3. Stewart
4. Berry
5. Ryan
6. McGrath
7. SPS
8. Fisher
9. R.Marshall
10. Hayward

People probably justifiably say I have Hayward too high, but I rate him a lot.
That's closer to the mark IMO, arguments could be made for Stewart at number 1 although he's 26 years of age, I think mature agers should be out of this sort of discussion.

I do really like the snippets I have seen of Zac Fisher, very smart footballer, I also agree with you on Hayward.

Rewatch the ESS Bris game, Berry was putrid. He’s a good young player but yes, you’re biased
To be fair... the whole Lions team was that day.

Berry is averaging 23 disposals and a goal assist a game at 21 years of age. He was ranked 10th in the league last year for goal assists. He is a gun already and very much deserves to be ranked among the top 5 players from this draft (at this stage).

Top 5 for me
McCluggage/Taranto
Taranto/McCluggage
Stewart
Berry
McGrath

I don't get the McGrath hate, he is a good player. He has all the tools to still be one of the best players from this draft.

That first half/ quarter of Clugga's on the weekend was insane. It was like watching one of the truly elite players of the competition go to work. The commentary team was frothing it was so good. Shame we hit a wall and he slowed down or it could have been one of the performances of the year. Helped he was playing in his backyard too I guess. I think he will be an a grader in fact he almost is already. Will be I retesting if he goes on to become one of the very elite players in the comp.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair... the whole Lions team was that day.

Berry is averaging 23 disposals and a goal assist a game at 21 years of age. He was ranked 10th in the league last year for goal assists. He is a gun already and very much deserves to be ranked among the top 5 players from this draft (at this stage).
As a non-Brisbane fan I'd take McCluggage at pick 1 and think Berry is top 5, Lions picked the eyes out of the draft.
Very happy with the Bulldogs pick, English is very highly rated internally.

Still the best year of football in AFL history :cool:

That first half/ quarter of Clugga's on the weekend was insane. It was like watching one of the truly elite players of the competition go to work. The commentary team was frothing it was so good. Shame we hit a wall and he slowed down or it could have been one of the performances of the year. Helped he was playing in his backyard too I guess. I think he will be an a grader in fact he almost is already. Will be I retesting if he goes on to become one of the very elite players in the comp.
He was unstoppable. Scary to think where he'll be after a couple more pre-seasons (bigger tank). A likely candidate for best wingman in the comp within two seasons.

I'm pretty happy with turning 5, 27 and our second rounder this year into Setterfield, SPS and Fisher.

Technically we traded Setters in last year (for this years second) but we initially bid on him at 5 (matched by GWS) in this draft.

Nice to see some love for Zac Fisher in here. He's an absolute gem, and I'm as bullish about him as I am about any of the kids on our list, barring perhaps Walsh.

After watching Setterfield this year coming back of his knee last year, I reckon he'll be in the top 10 conversation by the end of the year.

Cant see any reason why the three of them wont play 200 games for us (barring injury or one of the WA lads seeking a trade).

I'm pretty happy with turning 5, 27 and our second rounder this year into Setterfield, SPS and Fisher.

Technically we traded Setters in last year (for this years second) but we initially bid on him at 5 (matched by GWS) in this draft.

Nice to see some love for Zac Fisher in here. He's an absolute gem, and I'm as bullish about him as I am about any of the kids on our list, barring perhaps Walsh.

After watching Setterfield this year coming back of his knee last year, I reckon he'll be in the top 10 conversation by the end of the year.

Cant see any reason why the three of them wont play 200 games for us (barring injury or one of the WA lads seeking a trade).
To be honest - and while I agree with rating Fisher highly and SPS being vastly improved - from an objective perspective, Setterfield has been very average. He's actually ranked the worst of every Mid/Fwd in the AFL to have played more than 2 games throughout 2019

Seriously? Player ratings?

'A player's rating is determined by aggregating his points tally based on a rolling window of [his previous 40 games over] the previous two seasons.'

He's played 5 games this year (missing 2 through suspension), missed all of 2018 with an ACL, and played 2 games in 2017 (missing 2 months with an ankle injury).

It's a bit of a s**t metric to use 'player ratings' to determine how good he is seeing as it's impossible (based of 7 games; two of which he was injured in) for him not to be right down the bottom of those ratings!

This year:

● Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
● Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists
● Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Centre Clearances
● Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
● Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Inside 50s Per Game
● Ranked 7th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game
● Ranked 6th among rising stars in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
● Ranked 8th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game
● Ranked 4th among rising stars in Centre Clearances Per Game
● Ranked 10th among rising stars in Stoppage Clearances Per Game
● Ranked 4th among rising stars in Tackles Inside 50 Per Game

It's his first year with a reasonable run at it, and he's 7 games into his career after two serious injuries. He passes the eye test for me no worries at all.

Im stoked to have him. Barring injury, he'll justify where he was taken (5) by the end of the year for mine.

Seriously? Player ratings?

'A player's rating is determined by aggregating his points tally based on a rolling window of [his previous 40 games over] the previous two seasons.'

He's played 5 games this year (missing 2 through suspension), missed all of 2018 with an ACL, and played 2 games in 2017 (missing 2 months with an ankle injury).

It's a bit of a **** metric to use 'player ratings' to determine how good he is seeing as it's impossible (based of 7 games; two of which he was injured in) for him not to be right down the bottom of those ratings!

This year:

● Ranked 8th among rising stars in Total Inside 50s
● Ranked 9th among rising stars in Total Goal Assists
● Ranked 5th among rising stars in Total Centre Clearances
● Ranked 7th among rising stars in Total Tackles Inside 50
● Ranked 2nd among rising stars in Inside 50s Per Game
● Ranked 7th among rising stars in Goal Assists Per Game
● Ranked 6th among rising stars in Uncontested Possessions Per Game
● Ranked 8th among rising stars in Clearances Per Game
● Ranked 4th among rising stars in Centre Clearances Per Game
● Ranked 10th among rising stars in Stoppage Clearances Per Game
● Ranked 4th among rising stars in Tackles Inside 50 Per Game

It's his first year with a reasonable run at it, and he's 7 games into his career after two serious injuries. He passes the eye test for me no worries at all.

Im stoked to have him. Barring injury, he'll justify where he was taken (5) by the end of the year for mine.
Brayden Ainsworth is ahead of him in the rankings and he's played 3 career games, none this season.

But I will use this article as a better example then
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscr...memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21suffix=51-a

"Will Setterfield's impact was negligible before he was suspended.

The Blues gave up a 2018 third-round pick and their 2019 second-rounder for him but Champion data rates him the worst mid-forward in the league of the 28 players to play 4 games.

On it's official player ratings he is on 3.8 points, with the next worst 6.6 - almost twice as bad as the next worst player in 2019
"

He's also 4th in clangers per game out of the rising stars which I notice you've left out

One of the issues with the stats you have presented though, is that he's the oldest you can possibly be to still be eligible for the Rising Star award in 2019. His main competition for the most part are between 12 - 34 months younger than him so comparing him using 'rising star' rankings is even more useless than AFL player ratings. The players taken before and after him in the same draft are becoming bonafide guns or are performing to a much higher standard the last few season, such as Taranto, McCluggage, McGrath, Ainsworth, SPS, Bowes, Florent, Berry, Hayward, Witherden, Parfitt, Fisher, Stewart, Ryan, Zurhaar, Henry, and Ronke just to name a few.

If you're happy with him, then great, but again, from an objective viewer, he hasn't been overly impressive this season. With a fairly large injury history and with how many players have been performing from his draft, I personally can't see him being anywhere near top 10 conversation come the end of the season, but that isn't to say I don't think he'll turn out to be a good player by the end of his career.

Brayden Ainsworth is ahead of him in the rankings and he's played 3 career games, none this season.

But I will use this article as a better example then
https://www.heraldsun.com.au/subscribe/news/1/?sourceCode=HSWEB_WRE170_a_GGL&dest=https://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/teams/carlton/carltons-dirty-dozen-jon-ralph-analyses-12-key-reasons-the-battling-blues-are-15-after-six-rounds/news-story/02371bae663e19d9c24075306f706251&memtype=anonymous&mode=premium&v21suffix=51-a

"Will Setterfield's impact was negligible before he was suspended.

The Blues gave up a 2018 third-round pick and their 2019 second-rounder for him but Champion data rates him the worst mid-forward in the league of the 28 players to play 4 games.

On it's official player ratings he is on 3.8 points, with the next worst 6.6 - almost twice as bad as the next worst player in 2019"

He's also 4th in clangers per game out of the rising stars which I notice you've left out

One of the issues with the stats you have presented though, is that he's the oldest you can possibly be to still be eligible for the Rising Star award in 2019. His main competition for the most part are between 12 - 34 months younger than him so comparing him using 'rising star' rankings is even more useless than AFL player ratings. The players taken before and after him in the same draft are becoming bonafide guns or are performing to a much higher standard the last few season, such as Taranto, McCluggage, McGrath, Ainsworth, SPS, Bowes, Florent, Berry, Hayward, Witherden, Parfitt, Fisher, Stewart, Ryan, Zurhaar, Henry, and Ronke just to name a few.

If you're happy with him, then great, but again, from an objective viewer, he hasn't been overly impressive this season. With a fairly large injury history and with how many players have been performing from his draft, I personally can't see him being anywhere near top 10 conversation come the end of the season, but that isn't to say I don't think he'll turn out to be a good player by the end of his career.

You're still using player ratings as a metric, AND you're comparing him to players that havent missed 2 years with injury.

Hes literally played 7 games.

You're oddly then using the fact he has only played 7 games (making him RS eligible) to discount him from his peers (who aren't eligible due to playing 40 odd and not missing 2 years with injury).

He's behind his peers for sure, but thats due to injury. My eyes don't lie. I think he'll be in the top 10 conversation by the end of the year, and will definitely be there in 2 or 3 years when he catches up.

You're still using player ratings as a metric, AND you're comparing him to players that havent missed 2 years with injury.

Hes literally played 7 games.

You're oddly then using the fact he has only played 7 games (making him RS eligible) to discount him from his peers (who aren't eligible due to playing 40 odd and not missing 2 years with injury).

He's behind his peers for sure, but thats due to injury. My eyes don't lie. I think he'll be in the top 10 conversation by the end of the year, and will definitely be there in 2 or 3 years when he catches up.
Your eyes may not lie but they’re looking through navy blue glasses. He’s a promising young player, I wanted him for the price he’d come at but you can’t assume he’s going to make significant gains while discounting the chance that others do too. Right as we sit he’s not close to any of those mentioned in the post you replied to on exposed form and while he may get there, your blind faith is likely a little premature. He behind 2 bombers players for a start (McGrath & Ridley, I won’t count Begley), let alone Taranto, McCluggage, SPS, SPP, Florent, Hayward, English, Witherden, Fisher, Battle, Stewart and others.

Your eyes may not lie but they’re looking through navy blue glasses. He’s a promising young player, I wanted him for the price he’d come at but you can’t assume he’s going to make significant gains while discounting the chance that others do too. Right as we sit he’s not close to any of those mentioned in the post you replied to on exposed form and while he may get there, your blind faith is likely a little premature. He behind 2 bombers players for a start (McGrath & Ridley, I won’t count Begley), let alone Taranto, McCluggage, SPS, SPP, Florent, Hayward, English, Witherden, Fisher, Battle, Stewart and others.

I know from Carlton SPS just played his 50th game on the weekend, Fisher wouldn’t be far off if he didn’t hurt his leg. From memory the others of that group have played atleast 30-40 games now, whereas Setters has been stuck on 7 for a variety of reasons.

I always get confused if these threads are redos based on potential or on performance too date, on performance too date he’s clearly a few steps behind but in a pure redraft I think he’d still find himself in the top 12-18. One of the ones I’m more confident in making the grade.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back