Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

May 28, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Seattle Seahawks
I know it's early but some players are making moves in their 2nd year.

If done today this is how I see it going.

1) Taranto
2) McCluggage
3) Stewart
4) Ryan
5) Bowes
6) McGrath
7) Witherdon
8) Florent
9) Simpkin
10) Fisher
11) Marshall
12) Sam Petrevski Seton
13) Berry
14) English
15) Sam Power Pepper
16) Venables
17) Parfitt
18) Logue
19) Hayward
20) Darcy

Last edited:

1) Sam Power Pepper
2) Taranto
3) McGrath
4) Witherdon
5) McCluggage
6) Graham
7) Bowes
8) Florent
9) Parfitt
10) Fisher
11) Marshall
12) Sam Petrevski Seton
13) Berry
14) English
15) Ratugolea
16) Venables
17) Simpkin
18) Logue
19) Hayward
20) Darcy
I'd have Parfitt higher than all of Graham, McGluggage, Bowes, Graham and Powell-Pepper.

Powell-Pepper is the most overrated player on that list.

I tossed up between SPP and Taranto at 1. Ess would love a future inside mid bull.

Would be nice but we didn't have two early picks and wouldn't give up McGrath for either of them.

None of them have shown a great deal thus far; no real early standouts for kids who look like utter stars. Taranto and Petrevski-Seton look like they might have that star potential, and McGrath already has the air of a more experienced player. Jarrod Berry has been great for the Lions at pick 17.

PostPaolo

All Australian
Sep 4, 2013
AFL Club
Carlton
In the nature that this is an actual re-draft rather the ranking I wouldn't hesitate about using anything after pick #10 on Will Setterfield, will be great to see what he can do with another off-season in the gym, is a very talented inside mid.

Wouldn't have Witherden myself that high, good to see non-Carlton fans have identified Fisher has passed Petrevski-Seton at this stage. I'd say in terms of upside a lot of those guys placed below the likes of Powell-Pepper and Graham have the potential to pass them in the near future and would probably prefer drafting a guy like Florent over Graham myself.

Also Ainsworth should be in that top 20.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

1) Sam Power Pepper
2) Taranto
3) McGrath
4) Witherdon
5) McCluggage
6) Graham
7) Bowes
8) Florent
9) Parfitt
10) Fisher
11) Marshall
12) Sam Petrevski Seton
13) Berry
14) English
15) Ratugolea
16) Venables
17) Simpkin
18) Logue
19) Hayward
20) Darcy
Id definitely have Stewart in the top 3 with Taranto and McGrath. I'd also add Luke Ryan into the top 20 tbh

Footy Smarts

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 19, 2006
AFL Club
Geelong
Geelong would be ecstatic with this draft.

Parfitt is arguably the best player of the draft who has exploded this year (21.6 disposals, 1.2 goals and 104 supercoach a game). Really clean with the ball, knows how to find it both inside and outside and is a super tackler. Stewart has been superb and would be in the AA conversation. Ratugolea is so raw he's still mooing but he's got serious ability with incredible physical attributes. Nobody thought he'd be playing yet let alone having a solid impact on games.

PenAndPaper

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2011
AFL Club
Hawthorn

Parfitt is arguably the best player of the draft who has exploded this year (21.6 disposals, 1.2 goals and 104 supercoach a game). Really clean with the ball, knows how to find it both inside and outside and is a super tackler. Stewart has been superb and would be in the AA conversation. Ratugolea is so raw he's still mooing but he's got serious ability with incredible physical attributes. Nobody thought he'd be playing yet let alone having a solid impact on games.
Completely agree, Parfitt has been excellent this year.

Established1870

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 28, 2016
Tigris River
AFL Club
Port Adelaide
Other Teams
Baghdad Bombers
SPP has all the attributes to be Dusty Martin 2.0 but I wouldn't have him at 1. From what I've seen, SPS (not a mistake) will probably end up being the best player in this draft with Marshall, McCluggage and a few others not far behind. Marshall would be stiff not to be top 5 right now as well.

Feb 12, 2017
AFL Club
Geelong

You'd have a very strong argument that in a redone draft both Parfitt and Stewart would clearly be taken in the top 10, and as for Ratugolea, while more will become apparent in a few years, has the potential to be a serious player. Great work by Wells in this one.

Yippy Yi Yeo

Premiership Player
Jul 10, 2015
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Excited for Venables to get a good run at it to show his worth, kid will be a star. Shame he's out for the next 2 months, he was really beginning to find his feet. Very tidy disposal, quick and agile with a fend off and knows how to find the goals. Can see him being a dusty lite in a few years when he ups his production, gains a bit of size and spends more time in the middle.

bungalow_bill

Norm Smith Medallist
Dec 11, 2010
AFL Club
Brisbane Lions
McCluggage in a couple of years will be top 2 if not number 1.

Another Lions draftee Cedric Cox has shown some great signs, could be top 20/15 when he develops some more.

Mar 28, 2011
Pluto
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Reds, Lakers, Gold City, Knights
1: Taranto
2: Witherden
3: McGrath
4: Powell-Pepper
5: McCluggage
6: Parfitt