AFL Club
Geelong
Other Teams
Celtic, West Perth, Glory, S'Roos
225px-Russian_Football_Union.png
V
185px-Spain_National_Football_Team_badge.png

12am July 2 @ Luzhiniki

Strange world cup but that's football. Russia smashed the Saudi's and Egypt and looked a million dollars doing so while the Uruguayans barely scraped by. They then get spanked by the South Americans 3-0 when all they needed was a draw for top spot.

Spain looked great in their first game twice coming from behind and only gave up all three points it seemed from some bad keeping and Ronaldo brilliance. They beat Iran 1-0, then only draw with the bottom placed and already eliminated Moroccans who played the best football in the group thanks to a late offside goal that shouldn't have stood.

Not confident on either side. You don't know which team will turn up from one day to the next. If the Russians get the first goal their home crowd will lift the team even more and the host nation can win. If Spain play their possession, passing game.......

Spain need to stick with Koke or Saul as Busquets' partner in central midfield to solidify the defensive aspect of their game.

I'd also like to see them use Asensio to provide some more directness to their attacks - there's a reason why Isco and Diego Costa were two of their better players in the group stage.

Either way, I'd be surprised if Russia provides too much of a challenge to them in this game

Well done to Russia for keeping up the good recordsfor the host (South Africa was always dire).

It should be noted while they were the lowest ranked team, because of how the FIFA rankings worked, it means Russia were not playing prime qualifier games, while other nations were. (Come on, does anyone seriously believe Finland are better than Russia?)

They're not "Worst team of the tournament" bad like what some people thought. They go alright.

If they get an early one, things could get a bit spicy. But I do expect Spain to easily handle the heat (It is Summer, after all) and move on.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Well done to Russia for keeping up the good recordsfor the host (South Africa was always dire).
South Africa had to contend with France, Uruguay and Mexico, a very tough group, and they missed the 2nd round on goal difference.

Qatar will do well to get a point off anyone, might even end up goalless.

Ramos has been dropped I think for the Russia game. Who knows if the reports are true. Regardless I'm leaning towards Russia now. Luzhniki Stadium will be going sadistic.

Same boat as everyone else, surely Spain coasts through but this tournament is becoming the killing fields
No question if Spain play their best. The thing is, they haven't. We keep thinking Spain are going to to produce Spanish football of 2008-12 but thus far it hasn't been the case. Maybe in glimpses vs Portugal but even then they went behind twice and coughed up the lead late. Granted it was due to some poor keeping. They barely beat Iran and didn't deserve the draw vs Morocco, only got it due to some contentious VAR call.

Russia were great in their first two games and eclipsed them in a far more impressive manner than what Uruguay did. Uruguay were just coasting in their second game however and beat the Russians to a pulp for 1st place, although the Russians were missing their leading scorer and one or two others.

If Spain bring their A-game then they win but the question is can they, and can they do it long enough. Russia will surely be buoyed on by crazy home support and if they go ahead will be hard to stop.

I think this match is a fascinating encounter and could be better than what people think.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back