to the tippett penalties where we lost an extra first rounder and 2 second rounders it is mind boggling.
They are sending the message that it is ok to cheat or how from drug testers as you won't get much of a penalty. As opposed to the far worse crime of agreeing to trade someone to the club of their choice for a pre determined amount

Oct 21, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Adelaide
You can't do that any more. Can only have as many picks as there are spaces on your list

I get that, but this is the first time that any draft penalty has been defined in terms of a point value (as opposed to a first/second rounder etc).

1000 points = 1 late 1st rounder or 2x 3rds and a 4th based on the AFL draft valuation table.

I used an example on the MB thread (https://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threads/gws-punishment-for-whitfield.1155073/page-2#post-48213978): Pick 41, 42 and 56 = 412 + 395 + 194 = 1001 points

In 2017 GWS already has 2 future 2nd rounders. If they trade a player for a 3rd, and bundle it with their 3rd and 4th picks to match the penalty, that still leaves them with 4 draft picks (first rounder and 3 seconds) and with little impact on their draft strategy. Essentially their penalty is to give up picks they probably wouldn't even have used in the first place.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back