MFC Fans Only 2018/2019 Summer Sports Talk

Remove this Banner Ad

288 was enough last game, but your not going to have sides 3/4 to often. I think the slow start from openers and losing 4 quick wickets at the end cost us 20-30 runs. Also the bowlers as a group were not damaging enough.

At least our last 3 one dayers we have made over 280 each time, something we’ve struggled to do over the past 18 months.

The 280 scores feel a little Paul Roosysh to me. Basically make sure you are in the game first then worry about winning it second. If India wins the toss for the 3rd game they'll be chasing 350

The 280 scores feel a little Paul Roosysh to me. Basically make sure you are in the game first then worry about winning it second. If India wins the toss for the 3rd game they'll be chasing 350

Unfortunately it's just an accurate reflection of where Australian cricket is at the moment. Other teams are just better.

Unfortunately it's just an accurate reflection of where Australian cricket is at the moment. Other teams are just better.

Yeah that's fair. Now literally anyone who's <23 with an average over 25 in first class cricket is a promising superstar. I really think if CA doesn't get it right in the next few years cricket outside the big bash will die off.

Too much American sport available now

Yeah that's fair. Now literally anyone who's <23 with an average over 25 in first class cricket is a promising superstar. I really think if CA doesn't get it right in the next few years cricket outside the big bash will die off.

Too much American sport available now
Well if they serve up t20 games like last nite it won’t last either .

Definitely too much big bash this year, and it seems like the competition doesn't have as many quality imports and the last 1.5weeks the competition has lost the best local players to Australia.

Definitely too much big bash this year, and it seems like the competition doesn't have as many quality imports and the last 1.5weeks the competition has lost the best local players to Australia.

Tells you something about the Big Bash that the superstar Windies players mostly decided to play in Bangladesh instead of Aus.

Tells you something about the Big Bash that the superstar Windies players mostly decided to play in Bangladesh instead of Aus.

Yup. Goes too long and pays too little.

I'd love to see it treated as the fireworks finale to finish the summer. Start it after the tests are finished (allowing the Shield season to run all the way through) and run for less than a month. Short, sharp, have the best Australians available and perhaps then players from the touring team would also be available to play giving a better product with a deeper pool of quality players.

I know that this doesn't work to maximise attendance with school holidays but I think it would lead to better cricket which in turn would increase what seems to be declining interest.

Cricket aus hasn't been impressed with the standard of the Gabba in recent times, hence why they took the test off them. I'd imagine the relationship will be a little frosty after the gabba's power outage tonight

Yup. Goes too long and pays too little.

I'd love to see it treated as the fireworks finale to finish the summer. Start it after the tests are finished (allowing the Shield season to run all the way through) and run for less than a month. Short, sharp, have the best Australians available and perhaps then players from the touring team would also be available to play giving a better product with a deeper pool of quality players.

I know that this doesn't work to maximise attendance with school holidays but I think it would lead to better cricket which in turn would increase what seems to be declining interest.

They don't give a * about the standard of cricket as long as someone is watching it

I know he has his issues with his front leg but geez watto can make batting look easy sometimes.

Had the narrative around his career been different he would probably have been remembered differently.

Instead of being anointed as the superstar all rounder of all time had he just been able to make the side on merit an average of ~30 with bat and ball would be fine. Became quite a crafty bowler to the end.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

After a summer of largely crappy Australian sporting results, we finally have someone succeeding at the highest level - and as a bonus is a top notch human being - yet we'll hear bugger all about his achievement because the media only cover ball sports and dickheads behaving badly.

Toby Price just won the 2019 Dakar Rally, one of the world's most prestigious and toughest races. This is his second win of the event and just to make it even more of a challenge, he did it with a busted wrist.
On the last stage, Price's nearest competitor crashed trying to make up time, Toby went out of his way to stop and check that he was okay.

A special mention also to Ben Young and James Alistair Ferguson on both completing the race as rookies.

I swear the DRS has a BCCI setting, so many 50/50 calls against us this summer.

That Rohit appeal was out, umpires call is rediculous, if it’s clipping the stumps it still hitting them.

They will have to start caring soon as people are already tuning out.

Cricket Australia are ruining the big bash quickly. They want to expand to 10 teams as well but we already have grade cricketers playing now to fill out 8 teams. You compare this to the IPL where only the best Indian cricketers get a game.

It should be cut back to 6 teams playing 10 matches each, played over 4 weeks in January. Play all your international cricket in November, December , and February .

Not only is batting and bowling poor, our fielding is as bad as I have seen. Maxwell dropping a sitter, two missed run outs.

This is at least enjoyable too see a battle between bar and ball. The batsmen at least have to earn their runs.

Cricket Australia are ruining the big bash quickly. They want to expand to 10 teams as well but we already have grade cricketers playing now to fill out 8 teams. You compare this to the IPL where only the best Indian cricketers get a game.

It should be cut back to 6 teams playing 10 matches each, played over 4 weeks in January. Play all your international cricket in November, December , and February .

I agree except for the six teams. Add the players back in from the national team and hopefully higher quality imports with a shorter series and it can return to a higher quality quite quickly with the eight team format.

Death bowling, love it.

Finch: ‘How can we ensure India get the required runs?’
Stoinis and Siddle: ‘Bowl to where there is no fielders, or wides!’
Finch: ‘brilliant!’

Wrong approach almost every ball in the last few overs.

Hadnt actually caught up with much of Pattersons career. To me he looks exactly the same as all our other batsmen who average in the 30s in FC cricket which is capable of playing shots but with obvious technical faults. He has very little foot movement and was playing miles away from his body on the offside. Looked great while he's clearly in form but I don't see him being able to grind out scores when he isn't.

Someone like Katich or Rogers could come to the crease out of form but grind out a 50. I don't see anyone outside of Renshaw capable of doing this. Harris maybe but even he looks like he copied warners offside play.

In saying that it's pretty silly he can't play against Sri Lanka now, reguardless of technique surely if you are trying out middle order batsmen you would atleast pick them in form.

Hadnt actually caught up with much of Pattersons career. To me he looks exactly the same as all our other batsmen who average in the 30s in FC cricket which is capable of playing shots but with obvious technical faults. He has very little foot movement and was playing miles away from his body on the offside. Looked great while he's clearly in form but I don't see him being able to grind out scores when he isn't.

I've seen a bit of him and that's a pretty fair assessment - maybe Khawaja was his batting mentor at NSW. His footwork isn't great, still wafts at wide ones and he has a pretty heavy bottom hand. Another one who doesn't convert starts in to big scores. Hit a ton in his first dig for NSW at 18 and has 5 centuries in the next 102 innings. Could be a bit of self-imposed pressure and expectation from having burst on to the scene like that, but it was 7 years ago. Saying that, in his last 6 long-format games, he has 3 tons and 3 half-centuries batting at #3 or #4, so has more of an argument to be near the side than the likes of Labuschagne. We're well into picking the best of a bad bunch territory.

Could do a job against a weak Sri Lanka side but I wouldn't want to see him up against England in England or that South African attack. Jimmy Anderson would terrorize him over there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back