Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

What has happened with SPS to not be rated top 20 - by a Blues fan. Has he not come on as expected?

SPS has played some terrific football, but has had some poor games also. I would suggest that is perfectly normal for a 20 year old with 26 games of senior experience under his belt.

Hasn't had a full preseason yet either, which hasn't helped his cause.

I suspect the low rating is just frustration regarding where we're at as a side right now, which is unfair on the kid. He has already shown some terrific signs, and I would be amazed if he's not well inside the top 20 in this draft come the end of their careers.

Serious underrating of Jy Simpkin and what he's done so far in this thread. But still, to be expected with North players.

I thought this draft would be one to forget.

Enter Harry Morrison pick 74, was close to bog on the weekend (behind Mitchell and Smith).

Add James Cousins from the rookie draft and we have managed to find a few players out of nowhere.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

I thought this draft would be one to forget.

Enter Harry Morrison pick 74, was close to bog on the weekend (behind Mitchell and Smith).

Add James Cousins from the rookie draft and we have managed to find a few players out of nowhere.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Mitchell Lewis (pick 76) looks like one of the best developing talls from HFC I have seen in recent memory too.

Geelong would be ecstatic with this draft.

Parfitt is arguably the best player of the draft who has exploded this year (21.6 disposals, 1.2 goals and 104 supercoach a game). Really clean with the ball, knows how to find it both inside and outside and is a super tackler. Stewart has been superb and would be in the AA conversation. Ratugolea is so raw he's still mooing but he's got serious ability with incredible physical attributes. Nobody thought he'd be playing yet let alone having a solid impact on games.

Parfitt @p26
Stewart @p40
Ratugolea @p43
Henry @ Rookie p16
ZGuthrie @ Rookie p33

Im not sure where they would go but my guess all would be higher

and at some stage I think House may yet add to that list

Parfitt has some real class and is one of the only midfielders in the draft capable of tearing a game apart from the midfield. He has to be in the top 10. Ryan and stewart will get close to AA this year both excellent. SSP i wouldnt have in the top 15.

Darcy and Seton easily on this list. Fisher a little high i reckon. Good list though
What has happened with SPS to not be rated top 20 - by a Blues fan. Has he not come on as expected?

If I were to expand to a top 25 he'd definitely be in there. His contested game hasn't improved and seems to be regressing in fact, for the outside-role he is playing though he isn't damaging enough by foot and hand (he has the skill level its there to see) but has been in small glimpses. Would love to have egg on my face with this one but I think from an unbiased perspective theirs a better crop of mids picked below him who deserve to be rated higher.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1 Taranto
2 Stewart
3 Parfit
4 McGrath
5 Ryan
6 SPP
7 Witherden
8 Berry
9 Graham
10 McCluggage
11 Fisher
12 Hayward
13 Simpkin
14 Ainsworth
15 Florent
16 English
17 Marshall
18 SPS
19 Bowes
20 Darcy

This is on performance I personally wouldn’t draft them at those selections ( Tom Stewart 24)

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

People rating English over Darcy have got some serious recency bias going on.
It's easy to let that creep in when Darcy is out injured and English is the new kid.
But if you compare 2017 - Barely 19 year old Darcy to Current turning 21 year old English, Darcy is still a head is a number of really important categories.
mWgX76J.png

The only area where English is in front is uncontested ball and it's kicking and marking indicators.

1. Taranto
2. Mccluggage
3. Mcgrath
4. Parfitt
5. Marshall
6. Witherden
7. Fisher
8. SPS
9. English
10. SPP

Remove this Banner Ad

Back