Premier Lg EPL Matchday 18, 19 & 20 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

Except earlier in the season Havertz V Man U was awarded a penalty and VAR correctly overturned it. Contact was made, but it was light contact.
This last few days, VAR has chosen to ignore Jota diving well after the contact is made, and then you have Duran exaggerating contact in the Villa/Burnley match.

Its just another example of VAR coming in and being wildly inconsistent. If Jota went down when the contact is immediately made, which is typical of most fouls, I doubt anyone has issues with it being a penalty. Its the main difference I see between Jota and Durans decisions that Duran goes down immediately when light contact is made.

The main issue is that football is a contact sport, its going to happen, not every bit of contact is a foul. But it seems EVERY contact in the box has to be a penalty where if it happened in the midfield its often waved play on.
Expecting VAR to be perfect is unreasonable though. VAR is still humans making decisions.

VAR is there to stop howlers. Was it a howler? I'd say no. Was it a penalty? I'd say maybe it was , maybe not. 100% Jota went down late and easy.

But again, it was not a howler. That's football.

Expecting VAR to be perfect is unreasonable though. VAR is still humans making decisions.

VAR is there to stop howlers. Was it a howler? I'd say no. Was it a penalty? I'd say maybe it was , maybe not. 100% Jota went down late and easy.

Agreed. Overturn it and Liverpool fans are outraged, keep it and Newcastle fans are.

Ref made a decision that's that. I think it was a dive but whatever

Great game for the neutral I imagine, terribly stressful for a Red. So much good and nearly as much bad. Jota should have been booked for diving on the penalty, that needs to come out of the game. Take the three points though.

Yeah, it was a really enjoyable game to watch, even the first half that had no goals. Jones has been a bit of a fill in player but he was excellent. Darwin was unlucky not to score but his general game was good. He drops back to link the play and make tackles. He had two involvements in Liverpool's first goal. VVD is probably still the best CB in the world. Jota definitely took a dive. But there was some slight contact so it was hard for VAR to overturn it.

Nunez moves into top 5 for xG+A per 90 mins, behind Haaland, Salah, Wilson and Isak.

Imagine if he could actually sort out his shooting, would be #3 at least.

If he could sort out his shooting he'd still have the same xG+A, that's kinda the point of xG+A. ;)

As Owen said, if strikers don’t go down then you don’t get the pen.

There was contact - you have to claim the penalty if there is one on offer.

Worth noting as well, these guys are going 100 miles an hour. It might look like a small/insignificant touch but Jota does not have time to rebalance - especially if he has hit his touch a tad hard.

Jota had to do what he had to do.
Contact doesn’t mean it’s a foul. You seem to be supporting players dropping to the ground to any touch in the box.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

As for Newcastle, sounds like they should’ve been smashed regardless of the penalty. Last season they basically relied on a ridiculous defensive record, without that they’re being exposed.
Oh yeah basically Darwin Nunez kept Howe in a job. Another day that's a 8-2 or worse loss.

Im not expecting it, but they set the precedent overturning the Havertz pen. If they overturn the Jota pen and then say "well, it tracks with the Havertz one" then people see consistency and then if anyone wants to complain, they look silly.

My issue is the week to week inconsistency with VAR, often at times it looks like they are protecting their mates. VAR needs to be independent of PGMOL.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back