List Mgmt. 2017 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Só correct me if I am wrong but from the BF posters have confirmed trades for the Giants as
Kelly tô North
Smith tô Geelong
Hopper tô Carlton
And I think it was only a 'rumour' that M Kennedy was going to Richmond
It is amazing how random individuals get hold of this information when clubs are not allowed to make official offers before trade period I think the AFL should check into this and maybe those clubs should have trade bans or fines for these illegal contract negotiations

Good reward for Corr. Been happy with his form this year. Unexpected re-signing so it does leave a bit of doubt about the out of contracts.
It will only affect the cap from 2019 onward, as for the youngsters ( I've learnt) I think the 2018 cap might be the hardest one with Kelly up in the air.

Good news about Apples. If he gets an interrupted run at it, will challenge Rance and Ataturk for bet title of the best defender in the history of defenders.
(Pardon the hyperbole. Just trying to mimic the s**t that others go on with from the main board)

Good news about Apples. If he gets an interrupted run at it, will challenge Rance and Ataturk for bet title of the best defender in the history of defenders.
(Pardon the hyperbole. Just trying to mimic the s**t that others go on with from the main board)

Geez, Rance I can buy, but Mustafa Kemal was *quality* ...

Then your not a quick learner. Devon Smith is not a second round pick in a trade deal. As sure as the Sun rises in the East.
Considering Geelong picked up Dangerfield for pick 9 and a packet of crisps, they might think pick 20 for Devon Smith is overs...

Considering Geelong picked up Dangerfield for pick 9 and a packet of crisps, they might think pick 20 for Devon Smith is overs...
It isn't though. Dangerfield was a trade that was done beween the Crows and Cats, matter for those clubs.
The issue is I think Kelly is overrated right now compared to other mids we have. I never thought Treloar was better than Dylan but a club wanted badly enough to make a serious bid, similar for Kelly.
Treloar and Kelly are very good, but Devon is not an also ran.

It isn't though. Dangerfield was a trade that was done beween the Crows and Cats, matter for those clubs.
The issue is I think Kelly is overrated right now compared to other mids we have. I never thought Treloar was better than Dylan but a club wanted badly enough to make a serious bid, similar for Kelly.
Treloar and Kelly are very good, but Devon is not an also ran.
Agree on all counts. Just saying that from the average cats fan's perspective, they have every reason to think Smith for a late first rounder is reasonable and probable.

Agree on all counts. Just saying that from the average cats fan's perspective, they have every reason to think Smith for a late first rounder is reasonable and probable.
They got steal with Dangerfield no risk

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Ultimately, it comes down to the relationship/goodwill between the clubs, the two clubs' relationship with the player, and the picks that the gaining club has to offer. You can't offer more than what you have. (I know that Gold Coast defied that in its demands from Hawks with O'Meara last year, but that was a reaction to perceived treachery by O'Meara & greed by Hawks.)

I agree that Dev is worth more to GWS than an early second round pick, by a little bit (perhaps more if you don't rate this year's draft crop - but that's hard to press home). I'd rate him in the region 15-18. So we could hold out for Geelong's 2018 first round pick, or try to get a touch more points value out of this year's later picks from Geelong (i.e. later round pick trades in addition to Carlton's second rounder to add to the points value). It may depend on what else is happening - if we lose a few players this year, we can't trade them all for next year's picks otherwise we will leave ourselves short in this year's trade/draft period. However, if we respect Dev and aren't out to nail Geelong, and given last year's trading by the GWS team that IMHO didn't extract full value, I would not be surprised if a result was Dev straight up for that Carlton second round pick. We can only hope that Carlton fall as low as possible by end of year then!

Ultimately, it comes down to the relationship/goodwill between the clubs, the two clubs' relationship with the player, and the picks that the gaining club has to offer. You can't offer more than what you have. (I know that Gold Coast defied that in its demands from Hawks with O'Meara last year, but that was a reaction to perceived treachery by O'Meara & greed by Hawks.)

I agree that Dev is worth more to GWS than an early second round pick, by a little bit (perhaps more if you don't rate this year's draft crop - but that's hard to press home). I'd rate him in the region 15-18. So we could hold out for Geelong's 2018 first round pick, or try to get a touch more points value out of this year's later picks from Geelong (i.e. later round pick trades in addition to Carlton's second rounder to add to the points value). It may depend on what else is happening - if we lose a few players this year, we can't trade them all for next year's picks otherwise we will leave ourselves short in this year's trade/draft period. However, if we respect Dev and aren't out to nail Geelong, and given last year's trading by the GWS team that IMHO didn't extract full value, I would not be surprised if a result was Dev straight up for that Carlton second round pick. We can only hope that Carlton fall as low as possible by end of year then!
Compare with the Teloar trade? Done on the last day and I dont think there was any hate from the club for him. Just pragmatically.doing what needs to be done.
Club has always said it will trade in it's own interests and emotion is frankly unprofessional.
If you mean Carlton I think there were so many twists and turns in that trade you cant really discern value-added from outside.
I agree that if Devon wants to go, him getting to the club he wants is the best outcome. What happened with McCarthy was unfortunate and I hope it 's never repeated. It was different set of circumstances but I think it failed because of a lack of communication between the parties. IE, I think we were blindsided.

Devon has said he doesn't want to go, but if that changes he needs to communicate it clearly to the club and the club then clearly needs to communicate it's expectations to Geelong. That's the best chance of avoiding a problem in my view. Ultimately Geelong need to cough and hardball is still possible, but less likely.

Bokonon_ I'm of a view that the Treloar trade & McCarthy original no trade were due to the club playing hardball after being unhappy with the player's (or manager's) actions. However, based on Raymann's comments, if Dev goes it will be due to being squeezed out for Kelly's $ - in which case I would think that they would ensure he gets where he wants to go, therefore being open to accepting slight unders.

Bokonon_ I'm of a view that the Treloar trade & McCarthy original no trade were due to the club playing hardball after being unhappy with the player's (or manager's) actions. However, based on Raymann's comments, if Dev goes it will be due to being squeezed out for Kelly's $ - in which case I would think that they would ensure he gets where he wants to go, therefore being open to accepting slight unders.
Fair enough
I was probably a bit blunt, bit of a chatacter trait at times to communicate as simply and clearly as possible. But it was just my opinion. I overlooked that part, and it is arguably significant. For his sake I would wish an amicable trade. I do believe he's a top ten pick though and that's probably the real difference.

If he could kick for goal as well as he executes his field kicking, and he's a great field kick so I think he will, then he's a very important player.

Fair enough
I was probably a bit blunt, bit of a chatacter trait at times to communicate as simply and clearly as possible. But it was just my opinion. I overlooked that part, and it is arguably significant. For his sake I would wish an amicable trade. I do believe he's a top ten pick though and that's probably the real difference.

If he could kick for goal as well as he executes his field kicking, and he's a great field kick so I think he will, then he's a very important player.
I have no problem with honest, blunt discussion. Our difference would be where we rate him - I just don't have him that high.

Hi guys sorry to intrude just had a question - If Kelly does re-sign with the club do you think you would be open to a trade for both Dev and Hopper to Geelong?

Would this get the deal done ?
Pick 20 (or whatever that Carlton Pick ends up being)
Geelong current 2nd round pick
Geelong 2018 1st rounder be enough ?

Hi guys sorry to intrude just had a question - If Kelly does re-sign with the club do you think you would be open to a trade for both Dev and Hopper to Geelong?

Seems to be a view we might struggle to keep Devon in the manner to which he's entitled to become accustomed, if Kelly stays. Hopper possibly a flight risk. They're both wanted so I wouldn't be counting chickens just yet.
I think the offer mught be fair based on my view Devon is a high first rounder and Hopper possibly second
If we assess your 2018 first round as 12-16 you might need to sweeten it a little.Others will no doubt have a more informed view.

Seems to be a view we might struggle to keep Devon in the manner to which he's entitled to become accustomed, if Kelly stays. Hopper possibly a flight risk. They're both wanted so I wouldn't be counting chickens just yet.
I think the offer mught be fair based on my view Devon is a high first rounder and Hopper possibly second
If we assess your 2018 first round as 12-16 you might need to sweeten it a little.Others will no doubt have a more informed view.

Thanks mate info much appreciated

Pick 20, your current 2nd and next years first?

Where do I sign?

I'd be happy with a first next year and a second this year TBH, mainly because it will get Devon to where he wants to get to be as a form of thankyou for what he did for the club in the early years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back