2017-18 La Liga Santander a.k.a only post in here when Real Madrid lose

Remove this Banner Ad

Don't know what Real Madrid see in Benzema to play him so much and it's been like that for years.

The transfer fee for Real Madrid was nice for what was a backup player but Morata is showing in an extended run that he's quality.

Tactically it makes too much sense to have Benzema there. He may not be a goal scoring striker but he's an excellent targetman who is willing to stick to his role in the team.

Don't know what Real Madrid see in Benzema to play him so much and it's been like that for years.

The transfer fee for Real Madrid was nice for what was a backup player but Morata is showing in an extended run that he's quality.
His movement off the ball is brilliant.

Atlético Madrid not letting in Barça fans, barring the 62 that have already bought tickets.

Seen a lot of people complaining about it but it's a very smart move in my eyes.

Mbappe wouldn't have replaced Benzema. Lewa would have and that seems like a lot of money for not a massive improvement. I think Mbappe would've only come if they'd sold Bale.

Atlético Madrid not letting in Barça fans, barring the 62 that have already bought tickets.

Seen a lot of people complaining about it but it's a very smart move in my eyes.

Probably for the best.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I see you like yourself some Andalusian action. Any reason on the appeal there, and why you are ruling out Sevilla?

When I first got into European football about 5 years ago I decided to try and choose teams in each of the major leagues. Initially my criteria was pretty superficial; I often chose clubs based on a combination of their colours, name, level/quality of support and degree of success in their history based on reading Wikipedia. When I say success though I don't mean the most successful clubs as you might have noticed, but ones with a solid history and reasonable degree of success - even before I really started following European leagues seriously I had a distaste for a lot of the biggest clubs, e.g. Manchester United, Juventus, Bayern etc. (I've never liked the favourites ;)) but didn't want to follow minnows either, hence my penchant for middle of the road clubs.

Naturally as you learn more about the leagues and the histories of the clubs, your allegiances may shift a little before firmly settling somewhere. That's why I've switched from Wolfsburg in Germany to 1860 München and chose Villa over Manchester City - both VfL and City definitely had aspects I found myself uneasy with.

In Spain I don't think it was anything really to do with the location, more just the general appeal I got from the club identities (at a superficial level) and their support. Sevilla was never really a consideration for me simply because they didn't appeal in that way.

Now I've said that I'm sure I'll lose any respect I might have had here but there you go.

I've been trying to choose a team in Spain for quite a few years now. Narrowed it down to two:

Real Betis and Malaga.

Who would you choose out of those two?

Celta Vigo ;)

But depends on what you want from them. I like the Málaga kits more and colours more.

Neither team really have had much success, Betis at least have a Primera División title, all be it won over 80 years ago.

Both will always be lower to mid-tier in the league.

Betis have a cool slogan, "Viva el Betis manque pierda!"

Málaga is owned by a Qatari investor. Betis owned by Luis Oliver, a man who has taken 2 clubs to near bankruptcy.

Betis have a great 60k capacity stadium with great support.

Celta Vigo ;)

But depends on what you want from them. I like the Málaga kits more and colours more.

Neither team really have had much success, Betis at least have a Primera División title, all be it won over 80 years ago.

Both will always be lower to mid-tier in the league.

Betis have a cool slogan, "Viva el Betis manque pierda!"

Málaga is owned by a Qatari investor. Betis owned by Luis Oliver, a man who has taken 2 clubs to near bankruptcy.

Betis have a great 60k capacity stadium with great support.

Don't mind Celta; they're probably in my top half a dozen or so Spanish teams but I doubt they'll ever truly win me over. Athletic is the other club that could enter consideration (I like their strong Basque identity), but I feel like I've at least put a few years into loosely following Malaga and Betis, learning about them and getting a general feel for them as clubs so that they'll be the only ones I'd truly consider.

Betis' support in particular is definitely amazing given as you've said they haven't been particularly successful, especially in recent times and that's a great attribute to have as a club. Paradoxically the smaller feel that Malaga has is also endearing in its own way to me, and when it comes to atmosphere at Spanish games I've found they're typically fantastic no matter the crowd size.

When I first got into European football about 5 years ago I decided to try and choose teams in each of the major leagues. Initially my criteria was pretty superficial; I often chose clubs based on a combination of their colours, name, level/quality of support and degree of success in their history based on reading Wikipedia. When I say success though I don't mean the most successful clubs as you might have noticed, but ones with a solid history and reasonable degree of success - even before I really started following European leagues seriously I had a distaste for a lot of the biggest clubs, e.g. Manchester United, Juventus, Bayern etc. (I've never liked the favourites ;)) but didn't want to follow minnows either, hence my penchant for middle of the road clubs.

Naturally as you learn more about the leagues and the histories of the clubs, your allegiances may shift a little before firmly settling somewhere. That's why I've switched from Wolfsburg in Germany to 1860 München and chose Villa over Manchester City - both VfL and City definitely had aspects I found myself uneasy with.

In Spain I don't think it was anything really to do with the location, more just the general appeal I got from the club identities (at a superficial level) and their support. Sevilla was never really a consideration for me simply because they didn't appeal in that way.

Now I've said that I'm sure I'll lose any respect I might have had here but there you go.

Well, we have reasons for supporting the clubs we do, so, no biggie.

I'm surprised at that. Seems a little coincidental. Obviously the region is drawing you.

If I had to choose between the two, go Real Betis. I love myself a Derbi Day! There's also potential in growth if Sevilla do well, so I'd back Betis as a good club to back!

Is that one of the mooted possibilities? :eek:

I'm already a Saint-Etienne supporter in France.
Unlikely but definitely possible. Ligue One chief has already welcomed the idea of Barca joining the French league.

Would be a catastrophic event if it did. Value of Spanish tv rights would drop so sharply (as Barca and Real account for 80% of viewers I believe), that Real might push UEFA to proceed with the "super league" idea to replace the current format of the champions league in order to protect their tv revenue stream (i know I would if i were them).

La Liga would die in the arse.

Unlikely but definitely possible. Ligue One chief has already welcomed the idea of Barca joining the French league.

Would be a catastrophic event if it did. Value of Spanish tv rights would drop so sharply (as Barca and Real account for 80% of viewers I believe), that Real might push UEFA to proceed with the "super league" idea to replace the current format of the champions league in order to protect their tv revenue stream (i know I would if i were them).

La Liga would die in the arse.

0% chance Barça go to Ligue 1 even with a Catalunya indepence.

0% chance Barça go to Ligue 1 even with a Catalunya indepence.
More like a 2-3% chance. You underestimate Barca's historical hatred of Spanish control and influence over Cataluyna and the club, which would drive some towards wanting to join the French if it meant La Liga would suffer.

Hope it doesn't happen but it is possible.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back