2017 Non Crows AFL Discussion Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Perhaps it's due to that old Chinese business tradition, where you must give before you can receive.

Port had to "give" themselves 30k followers before they could receive followers.

OK.. how do they lose 7 per day, if they were purchased in batches of 100?

Surely all of the subscribers purchased on any given day would expire at the same time?

no, purchased subscribers are real accounts made by bots or sweat shop workers. They create an account, log in, click follow, log out, create another account, log on, click follow, log out repeat, repeat, repeat. The decline can be from those accounts slowly getting removed from the site by weibo as they detect them to be fake, or it could be real people who were tricked into signing on to an account that looked popular but have found out it's not to their interests.

OK.. how do they lose 7 per day, if they were purchased in batches of 100?

Surely all of the subscribers purchased on any given day would expire at the same time?
I don't think they would expire, you'd purchase them to follow you and they remain following.

The drop would either be from the few real followers, or perhaps fake accounts getting banned as they're discovered.

no, purchased subscribers are real accounts made by bots or sweat shop workers. They create an account, log in, click follow, log out, create another account, log on, click follow, log out repeat, repeat, repeat. The decline can be from those accounts slowly getting removed from the site by weibo as they detect them to be fake, or it could be real people who were tricked into signing on to an account that looked popular but have found out it's not to their interests.
wait, Pdub are you saying these followers are like rent-a-crowd? Has someone really paid them to follow?

Well since China doesn't really use Twitter but Weibo you're gonna be hard pressed to find any increase.

Nah, it's because not many people use Weibo in China - it's more WeChat and QQ these days.

rVQogAx.gif

They don't use Twitter at all. They use Weibo.

But for social interaction, a lot of people also use WeChat.

It's like saying a lot of people these days use Instagram instead of Facebook.

They don't use Twitter at all. They use Weibo.

But for social interaction, a lot of people also use WeChat.

It's like saying a lot of people these days use Instagram instead of Facebook.
Does it even matter what platform it is when the followers are fake?

wait, Pdub are you saying these followers are like rent-a-crowd? Has someone really paid them to follow?

They're not people, a company makes 1000s of fake accounts and then uses these fake accounts to log on and follow the page that has paid them for a certain amount of followers over a set amount of time. The link niximus posted offers 1000 followers for $5us. So Port would have spent about $150 of Mr Gui's money to make their account look popular.

If Port have bought followers for their Chinese social media accounts, I wonder if they did the same for their Australian social media accounts.

Artificially inflated membership counts?

So, Janus , do you like apples?

What's your heat map on these 'allegations'

this is a graph of followers on the PPFC AHKARC weibo account, this is exactly what it looks like when an account is buying subscribers, a consistant increase everyday, then nothing once they have given the purchased amount.

View attachment 339272

I got this by siging up to a free trial of http://beta.weibostats.com/

Janus are you able to explain this robotic subscriber growth as a quirk in chinese culture?​

Also zooming in to increase the scale of the straight line after their purchased followers stopped coming in on the 1st of feb it looks like this

View attachment 339293

So they increased by almost exactly 100 subscribers per day until Feb 1st, since then they have been losing about 7 per day

Mr Gui gives them a few million dollars to spend in China. Port use it to buy fake Chinese.

Does it even matter what platform it is when the followers are fake?

They're not people, a company makes 1000s of fake accounts and then uses these fake accounts to log on and follow the page that has paid them for a certain amount of followers over a set amount of time. The link niximus posted offers 1000 followers for $5us. So Port would have spent about $150 of Mr Gui's money to make their account look popular.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The sanction against the Club is a fine of $20,000, with $10,000 suspended, for failing to keep and maintain a complete, accurate and up-to-date Register of Controlled Treatments in the AFL’s Controlled Treatments Register.

In this case, the AFL notes that the Club Doctor maintained his own thorough medical records of treatments legitimately provided to players. However, Clubs must also maintain such records on the Controlled Treatments Register database to enable the AFL to proactively monitor industry trends and target test players as required.

The AFL took into account that the Club’s failure in this case was an oversight during an intense pre-and-post Grand Final period, and that the Club otherwise had excellent medical procedures.

Luke Parker and Lance Franklin were both fined $5000 for failing to complete the required paperwork to record all treatments used by or administered to them on doping control forms at the time of providing a sample. This is not a breach of the WADA Code but is a breach of the AFL’s Treatment Rules, which go above and beyond the WADA Code.

In both cases the players received anti-inflammatory treatment cortisone, a WADA-compliant treatment, but inadvertently failed to declare this as required by the Rules.

Nah, it's because not many people use Weibo in China - it's more WeChat and QQ these days.

Weibo is extremely popular in China, what are you on about?

It's one of the most popular websites on the entire internet

(They have 300+ million monthly active users and 130+ million daily active users, nearly all of whom are Chinese. They also posted record profit this last quarter)

Last edited:
So, Janus , do you like apples?

What's your heat map on these 'allegations'

Here's my response:

1a283f854769d8642028832e5bbba910.png

a8e4b52569d1f4d838c46658fde1d3e3.png

Three times the reach (unique users) on Twitter.

So I'll ask again: how do you like them apples? :D

Weibo is extremely popular in China, what are you on about?

It's one of the most popular websites on the entire internet

Sigh.

I never said that people don't use it. I've gone over this - it's like comparing Facebook to Instagram. Most people are on their phones more on WeChat - which is a phone app - than they are on their computers on Weibo.

Travis Auld said in his interview on 5AA that there is an agreement between both clubs and that the AFL doesn't get involved in that. You think he's talking out of his butt?

It's all a setup, just like when Eddie McGuire makes a song and dance about us wearing the prison bars in heritage round - which we've always managed to do.

You know we control the match day setup right? That at the ground it's considered our home game? No matter what the AFL says in the fixture about a Gold Coast home game, it will be Port Adelaide membership tents, the Game Day village, Port Adelaide branding, Port Adelaide getting all the revenue from advertising, NTUA etc.

We also control messaging in the Chinese broadcast since we are the ones who signed the initial contract with CCTV. Everything in China is about promoting Port Adelaide. Why do you think Sally Zou from AusGold decided to sponsor us after seeing a game broadcast in China?

So I wouldn't worry about us being 'played'.

You do realise that you can control the message all you like in your own programming in China but it won't take much for the Chinese media to realise Port Adelaide is a dead brand that offers them nothing and they are not bound to show the tripe on Chinese TV. Gold Coast on the other hand, offers potential sponsors a growth market and access to the coveted and profitable eastern seaboard. I can see Gold Coast getting the nod as the premier Chinese partner. This is what the AFL would also want so it stands to reason Port will get dropped like a hot potato out of China once their playing contracts are up. Chinese businessman are no fools and world renowned as some of the worst people to do business with.

Here's my response:

1a283f854769d8642028832e5bbba910.png

a8e4b52569d1f4d838c46658fde1d3e3.png

Three times the reach (unique users) on Twitter.

So I'll ask again: how do you like them apples? :D

Sigh.

I never said that people don't use it. I've gone over this - it's like comparing Facebook to Instagram. Most people are on their phones more on WeChat - which is a phone app - than they are on their computers on Weibo.

High numbers does not dispute buying followers, this is like Essendon supporters claiming they can't be drug cheats because they were winning.

It's also only data from the last 4 days.

But what you've posted is just a hashtag, not the actual reach of the account or discussions about the account. It can simply be traced back to the kid from that at sunset band regularly using the hash tag. where-as high follower people who regularly tweet about the crows like patty mills not using the tag.

You would see this if you scrolled down the page a bit further.

Last edited:
What happens if we want to start a Hong Kong and Australian Rugby Club on weibo? They've already taken our name, they should be the 'Port Adelaide Hong Kong and Australian Rugby Club'.

Once again proving they want to be us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back