2017 Non Crows AFL Discussion Thread part 2

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hey Rucci.... imagine an AFL without port
3d7376338037fb93c453ecfb3db81e82.jpg

No idea but the players should know by now that the first whistle they blow is always to hurry it up. I don't think they blow the whistle when they call play on either right? which is stupid because the player standing the mark always seems to take afew seconds to realise it's play on

The whistle has never been blown for a play on call because both of the umpire's arms are up in the air to signal play on. It's been that way for decades. The move the ball on call has been in for the past couple of years, enough time for players, coaches and commentators alike to figure it out I would have thought.

The whistle has never been blown for a play on call because both of the umpire's arms are up in the air to signal play on. It's been that way for decades. The move the ball on call has been in for the past couple of years, enough time for players, coaches and commentators alike to figure it out I would have thought.

Which means it was just a massive brain fart buy Easton wood, but do you think the media this week will ever acknowledge that?

Aren't we a "franchise"? o_O

Every club is a franchise but regardless... at least our club represents a football-mad city and has a loyal, stable supporter base and we have now grown our own club culture and history. GWS are in a state that will never truly give a s**t about AFL and will always need to be propped up with some sort of AFL-assistance whether via handouts / draft concessions or academies. (See Sydney - decades on and still no one cares about them there unless they are top 2 with AFL assistance). Heck, even their name is a fake "catch all" name in an all to obvious attempt to cast the net over a huge geographic area.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I attended the Manuka game tonight and it was very enjoyable. It wasn't cold until I had to walk to the car: in fact, I saw one kid walking around tucking into a huge ice-cream!

I didn't really care who won, but it was great to see the Dogs beaten, even though the umps ignored all of their blatant throws, and Toby hit in the head. Basically, the story of the match was pretty simple. GWS won because they are capable of stunningly smooth overlap running down the length of the ground. They were allowed to do this just enough to win (not very often). The Dogs, on the other hand are basically, as their name implies, a chaotic, dogged and lucky team who rely on wearing the oppo down, and they nearly did it again.

If GWS are given space, their precision will kill you, but, if you apply pressure, they can fold as badly as anyone: their kicking goes right off and their game becomes as chaotic as the Dogs'. I guess we demonstrated this in round one.

Fair enough i guess I've just never heard that before, Leroy's way better for a nickname though
'Jerka' Jenkin was the player Alex Jesaulenko took that screamer over

Every club is a franchise but regardless... at least our club represents a football-mad city and has a loyal, stable supporter base and we have now grown our own club culture and history. GWS are in a state that will never truly give a s**t about AFL and will always need to be propped up with some sort of AFL-assistance whether via handouts / draft concessions or academies. (See Sydney - decades on and still no one cares about them there unless they are top 2 with AFL assistance). Heck, even their name is a fake "catch all" name in an all to obvious attempt to cast the net over a huge geographic area.
you just had to stop there. There's no argument. We are ALL franchises. Shits me to tears when one of us have a go at GWS for that. Be pissed off with the AFL for providing all the things necessary to help them succeed in a rugby stronghold. But don't have a go at them for being essentially what we are.

Anyone else think Bulldogs are jumping the shark with their run through banners?

Maybe consider first that the Bulldogs are copying us? We had the first cheersquad to start doing that as it saves money because the banner can be re-used for about three games. We only have the single split, while the Bulldogs have the 'car wash' look going on in theirs.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back