List Mgmt. 2017 List Management: Contracts, Trading, Drafting, Academy

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
The one unsigned I dont understand is MK. Really cant comprehend what the hold up is.

I think they're still figuring out how much will be left over to offer him.

Yes, similar thoughts on Bam Bam. Plan to keep him (hopefully they've told him that) but depending on who goes they might be able to pay him more $. I would think that Bam Bam is laid back enough to not worry too much. Hopefully. Really can't tell with HH whether it's similar or that he's already told the club he's off anyway.

Here is one from left field.

If Jelly is going which appears increasingly likely, do we make a play for Dusty.

Now before you all start calling for a white truck or padded cell hear me out.

Dusty has shown an interest in coming up previously (albeit before his dad was deported) and he is in the age bracket where he wants a flag.

We could only offer Jelly 800 max which theoretically is too low for Dust particularly as his man Ralph Carr is a proven money man but we probably could offer him a tiered deal going upwards and taking into account likely retirements of Shaw and Mumford who are both on good coin.

Dusty is a free agent so wouldn't cost us anything in terms of a trade so if we managed to get him and 2 first rounders for Jelly it would be a slam dunk.

We have a nice midfield but we don't have a match winner. I would sacrifice a depth midfielder or two to get him in and I reckon he would love the anonymity of Sydney.

He is 26 next year so would have 5 or 6 good years left and we are right in Premiership mode.

Time for a bold move, never know if you don't ask!

In theory, that's fine. But prising a player out of another team generally requires greater coin - hence the $9 million over 9 years offer for Kelly. We're offering substantially less to keep him, and still losing players due to TPP. To get Dusty, you're probably needing to offer $1.2m, which is significantly above Kelly's offer, so that's more than just a fringe mid being lost. The only hope, I think, is if Dusty indeed does want to get out of the Melbourne spotlight. And I agree that we need a top-notch mid in our team - to me though, that's Kelly, if we can manage to keep him. Dusty's good, and he would bring something we don't have. Also, Dusty's only a RFA isn't he? So I think that Richmond will match any offer and force a trade for him. If we could limit that to whatever we receive for Kelly, though, we would probably be satisfied enough. I'm not against it if we lose Kelly, just pragmatic about the barriers.

This is my take on Kelly.

He is like a luxury car, he does everything really well, is an elite runner, an elite kick, has good movement even though not express. He is professional, trains hard and will have a very good career.

But is he a match winner?

Kelly is one of those guys that gets a lot of touches and often you look at the stats at the end of a game and get surprised how many he's had. He gets a lot of give and goes and hand offs but is there hurt factor?

When I go through our year we severely lack a mid who can take charge of a game a bust it up. We have a lot of good extractors that do everything very nicely but Shiel is probably the only one that is explosive.

We're in a really lovely position with depth having guys like Kennedy and Hopper that can slot in when we get an injury but I would trade that plus a Smith to get a match winner like Martin.

We are better placed to do something with Richmond if a trade is required as we have so much currency.

For us we really need to be quite decisive and bold as I fear if we're not we will just be a nice finals team but one without killer punch.

We can do a bit with our cap as I didn't even mention Stevie J and Griffen also nearing the end.

I think if Dusty is thinking of leaving we would be his first pick as we give him everything he is looking for.

Solid rationale there Andre the Giant. I'm a little more positive on Kelly providing more killer outcomes as he gets older - a la Josh Kennedy (Swans) IMHO - but agree with your assessment of Dusty. Two years ago when Dusty was looking at us was probably not the right time for either him or GWS, but perhaps now it is. Personally, I wouldn't ditch Kelly to seek Dusty, but if we lose Kelly then seeking Dusty would be fine (but difficult to achieve). But everyone is entitled to their own view - and the club has the final say anyway!

Love Josh Kelly but he does not have the physical presence of the most influential mids. Judd, Hodge, Ablett, Dangerfield, Bontempelli, Martin, Kennedy. All possess unusual size or speed or both.

Most premiership have at least one midfielder at that level.

Kelly out, Martin in, would move GWS closer to the typical premiership template.

Whether you could make it happen is another question...

Martin in would be amazing. Every vfler would be over the moon if we lose Kellly. But to replace him with Martin? Lol the boards would implode.

I doubt itll happen only because i would hate to be disappointed.

But Martin in with our squad would be a beautiful thing.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk
Not convinced it would be. He's a very good mid but there are still question marks about his character in my view. I'm happy the club would do due diligence in that regard.
If we cant keep Kelly, how the hell would we be able to trade for Martin though?

What about this trade:

Josh Kelly to North Melbourne for their 2017 and 2018 1st round selections and GWS returns 2017 2nd round selection

Dustin Martin to GWS for our 2017 1st rounder (from Nth Melbourne) plus Jacob Hopper

So -

Richmond get 2017 1st rounder from North Melbourne + Jacob Hopper

Nth Melbourne get Josh Kelly and GWS 2017 2nd round selection

GWS get Dustin Martin plus 2018 1st rounder from Nth Melbourne

What about this trade:

Josh Kelly to North Melbourne for their 2017 and 2018 1st round selections and GWS returns 2017 2nd round selection

Dustin Martin to GWS for our 2017 1st rounder (from Nth Melbourne) plus Jacob Hopper

So -

That would be something that seems fair to everyone.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Not convinced it would be. He's a very good mid but there are still question marks about his character in my view. I'm happy the club would do due diligence in that regard.
If we cant keep Kelly, how the hell would we be able to trade for Martin though?

That was more Leon could tell his heart was still with the Tiges at the time.
Fairly certain the door wasnt closed at the time either.
Kelly offers are much higher than what the Martin offers are from what im seeing.
Plus Martin being older he might be more concerned with a shot at a flag.

I doubt there'll be much difference
That was more Leon could tell his heart was still with the Tiges at the time.
Fairly certain the door wasnt closed at the time either.
Kelly offers are much higher than what the Martin offers are from what im seeing.
Plus Martin being older he might be more concerned with a shot at a flag.

I do still question his character though. We'll see. I questioned Heater's to and go t that badly wrong.

Al McConnell said an interesting thing last week at the club. To win premierships, sometimes you need a few scallywags. He said Heater was one and had worked out very well for us. He questioned whether we had enough though. I took it to mean successful teams need a little bit of mongrel and edge. He didn't mention Toby, but he might be included in the sallywag category. Would Dusty be that what the club thinks it needs at the moment? A couple of years ago you wouldn't want him on our young list. Not with Heater there too. I was happy it the courting went nowhere. Now with a more mature list and footy department, it might be a better time to consider Dusty?

Here is one from left field.

If Jelly is going which appears increasingly likely, do we make a play for Dusty.

Now before you all start calling for a white truck or padded cell hear me out.

Dusty has shown an interest in coming up previously (albeit before his dad was deported) and he is in the age bracket where he wants a flag.

We could only offer Jelly 800 max which theoretically is too low for Dust particularly as his man Ralph Carr is a proven money man but we probably could offer him a tiered deal going upwards and taking into account likely retirements of Shaw and Mumford who are both on good coin.

Dusty is a free agent so wouldn't cost us anything in terms of a trade so if we managed to get him and 2 first rounders for Jelly it would be a slam dunk.

We have a nice midfield but we don't have a match winner. I would sacrifice a depth midfielder or two to get him in and I reckon he would love the anonymity of Sydney.

He is 26 next year so would have 5 or 6 good years left and we are right in Premiership mode.

Time for a bold move, never know if you don't ask!

Somehow I think you are all missing the obvious here;

upload_2017-7-10_12-24-35.png

I think you might be conflating what he actually wants to happen versus what the club is planning. AFAIK he isn't a literal embodiment of the club. :D
ba0d046b581a67cdeb1a03e055d4970a.jpg

What about this trade:

So -

That could definitely work.

When this trade stuff started with Kelly, I thought a first and second would be sufficient. Considering our first for this year will be a pick between 2-6 and our second in the early 20s, that may still occur.

In any case, I am sure a fair deal can be made, North is not known for being unfair traders.

Kellys interview after last game was not positive IMO. But I dont see him going to North, they wouldnt be playing things out in the media if they knew they were a chance.

Just on this, we haven't been.

This is my take on Kelly.

He is like a luxury car, he does everything really well, is an elite runner, an elite kick, has good movement even though not express. He is professional, trains hard and will have a very good career.

But is he a match winner?

Kelly is one of those guys that gets a lot of touches and often you look at the stats at the end of a game and get surprised how many he's had. He gets a lot of give and goes and hand offs but is there hurt factor?

When I go through our year we severely lack a mid who can take charge of a game a bust it up. We have a lot of good extractors that do everything very nicely but Shiel is probably the only one that is explosive.

We're in a really lovely position with depth having guys like Kennedy and Hopper that can slot in when we get an injury but I would trade that plus a Smith to get a match winner like Martin.

We are better placed to do something with Richmond if a trade is required as we have so much currency.

For us we really need to be quite decisive and bold as I fear if we're not we will just be a nice finals team but one without killer punch.

We can do a bit with our cap as I didn't even mention Stevie J and Griffen also nearing the end.

I think if Dusty is thinking of leaving we would be his first pick as we give him everything he is looking for.
Yeah. Good take. I think its quite bizzare the reported numbers other clubs are offering for someone who wont break open a game. Hid set shot goalkicking seems poor as well

Yeah. Good take. I think its quite bizzare the reported numbers other clubs are offering for someone who wont break open a game. Hid set shot goalkicking seems poor as well
sounds like "my girlfriend who just left me for another wasn't that good looking after all"
The boy can play, unfortunately IMHO not with the Giants next year!

sounds like "my girlfriend who just left me for another wasn't that good looking after all"
The boy can play, unfortunately IMHO not with the Giants next year!
I'm also a little taken back at how now he might be leaving he isn't as good as he was :p

I'm hoping he stays, but mostly I'm just hoping there is a call made fast as we need to start work on all the other (then more important) dominos

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back