2017 Non Crows AFL Discussion Thread - Part III

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Was interesting to hear Port are looking to sign all their name out of contract players. For 3 seasons these players haven't got the job done. Why on earth wouldn't you want to make changes. Its the one thing American sports do better than us, they trade out players who aren't getting the job done far quicker regardless of status.
Because "Destination Club" is the one thing they have over us...

It may be poor list management, but at least their Lemming supporters can puff out their chests and say "We don't lose players".....

I am almost certain that is the only reason they actively want to keep Trengove and Pittard.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

North are the only team we've played and not beaten at least once, so maybe Dermie thinks they are the best team? :drunk: Still haven't played WCE or Sydney
We've lost once in Victoria this year, to Geelong in Geelong, so nope, that's wrong too.
Aaand for the trifecta, playing teams like the bombers that don't defend is exactly what we'd prefer.
Maybe he thinks it's 1991 still?

Also we are ranked #1 for contested possession so they were having a deadset mare
The guys who provide decent analysis, On the Couch, have been raving about us at various stages. Robbo does too at some stages but they pander to their majority, which is fine.

I remember when many in here were lauding Port too at that time. Saying we should be more like them. It's a little hilarious to be honest.
True that Jen !

I've been here since 2007 ( my first foray was regarding trading Scott Welsh) and in all that time I have never ... never ever .... wanted to be anything like Port

This whole giving away of tickets and memberships epitomizes them exactly

Frontrunning supporters and spending money on garbage like China ..... flogs - the lot of them

Yeah, I thought League Teams assessment of us was quite surreal and they massively overrate the Bombers for reasons best know to themselves. This is a team that struggled against Carlton and are sitting 8th only because West Coast keep going potty in the bed in the last quarter against average teams.

Adelaide are only top because the comp is a low standard as well. I disagree, the standard is the same but more evenly spread. Carlton, Freo, Brisbane and North have all beaten good teams this year.

They didn't watch the showdown and just guessed "Port were bad"

Any team with a Dream draw and an equally Dream run of injuries would be top

5th shows just how weak they are

North are the only team we've played and not beaten at least once, so maybe Dermie thinks they are the best team? :drunk: Still haven't played WCE or Sydney
We've lost once in Victoria this year, to Geelong in Geelong, so nope, that's wrong too.
Aaand for the trifecta, playing teams like the bombers that don't defend is exactly what we'd prefer.

Also we are ranked #1 for contested possession so they were having a deadset mare
We've beaten every other team in the comp this year so far

I realized that the other day too ...
Norf !!
( oh and Sydney to be played yet )
But seriously

Norf !!!!

Ollie wines 97Kg (NINETY SEVEN for a midfielder!!!!)

Bloody hell!

Edit: just put his height and weight into the Victorian Government BMI calculator, and he is 'Obese'. To be fair, a lot of doctors call it the 'Bullshit Mass Index' and most AFL KPPs are in the Overweight category when you punch in their height&weight. Still ... he is an elite athlete and is obese.

Last edited:
I was watching League Teams last night and they were doing the Collingwood Port Game and they showed the weight of Ports midfielders compared to Adelaide's.

I think I can see why we outworked and outrun Port.

Brad Ebert 89Kg
Travis Boak 85Kg
Robbie Gray 87Kg

Brad Crouch 88Kg
Rory Sloane 79Kg
Richard Douglas 80Kg
Matt Crouch 78Kg

Is it me or are they all 5Kegs overweight? That must have an affect on their running capacity.
Brad Crouch easily outran all of those guys and he's about the same weight.
They just didn't want to

Contested possession differential is the better measure to use to determine who is the better contested possession side.

The contested possession total just means that we play a more contested possession game style (i.e. longer kicks to a contested situation, rather than chipping the ball around and playing keepings off).

In terms of contested possession differential we are 4th. The order is:

Magpies +8.1
Cats +7.6
Giants +6.1
Crows +5.5
Demons +4.1
Power +4.1
Swans +3.6
Bulldogs +3.5
Saints +2
Blues +1.7
Bombers -0.4
Suns -0.4
Tigers -1.2
Kangaroos -7.2
Eagles -7.4
Hawks -8.8
Dockers -9.7
Lions -11.2

So we average 5.5 more contested disposals than our opponent. We got a massive boost to our CP differential due the game on the weekend.

Going into that game, our CP differential was only +3.1, which would put us in 9th spot on this list. Funnily enough, Port was +6.5 going into the game, so their loss was definitely our gain! :D

Edit: I should add that Essendon are clearly a lot worse in terms of CP differential and Merrett (who is suspended) is their 2nd best contested possession winner, so I expect us to do very well in that area against Essendon.

Bloody hell!

Edit: just put his height and weight into the Victorian Government BMI calculator, and he is 'Obese'. To be fair, a lot of doctors call it the 'Bullshit Mass Index' and most AFL KPPs are in the Overweight category when you punch in their height&weight. Still ... he is an elite athlete and is obese.
BMI is useless when using it on people with significant muscle mass.

Most footballers would be considered overweight at worst by BMI as muscle weighs more than fat.

I was watching League Teams last night and they were doing the Collingwood Port Game and they showed the weight of Ports midfielders compared to Adelaide's.

I think I can see why we outworked and outrun Port.

Brad Ebert 89Kg
Travis Boak 85Kg
Robbie Gray 87Kg

Brad Crouch 88Kg
Rory Sloane 79Kg
Richard Douglas 80Kg
Matt Crouch 78Kg

Is it me or are they all 5Kegs overweight? That must have an affect on their running capacity.
Not sure where they got their stats, but no way Matt and Rory are under 80 and Gray is nearly 90

(Log in to remove this ad.)

AFL360 was a tough slog last night. Gerard's favourite player got half the show... The entertainer of his generation? Loved by everyone?

Then they say Danger has emphatically confirmed that he will present the Brownlow only to hear him say 'at this stage' several times in a 30 sec grab!

Then League Teams had the group led by Dermott that Adelaide might be top, but that doesn't make them the best team. Essendon should beat them as Adelaide struggle playing in Victoria, and are hugely vulnerable to teams like the bombers.

Roos thought us winning the contested possession count in the showdown was an anomoly, instead the game we lost it being the stranger one.

Fair to say these guys just don't follow Adelaide during the season?

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

Nah, you just need to listen differently. When they start discounting us, we can't win, we're overrated, we're easy to beat, we can't win in Victoria and we're lucky to win by 84 points against the side currently fifth ... it's not disrespect.

It's fear.

Anyone see cockrucci's article regarding Jabe Watson in the Tiser?

"Someone needs to be accountable for Jabe's loss of love for the game.... " [Paraphrasing]

Ahh that would be Jabe who agreed to take the drugs...? FMD. Let's blame everyone else.

Then he later went on to use a game v Crows in 2012 to illustrate Jabe's passion/love of the game. How he never gave up in that game and showed a younger 22 yo Sloane and Danger what an elite player was like.... Ah I'm pretty sure he was showing what a player on drugs plays like and should never be used as an example to any player, especially younger.

Apparently Jabe didn't deserve a love sapping end to his footy career...

Very bizarre article. (which I guess is his MO)

Bloody hell!

Massive quads, and a square head, but the dude is seriously ripped. No issue of extra cushion, just a lot of muscle in the legs.

Massive quads, and a square head, but the dude is seriously ripped. No issue of extra cushion, just a lot of muscle in the legs.
Ollie reminds me of that big guy in Once We Were Warriors who Jake belts up.

"Too much weights, not enough speedwork"

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

98 kgs of pure awesome.

I thought it was hilarious when Wines posted a photo that said, "genetically gifted".

Pretty sure that most football players who spend upwards of 20 hours+ in the gym each week, all look like that.

The problem for him being so heavy is that when he retires he's going to still have to spend that amount of the time in the gym still or will end up being the next Stewie Dew

I thought it was hilarious when Wines posted a photo that said, "genetically gifted".

Pretty sure that most football players who spend upwards of 20 hours+ in the gym each week, all look like that.

The problem for him being so heavy is that when he retires he's going to still have to spend that amount of the time in the gym still or will end up being the next Stewie Dew
Tex or Wines?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back