Analysis 2017 List Management Discussion Part II

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Zaka's a seagull. Nice skills and a goal-kicker but one of the most outside players you'll see.

And you can take him out of the game by sticking a close tag on him.
Poster boy for downhill skiers.

Didn't he support north ?

If so I couldn't think of a bigger dream than playing for club you support so you would think they have a chance

I understand the bookies have the NM coach as favourite for the GC job.

Why would you go to a club when you don't even know who your coach will be???

I understand the bookies have the NM coach as favourite for the GC job.

Why would you go to a club when you don't even know who your coach will be???

Wasn't there a short priced fave for the Suns coaching role last time, Eade got the job and he was $31 in the markets.

Intresting convo tonight on , On the couch when asked who is closer to a premiership between us the lions and the filth everyone thought Brisbane was with their spine and overall list depth.
Right now I agree Brisbane have the better list with potentials, however I still think we are 6 to 7 quality players short of being an absolute force.
Thoughts ?

We are as good if not better than Lions and I like Lions list. Our defence is set and elite and we have more too end talent developing. Charlie SPS Pickett Fisher Cuningham Cripps are way ahead of their midfield. McKay will be better than Schache

We are as good if not better than Lions and I like Lions list. Our defence is set and elite and we have more too end talent developing. Charlie SPS Pickett Fisher Cuningham Cripps are way ahead of their midfield. McKay will be better than Schache
Harris Mcstay schache hipwood mcluggage berry witherdan taylor potential elite to A graders But i am more impressed with the depth of the other kids in keays, Matheson,cox, cutler, skinner, gardner, close and mayes.

Once they play enough footy together reckon they will be very good.

However having said that, CHARLIE WEITS Cripps Doc AND SPS will be Elite and are better we will need good depth like the lions have. we are a work in progress .

Interesting, because I feel we have the better young list (23 and under) than Brisbane.
Not that it matters either way, as both lists are good, but the leg-up we have, is that players won't want to leave us.
Recent times have been good to Brisbane in terms of player retention, but they are somewhat hamstrung in that many just don't want to move up there.

Docherty, Cripps, Weitering, CCurnow, Petrevski-Seton and Marchbank either are, or will be stars of the game. 6 Players

Fisher, Williamson, Pickett, Plowman, Byrne, JSilvagni and McKay aren't quite as marketable, but look well on their way to be quality players. 7 Players

Cuningham and Macreadie have shown plenty, but may be slightly below the above group and maybe simply for opportunity. 2 Players

I see 15 players that could all well be part of our best team for years to come.

Harris Mcstay schache hipwood mcluggage berry witherdan taylor potential elite to A graders But i am more impressed with the depth of the other kids in keays, Matheson,cox, cutler, skinner, gardner, close and mayes.

However having said that, CHARLIE WEITS Cripps Doc AND SPS will be Elite and are better we will need good depth like the lions have. we are a work in progress .
Have been saying for a couple of years that Lions have a heap of quality young talls. Adding McCluggage,
Berry, Witherden and Allison to their midfield mix, just confirms the quality of their developing list.
Fagan has been a Bolts mentor pre their Hawthorn days and is an upgrade in the coaching stakes.
Provided the go home factor doesn't rear it's head, they will rise with us.

Any argument as to who is better will have to wait a few years. McStay drafted in 2013 just maturing now,
the output of Charlie, Weits and Marchy has been enormous for 2nd and 3rd year players. Just have to wait
for the ceiling. We CURRENTLY have a list capable of playing finals in 2 years max. If we can trade in some
A graders, we will be made.

But i am more impressed with the depth of the other kids in keays, Matheson,cox, cutler, skinner, gardner, close and mayes .

This is the group I don't think is anywhere as good as ours. Cox is a beauty. Matheson is a hard nut but lacks with ball use. Keays hasn't stood up Yet but has talent.

We have Charlie Fisher Cripps SPS Pickett Byrne etc. I also think Polson will be a star and LeBois will surprise a lot if he can get a big pre season.

This is on top of talls in Weitering McKay Marchbank Kerr Macreadie & Silvagni

If we add Hopper & Balic it will make a big difference again. Then there is pick 4

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Don't be fooled by his smooth running gait, cunners is deceptively quick. From memory he ran a 2.84 over 20m @ the combine which is top end. Pickett was 2.78!
Give Cunners a loose ball and some space around 50 and you ain't catching him. Laser kick for goal too.

That goal against Brisbane was like early Judd.

I shall apologise for the long post now!

Whilst we have had a remarkable year in the development of some of our youth and lesser rated mature players such as Jones, C.Curnow (incredible), SPS, Fisher, Cuningham, Pickett, Williamson, J.Silvagni, ASOS (solid), McKay, Macreadie & Lamb (passable), less has been spoken about how our second-tier players have progressed over the season.

Players I conclude that make up this field are those with over 8 games at VFL level who have struggled to hold their spot in the seniors or haven't made an appearance at all.

Smedts: 8 matches in the AFL where he averaged only 10.4 disposals. In his 8 VFL games he made it into the bests 4 times, playing serviceable on the wing and half forward. Unfortunately his game suffered terribly when asked to play an inside role. Consistency a problem so I see him depth at best but certainly not in the senior 22.

Palmer: Only 1 game at AFL level and it was a shocker. 12 disposal and 1 shot of goal which went out on the full. In the VFL he has made it into the Northern bests 5 times in his 14 games this season and has been a solid accumulator of the pill. He will be lucky not to be de-listed this year and I expect him to play out the majority if not all of next season in the reserves.

Boekhorst: 6 matches at AFL level with an average of 16.2 disposal. I have been particularly impressed by Blaine in the last two games and his VFL form this year has been outstanding. Played 9 VFL games and was in the bests 5 times showing he is a solid contributor, and thus has probably saved his career.

Polson: Not a lot to say about this guy with only 1 game at AFL level where he had the role of running with Sam Powell-Pepper. Added 10 VFL games to his resume and although his form has been highly inconsistent he is showing signs that he's learning. Seems to be playing a negating role on some tough opposition which hopefully will hold him in good steed with his progression.

Sheehan: Struggled at AFL level in his 2 games where he averaged 9.5 disposals. In the VFL though he has played pretty well in most of his 12 games. After an injury plagued career thus far it was promising to see him attack the ball aggressively and stand tall when he needed to. Hope he is offered another year but I can see that his spot might be in jeopardy.

Corringe: Injured all the time and I dare say that his time is up. Will be delisted at seasons end after some very ordinary VFL and development league performances.

Buckley: 1 game in the seniors for a return of 8 disposals. Hasn't fared much better in his 14 matches at VFL level although has done reasonably well defensively whilst also providing some rebound off half back. Torn on this guy but think he may be apart of the cull at seasons end.

Gallucci: Hasn't been able to break into the seniors but has showed some good things at VFL level. Needs to be more consistent and cleaner in his ball use but I can see him being retained for another year.

JGM: Unfortunately for us he seems like a bust. Struggled even in the development league and its clear he lacks aggression and constantly finds himself out of position. I cannot see how he will be retained with the mass of other key defenders that we currently posses.

Jaksch: Not 1 AFL game this season should be of major concern and whilst he is being used at both ends, he still seems a long way off the higher level. In an optimistic approach he did some good moments both in his time up forward and defence for Northern, having games where he kicked 5.2 (Casey) and 4.0 (Geelong). I would like him to be retained and think he will if not solely for depth and his versatility.

Lebois: Crippled by a quad injury at the beginning of the season Lebois has slowly started to build a base towards the end of the VFL season. Very low possession count in his games, so he needs to find more of the pill but is good at harassing opposition defenders and also can cut sides open with his plays into the forward line. I look forward to seeing him next year with another pre-season under his belt.

Sumner: Very underwhelming in both his 4 games at AFL level and his 11 in the VFL. Needs to work on many facets of his game such as working harder at the ball and improving not only his inside and under but also his outside part of his game. Not sure given his year how he stays on the list and therefore may be culled.

Korcheck: The 208cm big man has played 13 games in the VFL this year and whilst not being consistently dominant has showed positive signs including a 43 hitouts game against Casey. He needs to work on his athleticism as well as his consistency and seems to often find it hard to adapt to certain conditions. More likely than not he will still be on the rookie list next year due to our lack of depth in this area.

Kerr: Played 10 games thus far in the VFL and while not being dominant he has shown us a bit in stages and an unrelenting work ethic. Will build on this year and hopefully will get senior time in 2018.

Cheers for reading

Intresting convo tonight on , On the couch when asked who is closer to a premiership between us the lions and the filth everyone thought Brisbane was with their spine and overall list depth.
Right now I agree Brisbane have the better list with potentials, however I still think we are 6 to 7 quality players short of being an absolute force.
Thoughts ?

Im really impressed with the Lions and only see them ahead of us in the fact that Hipwood and Schache have been able to play more games than Mckay. Our list is coming along really well and with FA a team can very quickly go from mid table to top end. This trade period, who we get and who we lose will go a long way in deciding who is ahead of who.

We speak about SOS' connection with GWS in helping to lure players, and recently Eade has been mentioned as a possibility to lure GCS players.

Is it strange that no Hawks players have come across?

Not yet, at the end of last year a few Haks moved on, both guys moved to clubs who they thought would challenge for finals. If i was a Hawk player i wouldn't of come to us.
There were rumours that Hodge would be involved at our club next year in some capacity.

I shall apologise for the long post now!

Whilst we have had a remarkable year in the development of some of our youth and lesser rated mature players such as Jones, C.Curnow (incredible), SPS, Fisher, Cuningham, Pickett, Williamson, J.Silvagni, ASOS (solid), McKay, Macreadie & Lamb (passable), less has been spoken about how our second-tier players have progressed over the season.

Players I conclude that make up this field are those with over 8 games at VFL level who have struggled to hold their spot in the seniors or haven't made an appearance at all.

Smedts: 8 matches in the AFL where he averaged only 10.4 disposals. In his 8 VFL games he made it into the bests 4 times, playing serviceable on the wing and half forward. Unfortunately his game suffered terribly when asked to play an inside role. Consistency a problem so I see him depth at best but certainly not in the senior 22.

Palmer: Only 1 game at AFL level and it was a shocker. 12 disposal and 1 shot of goal which went out on the full. In the VFL he has made it into the Northern bests 5 times in his 14 games this season and has been a solid accumulator of the pill. He will be lucky not to be de-listed this year and I expect him to play out the majority if not all of next season in the reserves.

Boekhorst: 6 matches at AFL level with an average of 16.2 disposal. I have been particularly impressed by Blaine in the last two games and his VFL form this year has been outstanding. Played 9 VFL games and was in the bests 5 times showing he is a solid contributor, and thus has probably saved his career.

Polson: Not a lot to say about this guy with only 1 game at AFL level where he had the role of running with Sam Powell-Pepper. Added 10 VFL games to his resume and although his form has been highly inconsistent he is showing signs that he's learning. Seems to be playing a negating role on some tough opposition which hopefully will hold him in good steed with his progression.

Sheehan: Struggled at AFL level in his 2 games where he averaged 9.5 disposals. In the VFL though he has played pretty well in most of his 12 games. After an injury plagued career thus far it was promising to see him attack the ball aggressively and stand tall when he needed to. Hope he is offered another year but I can see that his spot might be in jeopardy.

Corringe: Injured all the time and I dare say that his time is up. Will be delisted at seasons end after some very ordinary VFL and development league performances.

Buckley: 1 game in the seniors for a return of 8 disposals. Hasn't fared much better in his 14 matches at VFL level although has done reasonably well defensively whilst also providing some rebound off half back. Torn on this guy but think he may be apart of the cull at seasons end.

Gallucci: Hasn't been able to break into the seniors but has showed some good things at VFL level. Needs to be more consistent and cleaner in his ball use but I can see him being retained for another year.

JGM: Unfortunately for us he seems like a bust. Struggled even in the development league and its clear he lacks aggression and constantly finds himself out of position. I cannot see how he will be retained with the mass of other key defenders that we currently posses.

Jaksch: Not 1 AFL game this season should be of major concern and whilst he is being used at both ends, he still seems a long way off the higher level. In an optimistic approach he did some good moments both in his time up forward and defence for Northern, having games where he kicked 5.2 (Casey) and 4.0 (Geelong). I would like him to be retained and think he will if not solely for depth and his versatility.

Lebois: Crippled by a quad injury at the beginning of the season Lebois has slowly started to build a base towards the end of the VFL season. Very low possession count in his games, so he needs to find more of the pill but is good at harassing opposition defenders and also can cut sides open with his plays into the forward line. I look forward to seeing him next year with another pre-season under his belt.

Sumner: Very underwhelming in both his 4 games at AFL level and his 11 in the VFL. Needs to work on many facets of his game such as working harder at the ball and improving not only his inside and under but also his outside part of his game. Not sure given his year how he stays on the list and therefore may be culled.

Korcheck: The 208cm big man has played 13 games in the VFL this year and whilst not being consistently dominant has showed positive signs including a 43 hitouts game against Casey. He needs to work on his athleticism as well as his consistency and seems to often find it hard to adapt to certain conditions. More likely than not he will still be on the rookie list next year due to our lack of depth in this area.

Kerr: Played 10 games thus far in the VFL and while not being dominant he has shown us a bit in stages and an unrelenting work ethic. Will build on this year and hopefully will get senior time in 2018.

Cheers for reading

Split your paragraphs next time, otherwise good post.

I will give them this- they sure know how to pick elite young talent. All the more impressive given the players that have chosen to leave- our own Docherty being one of them. It could get scary if their coaching matches their potential

Last edited:
Interesting, because I feel we have the better young list (23 and under) than Brisbane.
Not that it matters either way, as both lists are good, but the leg-up we have, is that players won't want to leave us.
Recent times have been good to Brisbane in terms of player retention, but they are somewhat hamstrung in that many just don't want to move up there.

Docherty, Cripps, Weitering, CCurnow, Petrevski-Seton and Marchbank either are, or will be stars of the game. 6 Players

Fisher, Williamson, Pickett, Plowman, Byrne, JSilvagni and McKay aren't quite as marketable, but look well on their way to be quality players. 7 Players

Cuningham and Macreadie have shown plenty, but may be slightly below the above group and maybe simply for opportunity. 2 Players

I see 15 players that could all well be part of our best team for years to come.

When asked to compare the young talent on the Lions list with ours I look at the 20 and under set. I look at only those who have actually played at least a game at the level. It is an arbitrary line but, by and large (J. Pickett being an obvious exception) once a player has reached 21 the player should be 90% the player they will be.

The Lions have 12 players on their list 20 or under who have played AFL. Of those 12 I am prepared to admit Allison, Andrews, Berry, Cox, Hipwood, Mathieson, McLuggage and Witherden have all shown there is no obvious reason why they will not be playing good footy for the next 10 years. That is 3 mids, I KPD, 1 KPF and 3 utilities, a very nice balance. Schache is a young tall and they do take time but there are obvious concerns about him making the grade. I don't think Ben Keays has done enough in his 26 games to show he is really at the level and Sam Skinner (1 game), Rueben Williams (3) are unknown to me.

Of the Blues I expect Cuningham, Curnow, Fisher, Macreadie, Marchbank, McKay, SPS, SOJ, Weitering and Williamson to be playing good footy for the next 10 years. That gives us 3 KPD, 2 KPF, 3 mids and 2 utilities (SOJ and Williamson - who may become a mid). We are not as well balanced because with Jones and Plowman we already have 2 KPDs that have 5 years of good footy in them (if Jones retains his amazing form). Polson has played only 1 game and whilst Soapy might be right that he (and Lebois with a full preseason etc etc) will be stars, he has not shown anything at the level to have any confidence they will be around for the next 10 years. Whilst McKay has only played 2 games without getting much of the ball, I am convinced he will be very good long term. Playing on the BB forward line is a graveyard for big stats. He has kicked 3 goals and is already our leading goal scorer on average per game over his career (and second only to Caz this season). I also note McKay can move, recording a top speed of 32.2 kph in his second game, against Geelong (and 4th fastest on the ground).

I think their 3 mids might have a bit more upside in that McL, Witherden and SPS might all become A graders whilst Mathieson, Fisher and Cuners are likely B graders.

Hipwood has proven he will be a gun forward and is ahead of McKay. His top speed against us was 32.8 kph so he can move very quickly too. Accepting that, McKay's stats on footwire compare very nicely with Hipwoods. There is no reason why McKay's past 2 seasons of injury interruption should continue and, indeed, he has the bigger body of the 2 very tall forwards which might protect him longer term from the crash and bash. And then we have Charlie, who if not the Rising Star this year will be a star in years to come up forward, in the midfield, in defence and around the ground (a la Kouta circa 1999 PF v Ess).

For tall defenders Andrews is very promising but not any more promising than Weiters or Marchbank and they have shown more at this stage.

Allison, Berry and Cox are promising but so are SOJ, Williamson and Macreadie (who has the speed to play in a variety of positions). It is easy to forget that Macreadie is 196 cm and yet has played 8 games in his debut season, never looking out of place. Not easy to do. Massive upside. Likewise Williamson has made himself a permanent member of the team still aged only 18 and with massive upside with his speed, endurance and disposal skill.

So, as good as the cubs are, I still rate the blue babies ahead of them both in quantity and quality. Sure, for team success we will need more quality mids. But we already knew that. Now where is Josh Kelly and Hopper?

Both Brisbane and our kids are looking good and it is probably a flip of the coin of who's turn out better. What will seperate us in the future will be who can bring in the best talent over the next couple of years probably not what is already there

...........which group of players is more invested in team ethics and standards.

Talent is great but a group buy-in takes you up another level.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back