Premier Lg EPL Matchday 18, 19 & 20 - On Optus Sport

Premier League Football

Remove this Banner Ad

One of the replays did show Jota was caught on the ankle but he made the most of it for sure. I guess it’s easier to fall over for a penalty than to remain on his feet and have two defenders between him and the goal.
As Owen said, if strikers don’t go down then you don’t get the pen.

There was contact - you have to claim the penalty if there is one on offer.

Worth noting as well, these guys are going 100 miles an hour. It might look like a small/insignificant touch but Jota does not have time to rebalance - especially if he has hit his touch a tad hard.

Jota had to do what he had to do.

Worth noting as well, these guys are going 100 miles an hour. It might look like a small/insignificant touch but Jota does not have time to rebalance - especially if he has hit his touch a tad hard.

Yeah, he milked the contact but contact was there.

🤩
Frustratingly wasteful in the first half, put them away in the 2nd.

I wonder what xG they gave this shot from the paint by Arnold 😂

That was an utter domination. Could have won 10-2 but I'll settle for four.

All our forwards were really good today. Diaz has been out of sorts for a while after the injury and then the family troubles with his father. Looked back to his best today though and completely ran the show before coming off. I was disappointed to see Nunez and Diaz go off cos they were creating so much but then you see how good Gakpo and Jota are when they came on so good decision in the end.

How good is Mo though, still stupidly underrated. Scored twice, assisted the third and basically assisted the fourth with a filthy ball to Jota who taps it sideways to Jones for the goal.

He's incredible.

One of the replays did show Jota was caught on the ankle but he made the most of it for sure. I guess it’s easier to fall over for a penalty than to remain on his feet and have two defenders between him and the goal.

Fair call. Most Liverpool supporters/posters felt strongly it was not a penalty live.

Yeah, he milked the contact but contact was there.
Haven’t seen the incident so have no specific opinion but just want to point out that contact doesn’t mean anything is a foul. Anywhere on the pitch. It’s not a non contact sport. The question with these type of incidents is did he feel contact and choose to go down despite not being impeded or did the contact cause him to go down/lose balance. Players can’t be going down just because they feel contact, that’s a dive.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

If he was taking the ball away from goal I may have agreed, but he had a open net to pass into if he stayed on his feet which he easily could have

Did VAR review the penalty Liverpool vs Newcastle? All penalties should be automatically reviewed and blatant dives should be red carded imo.

All penalties are automatically reviewed.

Did VAR review the penalty Liverpool vs Newcastle? All penalties should be automatically reviewed and blatant dives should be red carded imo.
Yes. There was contact so there was no error. So technically nothing VAR can do given they are supposed to be checking for clear and obvious errors, not officiating the game.

If he was taking the ball away from goal I may have agreed, but he had a open net to pass into if he stayed on his feet which he easily could have
I don’t like it and I agree that Jota chose to go down rather than being forced down by the contact.

But that is football.

The only way to ensure no penalty is for the goal keeper to not touch him. Goalkeepers cannot be reaching for players feet.

The pen is a weird one. Dubravka absolutely catches him with his elbow but Jota could have easily stayed on his feet. You cant win a pen if you dont go down to make the ref have to make a decision though.

This one is regulation stuff, seen hundreds of times across all leagues on a weekend of football.

If there was no contact at all, it would have been reversed for sure. I dont even know though why he chose to go down, he had an open goal to score.

I don’t like it and I agree that Jota chose to go down rather than being forced down by the contact.

But that is football.

The only way to ensure no penalty is for the goal keeper to not touch him. Goalkeepers cannot be reaching for players feet.
He did his team a diservice. Was an easier conversion than a penalty and his team had already missed one

But that is football.

Except earlier in the season Havertz V Man U was awarded a penalty and VAR correctly overturned it. Contact was made, but it was light contact.
This last few days, VAR has chosen to ignore Jota diving well after the contact is made, and then you have Duran exaggerating contact in the Villa/Burnley match.

Its just another example of VAR coming in and being wildly inconsistent. If Jota went down when the contact is immediately made, which is typical of most fouls, I doubt anyone has issues with it being a penalty. Its the main difference I see between Jota and Durans decisions that Duran goes down immediately when light contact is made.

The main issue is that football is a contact sport, its going to happen, not every bit of contact is a foul. But it seems EVERY contact in the box has to be a penalty where if it happened in the midfield its often waved play on.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back