2018 Carlton AFLW List

Remove this Banner Ad

Too much talent was let go imo in the off season. Jakobsen is still a kid and looked so strong up forward. Also Bella Ayre was one of the best ruck forwards in the comp (again very young). Obviously Stevens is a good get and Harris is also good (but overrated like Hope imo) but I feel as though we 're at an immediate loss especially when you add exon.

I guess only time will tell but when injuries are in abundance in this league and depth is more important than star power I feel is though we made an error trading out 3 certified aflw players for 2.

Too much talent was let go imo in the off season. Jakobsen is still a kid and looked so strong up forward. Also Bella Ayre was one of the best ruck forwards in the comp (again very young). Obviously Stevens is a good get and Harris is also good (but overrated like Hope imo) but I feel as though we 're at an immediate loss especially when you add exon.

I guess only time will tell but when injuries are in abundance in this league and depth is more important than star power I feel is though we made an error trading out 3 certified aflw players for 2.
Ayre wasn't a ruck/forward for us, and Jakobssen was replaced with one of the premiere KPFs of the competition. That being said, did we lose a ruck? Certainly not in trades.

Exon has been replaced both in the short and long term as well, and her kicking skills were not great.

The heavy trading was short term. The playing lists are going to go through a shake up in 2019 and 2020 as new teams are added, we want a premiership now, see who we can retain for the next two years as we are forced to give up players and then maybe we can lure some of those players back in the future.

Ayre wasn't a ruck/forward for us, and Jakobssen was replaced with one of the premiere KPFs of the competition. That being said, did we lose a ruck? Certainly not in trades.

Exon has been replaced both in the short and long term as well, and her kicking skills were not great.
In relation to Bella, seems as though I was confused with Moody (apologies.)

Bianca kicked the same amount of goals as Harris last season and took more marks playing one less game. Harris wasn't exactly a star last season..

In regards to Exon, not many of them use it better to be fair, only the really good players (e.g. Arnell, Davey etc).

Also just to follow up based on the stats we averaged the 3rd most Marks I50, 1st in average goals per game and 1st in goal accuracy. If it ain't broke don't fix it..

What we really needed was mids (which is what we drafted i guess). I would've loved to see us target someone like Emma Swanson at GWS.

In relation to Bella, seems as though I was confused with Moody (apologies.)

Bianca kicked the same amount of goals as Harris last season and took more marks playing one less game. Harris wasn't exactly a star last season..

In regards to Exon, not many of them use it better to be fair, only the really good players (e.g. Arnell, Davey etc).

Bianca was great but she wasn't a true tall forward. Most of her marks came well up the ground like in a Nick Riewoldt role. Similar marks inside 50 to Harris but Harris took marks just outside 50 rather than well up the ground in a mobile role. Also Harris is #1 in the comp by a street when it came to contested marks and requires a heap of attention. I suspect Vescio is going to have a lot more opportunity with Harris there and considering she won the goalkicking, that is an exciting prospect. Not diminishing Jakobsson at all. They are just different player types.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

According to an AFLW facebook group, from someone whos info generally seems pretty good, Maddison Prespakis has nominated for the draft as Vic metro, meaning Geelong cannot get her, leaving Carlton in the prime spot. Maddison could do a Chloe, and go close to BnF in her first year.

According to an AFLW facebook group, from someone whos info generally seems pretty good, Maddison Prespakis has nominated for the draft as Vic metro, meaning Geelong cannot get her, leaving Carlton in the prime spot. Maddison could do a Chloe, and go close to BnF in her first year.

http://www.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-18/aflw-blues-in-box-seat-to-land-top-prospect

HIGHLY touted prospect Madison Prespakis has nominated for the Melbourne metro portion of the NAB AFL Women's Draft, paving the way for Carlton to select the midfielder at pick three.

Could grab Maddy with our first pick, then trade for Hanks next season if she is willing to return if we do miss out on her this draft period.

Contract are still only 1 year long for the foreseeable future.

Could grab Maddy with our first pick, then trade for Hanks next season if she is willing to return if we do miss out on her this draft period.

Contract are still only 1 year long for the foreseeable future.
My only concern is that while she is elite, Maddy probably doesn't make for a huge point of athletic difference in our midfield on current and foreseeable performance.

However at the top end of this draft, there doesn't seem to be a good pool of elite runners, so you don't turn down a star clearance midfielder that's an elite kick.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back