Draft Review 2016 - Revisiting the 2016 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Stewart is the clear 1
I dont think you can judge it purely on awards like BnF's and All Australians, i would have McCluggage at 2 despite having neither.
The 3-8 is hard to order, I would rate Ryan closer to 8 than 3.
I would probably have McGrath at 10 behind Will Hayward

In another 5 years itll be bumped again and the order will be different
I wanna throw a name from left field, rookie pick number 10, selected by St.Kilda. Rowan Marshal. Been pretty bloody good and in any other era probably gets recognised more than he does now but he is consistently in the top 3 - 4 rucks every year.

Stewart will be interesting, the clear number 1 and i cant see being overtaken at this stage. He will though likely retire 3-5 years before the rest so i wonder if recency bias will come into it a few years after he is retired?
Has a player ever been the clear number 1 from a draft where they are so much older than the majority drafted?

Stewart will be interesting, the clear number 1 and i cant see being overtaken at this stage. He will though likely retire 3-5 years before the rest so i wonder if recency bias will come into it a few years after he is retired?
Has a player ever been the clear number 1 from a draft where they are so much older than the majority drafted?
Isaac Smith was 21 and picked at number 19 iirc.

I guess Shane Woewodin is a better player than Scott West then in your scale of appreciation
lol what? West has 5 AAs and 7 best and fairest.

McGrath hasn’t had a top 3 finish in a B&F or ever made an AA squad let alone the final team. 8 decent games this year doesn’t erase the last 7 years.

I wanna throw a name from left field, rookie pick number 10, selected by St.Kilda. Rowan Marshal. Been pretty bloody good and in any other era probably gets recognised more than he does now but he is consistently in the top 3 - 4 rucks every year.
Can argue that Marshall is the best ruck from that draft.

Marshall, English, Darcy and Draper is a pretty bloody good draft for rucks as well.

No, you're talking s**t to try and discredit others whilst talking up McGrath in his first real good season at the top level.

A gentle reminder this isn't Bay 13.
go check the facts instead of the "just because" dribble your spouting chief.

Daicos was an in and out fringe player until 3 years ago, in 2020 he finally put it all together as a role player with more teasing of the player he could become. 2021 was the season he started to stamp himself on games whilst 2022 was when it all came together.

McGrath's ceiling isn't near what Josh is at, im not lying to myself on that front. Andy has been at a B level fluttering on A for some time. Sure he's been very good this year but your argument of "just because" doesn't stand up when facts show McGrath has been a constant mainstay in a side who has bordered on finals (sure, not winning one) for close to 50% of his career.

lol what? West has 5 AAs and 7 best and fairest.

McGrath hasn’t had a top 3 finish in a B&F or ever made an AA squad let alone the final team. 8 decent games this year doesn’t erase the last 7 years.
2020 didn't exist? your opinion is null in void as your bias shows once again you know little about the topic at hand Billy boy

(Log in to remove this ad.)

go check the facts instead of the "just because" dribble your spouting chief.
That’s an amazing line given you’ve followed it up with this…
Daicos was an in and out fringe player until 3 years ago, in 2020 he finally put it all together as a role player with more teasing of the player he could become. 2021 was the season he started to stamp himself on games whilst 2022 was when it all came together.

Daicos was drafted into a club that made a grand final in his second year, and a preliminary final in his 3rd.

It is beyond disingenuous to use that against him whilst lauding McGrath for playing every game in a side that made one elimination final - and lost it - in that time frame.

Josh may well have been a starting wing for Essendon over those two seasons had he been drafted there.

McGrath's ceiling isn't near what Josh is at, im not lying to myself on that front. Andy has been at a B level fluttering on A for some time. Sure he's been very good this year but your argument of "just because" doesn't stand up when facts show McGrath has been a constant mainstay in a side who has bordered on finals (sure, not winning one) for close to 50% of his career.

That’s just about the only fact you’ve actually presented. Took you a while.

Constant mainstay in a mediocre side vs developing kid in a premiership side.

No matter which way you try and twist that, it doesn’t end in Andy’s favour.

Good footballer, but you’re convincing nobody other than yourself here. It’s pretty embarrassing and does the player no favors.

McGrath isn't a top 10 player in this draft as is stands, but he is having an unbelievable season and is finally living up to his draft pick albeit in a back pocket.

If he plays at this level consistenty he will definitely move his way in. But I wouldn't have him over some of the gun mids or elite attacking players. No list manager would.

Stewart
Larkey
Bolton
McCluggage
Stengle
Taranto
English
Marshall
Darcy
Ridley
Ryan
Daicos

I don't think he would be recruited over any of these players.

The next rung still has plenty of quality. Hayward, Drew, Zurhaar, Guthrie, Henry, Rioli, Marshell, Cameron, Battle, Ainsworth, some of these guys have played better footy in the past and some are having similarly good seasons in 2024. Also need to remember KPP take longer.

4th is ridiculous.

Last edited:
McGrath’s form hasn’t exactly come from no where. He’s always been a good to very good player who’s disposal/decision making let him down a bit.

Finished top 3 in 2020?
1st Ridley
2nd Merrett
3rd Saad

Yeah - you certainly know your football. :rolleyes:

Essendon’s best and fairest voting heavily favours players who play every game. He was leading that year before getting injury

English I ummmed and uhhhed about

Daicos.J only "popped" in 2023 after promising so much early but finally putting it all together

Bolton has been a dick tease since he was drafted. I trust my wife's netball ability more than Bolton to show up every week in a season

McCluggage - see English. Nice player, but could have, like draft day, could have gone either way and not been wrong

Is this also for real??

Hugh McCluggage has consistently outperformed McGrath every year since 2018 - including this year. Hugh is miles in front and has the runs on the board.

Wrong is anyone listing Mcgrath ahead of him. Lift.

Agree Andy at 4 is a bit on the nose but he has been great this year, probably falls in the 10-15 range of this draft but no Dons fan is disappointed we picked him.

Pointless argument as McCluggage and Taranto are better players but not what we need right now anyway. Durham and Caldwell do more with less.

McGrath isn't a top 10 player in this draft as is stands, but he is having an unbelievable season and is finally living up to his draft pick albeit in a back pocket.

If he plays at this level consistenty he will definitely move his way in. But I wouldn't have him over some of the gun mids or elite attacking players. No list manager would.

Stewart
Larkey
Bolton
McCluggage
Stengle
Taranto
English
Marshall
Darcy
Ridley
Ryan
Daicos

I don't think he would be recruited over any of these players.

The next rung still has plenty of quality. Hayward, Drew, Zurhaar, Guthrie, Henry, Rioli, Marshell, Cameron, Battle, Ainsworth, some of these guys have played better footy in the past and some are having similarly good seasons in 2024. Also need to remember KPP take longer.

4th is ridiculous.

Scrimshaw having a fantastic season as well. Probably the best of his career and doing so playing a slightly different role.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back